NEW OO gauge Crowdfunded Class 92 initiative

DJM Dave

Remember how Hornby had what appeared to be the cab of an O gauge 87 on display when they first announced the model, perhaps this was something produced like that on a larger scale so it was easier to look at the detail, maybe this chap acquired it and is now selling it on.

Dave has been selling his own personal stuff as well as NQP returned models at shows recently.

In the absence of fact we could go on all day about it's provenance and how this plays into the recent narrative.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Yep, possible - print a big one to see how it looks. Whether it's the seller or the person who printed it for him someone's telling porkies though, they clearly didn't stick a tension lock coupler on as part of the print so it could be dragged, and it clearly isn't engineered from the prototype.

I'd still have it though!

Edited by njee20

I am starting to think that maybe DJ did an overscale one to check details (a la Hornby 87 as mentioned before). DJ - often taking part in shows - then sold it off at one of them and it was this chap - who is now selling it on E-bay - who brought it from him. If so, doubtless DJ would have explained how the print was done from reversed engineered research from the original prototype, which would explain this chaps comments.

I brought a far number of things from traders at shows over the years and don't particulary go off and try to remember them all. The chap might have thought DJ was just another trader and not an actual RTR brand so did not particulary take note of whom he was buying it from.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

I am starting to think that maybe DJ did an overscale one to check details (a la Hornby 87 as mentioned before). DJ - often taking part in shows - then sold it off at one of them and it was this chap - who is now selling it on E-bay - who brought it from him. If so, doubtless DJ would have explained how the print was done from reversed engineered research from the original prototype, which would explain this chaps comments.

I brought a far number of things from traders at shows over the years and don't particulary go off and try to remember them all. The chap might have thought DJ was just another trader and not an actual RTR brand so did not particulary take note of whom he was buying it from.

Whilst the above is plausible,  the listing contradicts it by stating.

This took hours of reverse engineering from the real thing and hours of printing

Been sat on my shelf in the railway room since last year and my 3D printing projects have sadly come to an end

The plastic alone cost me £200 and I will never recoup all the cost that went into this, it was just a bit of a challenge.

Taking the listing at face value,  the seller has clearly stated that he created the .STL file to create the 3D print and also printed it at his cost, thereby claiming ownership.

If this were a test print by DJM why do they not have it in their ownership ? or is it possible that several were printed with or without the knowledge of DJM ? 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

This took hours of reverse engineering from the real thing and hours of printing

Been sat on my shelf in the railway room since last year and my 3D printing projects have sadly come to an end

The plastic alone cost me £200 and I will never recoup all the cost that went into this, it was just a bit of a challenge.

Taking the listing at face value,  the seller has clearly stated that he created the .STL file to create the 3D print and also printed it at his cost, thereby claiming ownership.

If this were a test print by DJM why do they not have it in their ownership ? or is it possible that several were printed with or without the knowledge of DJM ? 

This and many other alternatives are probably somewhere in the truth, but we're all making suppositions based on the 3D print looking like the DJM one.

It could be the seller did the CAD and the 3D print all by himself, it could be the DJM CAD and the seller had permission to print it, it could be the DJM CAD and he didn't have permission to print it.

Maybe he was about to launch his own crowdfunding initiative up against DJM but then he saw how crowded the market was becoming and decided against it, maybe even Heljan have an 0 gauge 92 in planning (heck they have everything else :)) that he found out about like Bachmann must have heard about Heljan's Peaks.

Edited by woodenhead

54 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Ah missed that detail. Maybe he worked for the 3D printing company and was handed this project to print. Or he managed to buy the CAD files somehow... Very weird. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

When I asked the question he explicitly told me that he didn't print it, nor did he have the CAD. But he would "check with the guy who does his printing" to see if he knew the provenance of the CAD.

He said he hadn't heard of Dave Jones or DJModels.

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, njee20 said:

When I asked the question he explicitly told me that he didn't print it, nor did he have the CAD. But he would "check with the guy who does his printing" to see if he knew the provenance of the CAD.

He said he hadn't heard of Dave Jones or DJModels.

And yet he sells O gauge bearings.....surely even a Hermit would have heard of DJM as with his past announcements of O gauge projects he was given editorial/adverts/announcements in various publications.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

You've got to love DJM, it's the story that keeps giving and supplies a never ending stream of melodrama and gossip for us all to enjoy! I'm just disappointed other manufacturers fail to provide us with such entertainment.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

And yet he sells O gauge bearings.....surely even a Hermit would have heard of DJM as with his past announcements of O gauge projects he was given editorial/adverts/announcements in various publications.

Yes, I was slightly sceptical to say the least! 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

You've got to love DJM, it's the story that keeps giving and supplies a never ending stream of melodrama and gossip for us all to enjoy! I'm just disappointed other manufacturers fail to provide us with such entertainment.

I think more 'endure' then 'enjoy' at this point :unsure::D

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Think it’s just me, but yes, he responded very promptly denying any knowledge of Dave’s model (although he followed up saying he googled it and it appeared a far better model than his) and maintaining it was a CAD from the prototype. However, in contradiction to his listing he says the CAD and the printing was done by someone else, so ultimately he doesn’t know the provenance.  

I assume he’s saying as much to avoid having to explain why he/his associate has one of Dave’s CADs, which is fine.

I’m a bit gutted it has bids, at £100 I’d have had it straight away!

Edited by njee20

On 31/05/2019 at 15:21, jjb1970 said:

I hope it ends better than Game of Thrones.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

On 01/06/2019 at 11:16, adb968008 said:

Two pages of speculation about this O gauge print could be ended quite quickly by someone following this link...

https://contact.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?FindAnswers&redirect=0&iid=273863732215&requested=designerdashtowels

Embarrassing 'mansplaining' posts could also be avoided by reading prior pages on this thread ;)

Edited by DavidH
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, DavidH said:

Embarrassing 'mansplaining' posts could also be avoided by reading prior pages on this thread ;)

Thing is, if that was adopted across the web you'd then be able to read the entire internet in a day and a half.

Not going to happen....

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

21 hours ago, JSpencer said:

I hope it ends better than Game of Thrones.

What's Game of Thrones? ....

OK, I've heard of it but can honestly say I've never seen one episode!!

Sinbad was enough in the 60's without another rehash!!

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Agree 2

18 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

What's Game of Thrones? ....

OK, I've heard of it but can honestly say I've never seen one episode!!

Sinbad was enough in the 60's without another rehash!!

Al.

No have I . But I understand it ends with everyone gathering round a big barbeque

• Informative/Useful 1