Revolution to produce PFA/KFA container flat in N

Revolution Ben

Hi Gang,

I would have liked to plump for some GPS bogies versions....but my 5 just ordered are destined for MoD work...( containers already ordered) so some Tiphook with Y25s are the best option for me.

As I have invested heavily in Dapol and Farish spines/Megafrets/twins, then my container train will occasionally be supplemented/infiltrated by the odd KFA...or if funds allow, then another batch might get procured in the near future.

For now...I'm declaring a 'purchase free April' to reinstate some sanity to the bank account after the KFA and 320 ordering....

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Did the paper and aluminium flows terminate at Mossend/Coatbridge or sent on elsewhere?

They both went up the WHL to Fort William/Corpach.

I knew both wagon loads (paper and Aluminium) started at Fort William, what I was asking (badly worded!) was where was their destination?  i.e. can I add two or three wagons to a WCML Speedlink service?

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

The Paper went south on the liners to Tilbury i think and the Aluminum went on to Cardiff for processing,   

The KFAs could also be seen in Stranraer town at the yard with bulk liquid stuffs for a factory not to far away these were handled by Stockton haulage.

Regards Arran 

I *think* these wagons were used on a short-term flow from Falmouth carrying lead ship's ballast in the mid-90s, using two 20' Bin Liner style containers.per wagon (because lead is heavy)

Anyone got photos of that flow?

• 3 weeks later...

hi,

can someone help on the pricing aspect?

Ive gone to order two single wagons and I get quoted a price of £50 including delivery. The website suggests either £22 per wagon on early bird or £25 after. There is a £5 delivery charge quoted but for me that should be £49 or £54 if the early bird discounted is deducted at a later stage.

Ive looked on the FAQ page in case I am missing something but answers to the given questions do not become available when I click. 

Its not a major issues as we are only talking about a small amount of money but was just looking for clarity and to make sure Im not missing something.

Thanks in advance

Mark

• RMweb Gold

Hello all

We have received the CAD for the KFA010D version with VNH-1 bogies, rectangular buffers and body-mounted handbrakewheels.

post-420-0-53905200-1461595324_thumb.jpg

post-420-0-83313200-1461595325_thumb.jpg

This CAD has had some additional bodyside details added too.  The deck mouldings will be the same for the versions with GPS and VNH-1 bogies - in reality they are not quite identical but the differences are very subtle and largely comprise slightly difference positioning of some of the brake system components on the underframe.  The obvious differences - buffer shape, bogies and bogie-mounted hand-brake wheels - are being correctly depicted.

post-420-0-85072700-1461595980_thumb.jpg

Needless to say these are only CADs - when it comes to actually manufacturing the model some aspects may change.

post-420-0-46612600-1461595326.jpg

The VNH-1 bogies are nice, but I want the top edge to be very slightly smoother.

post-420-0-46025800-1461595327_thumb.jpg

Depicting the container mounting points caused some discussion.  The first CAD received had them modelled pretty much to scale.  We asked to see how the model would look if designed for Dapol containers, which have 1.1mm spigots at each corner, as we thought this might be useful to our customers.  However, our view is that to be strong enough the mounting holes are so big they significantly detract from the model's appearance, so we are going back to our original design here.

Original design:

post-420-0-70109700-1461595328.jpg

Modified to take Dapol containers:

post-420-0-43225400-1461595329.jpg

We are looking at other possible solutions to make adding containers straightforward for our supporters.

We have asked for a few very small tweaks to these CADs, and of course couplers are yet to be added, but we are optimistic that the CADs will be approved well before the Early Bird discount period ends, so no one has to commit to a model they can't be confident about!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Ben

By the time the wagons are weathered and containers added on top it will be very hard to note the different locations of the pipework so for me and I suspect many others, that compromise is a very good one.

Re the holes for containers, I glue mine on with canopy glue so the issue with holes being big enough goes away and canopy glue can always be peeled off if the containers require removing.

• RMweb Gold

Ben

Re the holes for containers, I glue mine on with canopy glue so the issue with holes being big enough goes away and canopy glue can always be peeled off if the containers require removing.

Hi Ian,

I hadn't thought of canopy glue - what a great idea.  Is it readily available?

cheers

Ben

• 3 weeks later...

IIRC the ones on the VNH1 bogies were more common for MOD trains - best bet is to look at something like Martyn Read's excellent site.

Helpful linky. ;)  https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/K-Tops-codes/KFA-Intermodal-flats/

(Note, collection contains all types of KFA, not just the ones Revolution are producing. TIPH 93424, 431 and 489 are examples of the correct type of flat with MOD box loads.)

Era - so long as you're talking fairly modern i'd suggest buying scheme #5 for the MOD traffic and #6 for Freightliner...

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the plan is for a short representative rake of the type seen in Oxfordshire over the past 5 years. I'll probably grab a pack of each and use the opportunity to phase out a particularly troublesome Dapol Megafret pair...

(That's also a dead handy website I'd not come across before)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Morris

Over the years both types have been used.

In this shot from the 1997 the first two have GPS bogies, the third VNH-1 bogies.  

6293794189_8a124f4c79_b.jpgFretconnection At Elmsfield. by neilh156, on Flickr

Browsing photographs on sites like SmugMug and Flickr suggests that at the moment the versions with the VNH-1 bogies are more prevalent.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

The VNH1 bogies were originally fitted to a number of wagons for use on trains to Muizen via the Channel Tunnel; these trains carried a lot of 30' Bulktainers and 20' ISO tanks, and the Euro-Twins previously used weren't really designed for ISO boxes. The Gloucester bogies didn't have UIC approval, and so couldn't be used on trains to the Continent.

• 3 weeks later...