Flying Scotsman back on the mainline - 2016

colin penfold

Well said, my first fatal accident (suicide) was at Water Orton in 1966, aged just 18. Cleaning the pieces out of a Facing Point Lock is not fun. My second was Stechford in 1967. I still see the image of the underside of an overturned AM4 vividly in my dreams some nights.

Fully understand your thoughts on the matter and recollection/flashbacks, people who trespass have no idea of the trauma that can be caused!!! I will never forget an incident we attended at Northallerton several years ago, report of a loss of red aspect for the Bi-Di signal on platform 2. We attended as fault team on duty for a routine failure, what we found was anything but. TPWS modules showed an OSS (over speed sensor) fault causing the loss of red aspect, as we approached the on track equipment from the far end of the station we came across a horrendous scene of a suicide- a woman had leapt in front of a north bound coal train and damage to the TPWS grids on track had occurred. BT police were on scene and we unwillingly observed scenes that will never leave me. Some of these folk who wander onto the track should be aware of what can happen and that there's no second chance.

Getting back to the loco, what's wrong with the whistle? It sounds awful

An ECML tradition continued into the diesel era. I love Deltics, but those horns...Any flatulent elephants in zoo's alongside the line must've been doing their nut!

And now, we return to the topic at hand, rural bus services...no hang on, that's something to do with Hornby's fiscal performance. Apparently.

C6T.

• RMweb Gold

I know what you mean,after the chime of the A4 I'm always surprised BR didn't do anything special with deltic horns. The 91 got a 3 tone sort of chime but the deltics should have had something better

• RMweb Premium

I know what you mean,after the chime of the A4 I'm always surprised BR didn't do anything special with deltic horns. The 91 got a 3 tone sort of chime but the deltics should have had something better

perhaps they thought the engine noise was good enough and forgot about the horns?

P

• Like 6

Next Monday (March 7th) there's a 30-minute program called "Return of the Flying Scotsman" on BBC4.

I thought it was rather good. The usual errors re train and locomotive, but well researched, in respect of the interviews, with not only the people involved with the current restoration, but those involved in former times. Coupled with more coverage on the London area programme it was a good evening. I liked the point about the three classic trains all running at the same time for the first time in many a long year. The section on painting the locomotive I found to be of particular interest. Ditch the air brush and transfers and do it properly. :O How many modellers could replicate that sort of finish by hand? The general positive attitude of all involved made the arguments over the money spent seem rather pointless.

The crowds at all points of the KX -York run and the trials were unbelievable.

I did wonder that Hornby seem to have missed a trick. Having suitable merchandise available could have solved all their financial problems at a stroke.

Bernard

• RMweb Gold

Just as a matter of interest (I've not yet seen the reincarnated FS in action) is the whistle really that weedy or did the BBC tone it down to avoid startling viewers? 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Just as a matter of interest (I've not yet seen the reincarnated FS in action) is the whistle really that weedy or did the BBC tone it down to avoid startling viewers? 

John

So far as I can recall and am aware, yes, the whistle has always had that strangled note and been criticised as the big 'let down' of the locomotive. I recall a late friend expressing the wish that they'd "do something about that pathetic screech" way back in the late 1970s (and he was the ultimate Gresley fan). Of course the NRM's insistence on historical integrity will have a bearing on those fixtures and fittings where modern day regulation leaves them that option.

Regards,

John

I watched it last night and enjoyed it, and as Bernard says the part about the repainting process was very well covered. Looking at the brushwork and skill involved you can see just how much work went into the job back in the day when 60103 and its cohorts were still regulars in and out of KX, and just how good BR lined green looks on the East Coast Pacifics. Some of the in cab footage was beautiful too.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

just how good BR lined green looks on the East Coast Pacifics.

It looked pretty good on the West Coast Pacifics too - all of the Scottish Duchesses carried it, and it looked good there as well.

Ducks below parapet.

• RMweb Gold

It looked pretty good on the West Coast Pacifics too - all of the Scottish Duchesses carried it, and it looked good there as well.

Ducks below parapet.

You and me both...I suppose that it's because it's how I remember the A3s et al at KingsX in my spotting (and spotty) days.

I too always thought that the West Coast stuff looked really good in green.

• RMweb Gold

. Some of the in cab footage was beautiful too.

Apart from the bit on East Lancashire where Riley was talking to the camera and none of the other three were looking out while the loco was running tender first.

Something that always irritates me, film crews shouldn't really interview drivers while driving and the amount of times on TV shows when drivers are being interviewed they look at the camera rather than the road ahead

Just to change the subject slightly here, i have all the documentation for Scotsman at the NYMR in front of me, don't forget that the NYMR have a service contract with the BTP, and the BTP are planning on being around next week whilst Scotsman is running as well as whilst it is working to/from Grosmont.  There are LOADS of great spots for taking photos on the right side of the boundary fence (if you aren't sure PM me and I'll give you some of the better ones), if you do decide to go where you shouldn't (even on a preserved railway) you might get a really nasty surprise.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I spent last Friday afternoon sitting in the box at Weybourne. It was the NNR gala and they still sell lineside passes. But I said to my mate who is a director that these should be stopped. There were idiots all over and because they had a yellow vest even God was answerable to them!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I spent last Friday afternoon sitting in the box at Weybourne. It was the NNR gala and they still sell lineside passes. But I said to my mate who is a director that these should be stopped. There were idiots all over and because they had a yellow vest even God was answerable to them!

After a few incidents over the years we don't sell them on the Mid Hants.

• Like 1

Sadly there are many people who, whether they have a high-vis vest or not, feel they are above the law. The Great Central decided to police the line during special events to check passes etc. You get idiots everywhere and, it seems, there were plenty out in force during Scotman's official inaugural run.

Does anybody else remember a TV advert in the 1960s about the dangers of trespassing on the railway, which started "Let's face it, you either like trains, or you don't, and if you do, then there may no lengths that you wouldn't go to to get a closer look", and ended with the image of a dead boy lying in the four foot, with a model aircraft stuck in the 25KV OHLE, and the words "trespassers will be prosecuted, but there are some who can't be".

That sort of thing was probably very effective, but sadly, I suspect that you wouldn't be allowed to broadcast something like it these days, for fear of being sued for 'traumatising' folk :(

• RMweb Gold

After a few incidents over the years we don't sell them on the Mid Hants.

Thats probably best as from the modest income from them would be completely insignificant compared to a potential law suit in the event of an incident.

This would be irrespective of whether it says at your own risk on the pass.

A few years ago a car hit a spectator on a rally stage at Scarborough. On your ticket and on signs everywhere it says 'motorsport is dangerous you watch at your own risk' but this didn't stop the spectator suing the driver and the organisers. I don't know the result