Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

• RMweb Gold

That's a VERY slow time from Kings X to Peterborough. No real chance of getting to Tallington after seeing it at Peterborough, or Holme to Peterborough either. Tallington Crossing has been closed for months and few expect it to open again, so you can park there.. unlike Holme. Peterborough platform 4 is pretty much as inaccessible as can be, there are no worthwhile viewpoints at Crescent Bridge or Spital Bridge. Sounds like "local knowledge" around the Town Bridge area is called for

The average speed on nett time looks to be c.45mph which means it will have to spend a lot of time running much faster in order to keep time.  So not exactly a 'slow' timing for an engine which has barely run-in and which is facing considerable pathing problems on an ECML weekday. 

Lucky and managed to catch her three times this morning.

First at Botany Bay

post-1685-0-71179400-1456322327_thumb.jpg

Then in full steam heading up Gamston Bank.

post-1685-0-28601400-1456322377_thumb.jpg

Finally at Cromwell LC.

post-1685-0-65838900-1456322420_thumb.jpg

It was amazing how many people where out, there must have been easily 75 at Gamston Bank, even a guy with a drone.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Average speed KGX to York, excluding stops, is 48mph. Over parts of the line she will match the 225 and HST sets for timing. An HST or 225 is scheduled to average just under 87mph for the same journey.

KGX to Peterborough net time (ex stops) is 100 minutes for 76.25 miles or an average of just under 46mph. Some of the scheduled running is at just shy of 70mph though for the section from Finsbury Park to Ally Pally, I guess she'll drop time there. Likewise Grantham to Claypole Loop which shows an average speed of 78mph on published times. As a comparison the AA Route planner reckons driving on clear roads from Kings Cross station to Peterborough station is 103 minutes.

And having said that published times for a 225 set in places suggest averages of as much as 170mph. All times and distances are taken from Real Time Trains so all my calculations are subject to the usual disclaimer E&OE.

Ok, the crossing I am thinking of is clearly the one you describe as Lolham Crossing - on a minor road off the A1143. I always see it from the S, or more correctly DON'T see it as it is closed as you describe. I used to go that way from Peterborough to Obthorpe and Kate's Bridge.

1604 KX to Peterborough and points N, left 6L - presumably to miss Flying Scotsmsn at Finsbury Park

103 minutes from Kings X to Peterborough would be exceptional under any road conditions! Probably do-able if everything was clear but not otherwise.

Edited by rockershovel

Watched the ITV coverage.

Apart from the usual confusion between train and locomotive I thought they did a very good job.

Emphasis was on the historical importance of having the loco back in service.

The cost was mentioned but not in an adverse manner.

The train did look impressive gently pulling away dead on time.

Bernard

60103 looked a picture in the sunshine at Camden Road Junction, on the webcam this afternoon.

http://railcam.uk/site/

I hope everything goes well for tomorrow's run to York.

Don't you just love this forum  - thanks for introducing me to another website to while away the hours when I should be modelling / working!

As others have said I heard some positive media reports about 60103 this morning - the BBC did say that she was being limited to 45mph today for 'safety reasons', I understood that the time taken to get to York is because the train will be looped several times to allow ECML trains to pass - perhaps it's a combination of both.

Les

• RMweb Premium

Same with most things, an idiotic few spoil things for the many. And then there are complaints about the nanny state because we have to use the lowest common denominator to protect these people with half a brain cell each.

• RMweb Premium

Same with most things, an idiotic few spoil things for the many. And then there are complaints about the nanny state because we have to use the lowest common denominator to protect these people with half a brain cell each.

Of course there are complaints about the nanny state, and its these idiots who should be on the receiving end of them, seeing as they're the root cause. What are they even hoping to achieve? I can understand (but don't at all condone) someone on the wrong side of the fence at the top of an embankment but you won't even get a good view from that close, not to mention that it would scare the hell out of me to be there.

I can see this incident being the main evidence, to mark the end of weekday, mainline heritage tours. To have to shut down the ECML at 9am due to the amount of trespassers walking along the cess next to a 100mph+ mainline, is just not on.

It's unfortunate should it come to this but It's going to cause loads of changes.

Alistair

• RMweb Premium

I can see this incident being the main evidence, to mark the end of weekday, mainline heritage tours. To have to shut down the ECML at 9am due to the amount of trespassers walking along the cess next to a 100mph+ mainline, is just not on.

It's unfortunate should it come to this but It's going to cause loads of changes.

Only if it happens every time there is a tour, if it isn't something that happens regularly then that would be a very disproportionate over-reaction.

A much better response would be to to throw the book at the trespassers hard enough to scare off anyone else with the same idea.

• RMweb Premium

Glad to see she is on her way again, but now 22 down at Claypole Loop having made back 16 minutes at Stoke Junction (she was due to be held there for 15 minutes). 

I get exactly the same problem of folk who 'know better' when I have my motor rallying hat on - had it last weekend with spectators who had stood in a specific spot 'for years without being hit'. Marshals with me moved them, first few cars came through and bingo, one went off the track exactly where they had been standing. Of course there is the 'rally cars bounce off me' hivis tabard available for them (and photographers) as well.

• RMweb Premium

I had a visit by a senior manager and someone from the RAIL a couple of years ago, and we got onto the problem of puffer nutters tresspassing. I suggested that instead of cautioning for them, we should actually run faster at them, on the basis that they wouldn't do it again, and maybe the message would get about.

The look on the managers face was priceless, and whats more he thought that was the way I already dealt with these sort of incidents, it took me quite a while to reassure him that I didn't......

What is it that these half-wit nutters? Do they think every other train has been stopped for the kettle? One hopes the BTP will prosocute them, and that the cost for the delays are added to the court costs that they pay....

Andy G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

https://twitter.com/BBCJamesA/status/702781075060367360

attachicon.gifClipboard01.jpg

Standing with back to traffic no doubt, possibly straining for that extra inch or two - but never fear, there's a guy with a "trains bounce off me" HV on.

<shakes head>

You think you've seen it all, then some people take stupidity to a whole new level. What on earth could they have been thinking that it was ok to take a stroll on the railway?