Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

re How much do you spend on railway modelling per annum?

Well, I did vote, but with SEVERE TREPIDATION! Andy, you've got a LOT of nerve putting us all in danger like this. :O

If the CFO gets wind of what I even THINK I spend (probably an underestimate), I'm probably in fear of my continued existence on the planet, without a severe talking to! :jester:

This year's spending is somewhat skewed for me, as I bought four Heljan O2s. They had been on pre-order for about three years, so it becomes something of a lottery when they are released. I doubt that anything would cause me to spend that much in 2017, unless a manufacturer released a surprise O4/8.

Of course, when I have the money to afford a loft conversion for my layout, presumably that would count as well because it is really only projected to be a room for modelling purposes.

I suppose then my modelling spending could be described as having gone through the roof?

Not that I have any great interest, but I've wasted moments of my life I'll never get back scouring RMweb for this survey, but can't see it anywhere. Presumably it's to be found in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard', to which I'm not privileged to have access.

• RMweb Gold

I'm far too frightened to calculate it, though I can confidently assert that it's not as much as I used to spend!

I have most of the coaches I'll ever need, most of the appropriate locos in adequate or excessive numbers and more than enough wagons in certain categories.

There are still gaps, some of which will be filled over the next year or two, but I largely succeeded in my plan to amass most of the things I require in quantity while I was still working. The only major unplanned expenditure (not yet on the horizon) will be replacing my worked-over Bachmann Bulleids if someone produces a better range.  

However, thanks to Ixion and Dapol, I have developed a worrying yen for cute O Gauge tank locos, though I don't have space for an operationally satisfying layout in the larger scale. 

John

Varies, according to what I am doing. I am also in the happy position where I can spend what I want but don't need to spend very much.

For example when I was extending London Road by 17ft I had to spend quite a lot on plywood, timber, track, point motors, electrics/electronics, etc. over a two year period - probably £2000. Since then much less as I already have a stock of kits to build.

I don't use RTR as I model a period and railway company in a scale/gauge that they don't support, so I am not wooed by the various "must have" releases. Hence my stock purchases in the last few years have amounted to about £200 p.a., or less, mainly with just three or four suppliers.

Books are always tempting, but I have collected my "library" over thirty years or so and there haven't been any new publications I need to add for several years. I do have a subscription to MRJ and Society membership (three) costs me about £65 p.a. Attending shows probably costs about £350 each year for hotels, fuel, etc.

What ever the total is, over thirty years or more of 4mm model making, it has mostly been money well spent and probably a lot less than many other hobbies.

Exactly who is asking, and, if I say, who are they going to tell?

K

Me.  In a way you're telling everyone but no-one at the same time as it's completely anonymous but interesting all the same - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111965-how-much-do-you-spend-on-railway-modelling-per-annum/

In a discussion I'd taken a stab at an average figure and thought it worth qualifying (to a degree as it's a self-selecting sample).

Phew!

For a scary moment I thought that was my nearest and dearest's voice.

The correct answer is, of course: Oh, a good deal less than many people spend on golf/fishing/restoring an old sports car/ etc etc.

This answer should be given, nonchalantly, over the shoulder, while moving as swiftly as possible to depart on an errand of indisputable importance, which requires ones presence on the far side of the county.

K

• RMweb Gold

A bit of a sobering survey. Initially I guessed my spend, but later on I actually got the last 12 credit card statements out and calculated it. I had to move up two categories.

What I knew already:

• I'm lucky
  • Having recently (3 years ago or so) returned to the hobby after a long break, I'm playing catch-up and buying a lot of releases that I missed when they first came out

What it's told me:

• Modern image modelling is expensive
  • I need to spend less on trains to have any chance of owning a house capable of holding the layout I want..

I suspect my annual spend will drop over the next year or so; I've filled a lot of gaps now, so it's more a case of keeping up with new releases. Although Rapido (HSDT) and Dapol (Class 68) aren't helping my predictions....

Rob

Its quite possible no one has the faintest idea what they spend every year as it must vary depending on whether each year has the same interest, cash available and models that you must have. In my case, I have changed scales, houses and layouts over many years but at a rough estimate there are many thousands of pounds/dollars invested. Which over the years has not been a problem as we still enjoy food, warmth and a roof over our heads. So maybe 1K - 2K annually including gifts with books and all appurtenances thereto!

Brian.

I suspect there may be a degree of optimism bias in the survey answers with some people underestimating their spend for understandable reasons. "I don't spend that much do I??". It's easy to forget the payment made in cash at a show for incidental essentials, the direct bank transfer for the trader who doesn't take other payments, the odd cheque etc. Nevermind the "well last year was exceptional because the release of X (be it rtr or kit) and I needed X but that's not repeated this year. However if they release this l, then..." Probably also excludes the suggestions made to loved ones on ideas for presents.

Will be fascinated to see the responses though!

David

• RMweb Gold

Its quite possible no one has the faintest idea what they spend every year as it must vary depending on whether each year has the same interest, cash available and models that you must have. In my case, I have changed scales, houses and layouts over many years but at a rough estimate there are many thousands of pounds/dollars invested. Which over the years has not been a problem as we still enjoy food, warmth and a roof over our heads. So maybe 1K - 2K annually including gifts with books and all appurtenances thereto!

Brian.

I dont think its an average - its about what you actually have spent in the last 12 months. That might be a high year for you, or a low one - but hence the questions about whether you spent more/less last year, and whether you plan to spend more/less next year.

What's that Dearest?.....to much money spent....mumble....mumble,..... no, I can't talk louder, might wake the Parrot.......I am not trying to change the subject,...... you brought up Parrots.... Well... I may have done... I forget... What were we talking about.......is that the phone? ... No I am not walking out, just checking the phone in the hall....there's no need to follow me... no phone, ....Oh well... might as well go up to the railway room, sorry front bedroom.....Well our guests can still get in there, can't they......No.... I am not moving in permanently...... and put down the Parrot, I don't want him up there, feathers get everywhere......You actually have the statement, are you sure it is in our name? right address?, ...good grief........ that Parrot is costing us a fortune..........

Stephen,

With apologises to the memory of Basil Boothroyd.....

I dont think its an average - its about what you actually have spent in the last 12 months. That might be a high year for you, or a low one - but hence the questions about whether you spent more/less last year, and whether you plan to spend more/less next year.

I shall spend less next year as I have most of what I ever wanted and expect to spend less on trains from now on.

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

I shall spend less next year as I have most of what I ever wanted and expect to spend less on trains from now on.

Brian.

I certainly fall into the same category but my expected spend over the next 12 months might vary quite drastically (plus or minus up to £500) depending on what arrives and when.

In my own case, I've also noticed a shift in (planned) future spending towards commissioners and the newer entrants to the industry. 

Hornby and Bachmann still have quite a lot in the pipeline that I'll want, but once the Wickham trolley, the re-chassised Ivatt tanks and the Brighton Atlantic are out of the way, I anticipate that the latter will resume their usual position near the foot of my wanted list for another year or two.

I was planning to buy a set of the forthcoming ex-SECR Birdcage coaches but Hornby's rebuilt LSWR coaches will be more in line with my interests and have displaced them from my shopping list.

John

Archived