Heaton Lodge Junction

2 hours ago, baglan said:

My wife and I visited HLJ on Friday last and thoroughly enjoyed a few hours admiring the scenery and trains and wondering at the fantastic detail.  Since then I discovered this thread and have really enjoyed reading the history of the making.  

I have one comment about the exhibition set up in Wakefield which I hope is constructive for future venues but was possibly not practical in WX Wakefield due to the building layout.  Everyone enters at the East end where there are a lot of interesting buildings and of course trains arriving from North and East through the tunnels.  During our visit there were a lot of people congregating in this area and staying for long periods.  Not good in Covid times and somewhat congested and jostly for those viewing.  At the middle of the model, near the junction there was more space to view the trains and appreciate the huge distance that the trains travel.  It would be better if people could perhaps enter near the middle, or at least away from a major point of interest, circulate one way and then everyone is more spread out when they reach the beginning or end.

Hi and thanks for the constructive comments.

At the venue there are only entrances at either end of the building.

I couldn’t justify opening both entrances as I haven’t the budget to staff both since they are 60 metres from each other. 

As with all exhibitions it’s impossible to control the flow of people, whatever you do. 

I did the best I could with what I had to play with 

• Like 7
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I was intrigued to see that there will be more scenic stuff on the fiddle side, I didn’t know that .

I noticed that no trains came down the long straight and went into the tunnel , they were coming out . Does the computer choose that or is it inconvenient to have them cross over the other running lines ?

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I was intrigued to see that there will be more scenic stuff on the fiddle side, I didn’t know that .

I noticed that no trains came down the long straight and went into the tunnel , they were coming out . Does the computer choose that or is it inconvenient to have them cross over the other running lines ?

There has been a problem with the pointwork that has temporarily closed that bit of line.

Kev.

17 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Hi Rob well spotted! 
The answer is I had a major failure with a switched diamond which needs a full day fix. So decided to switch that down line out. Shame cos it’s got a lovely working banner repeater on it. 
It’ll be up for next time! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeatonLodge40 said:

Hi Rob well spotted! 
The answer is I had a major failure with a switched diamond which needs a full day fix. So decided to switch that down line out. Shame cos it’s got a lovely working banner repeater on it. 
It’ll be up for next time! 

fair play , i was wondering if the BR was operable !

Hi Simon. 
Looks incredible and from reading the posts on here, it has been very well received. I’ve not had the chance to travel to Wakefield to see HLJ due to work commitments, but looking forward to when the layout goes on display in the Midlands. 
Out of interest, how many visitors did you have through the door at Wakefield? 
I know it would be difficult to put an exact number on this but what proportion of those do you think would be railway modellers Vs general public? 
Regards,

Bill. 

• RMweb Gold

We made the trio to see Heaton Lodge from Surrey over the weekend. It was well worth the trip and spent some time watching the fiddleyard, probably due to thats where I normally am with my own layouts at shows.

Only witnessed one hand of god interaction in that time. Plenty of trains running aswell.

Superb modelling.

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, roundhouse said:

Only witnessed one hand of god interaction in that time. Plenty of trains running aswell.

On my second visit yesterday we watched for two hours and didn't see any mishaps on the scenic area or fiddle yard. The whole operation seemed to be running well, much more reliable probably resulting from 10 days more running experience.

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 21:27, SHMD said:

There has been a problem with the pointwork that has temporarily closed that bit of line.

5 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

JLTRT

We used to be able to replace a piece of pointwork in a few hours but now it would take a fortnight to get the paperwork signed off.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Would be great if you can do Bristol Simon, I can't recall how much space you need as I presume you exceed the average sports halls used for the large south West shows eg Thornbury or Corsham? Also have you tried Shepton Mallet show ground?

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Simon,

congratulations on a successful first outing!  I wish you many more!  And I look forward to seeing it in the flesh, having followed the thread since Allan first posted all that time back.

might be a good idea to post the show venue requirements in terms of space, facilities, etc., on here and any other relevant fora?

Merry Christmas and a Happy & Healthy New Year

Simon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thought I’d have a couple of weeks off after the expedition cough cough exhibition.

So today I’m in the basement all day trying to clear it up and this evening making the first of 10 Heljan MPD sheds.

Not had a bash at one of these before but it’s going together well. 
This is for the fiddle/marshalling yard. I’ve also ordered a big quantity of brass angle to fabricate the first of seven 1 metre tall lighting gantries. 

9D5B8DE2-8488-41AA-8E59-043779FAF339.jpeg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for Bath & West Showground Shepton Mallet. No idea of cost mind. But local bike and car clubs put stuff on there so can’t be too prohibitive. A shuttle bus from Castle Cary station literally 3 miles away as Mr Evis does for Glastonbury Festival (Site a few fields away) your sorted, it’s whether the main hall is big enough!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wonder if u can get hold of the folks who own the vacant Debenhams buildings in town centres and use those. I know there is a huge one in Bury St Edmunds in East Anglia that would take the layout easily. And its only 30 mins from me. I am sure Bristol and all majot towns and cities are sitting on vacant department stores! Maybe one of the owners is  a railway modeller!! Who knows!

Edited by ianLMS
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, ianLMS said:

Wonder if u can get hold of the folks who own the vacant Debenhams buildings in town centres and use those. I know there is a huge one in Bury St Edmunds in East Anglia that would take the layout easily. And its only 30 mins from me. I am sure Bristol and all majot towns and cities are sitting on vacant department stores! Maybe one of the owners is  a railway modeller!! Who knows!

I was thinking the same thing.