Comet coach sides - fixing

I generally use 2-part epoxy of superglue for attaching / joining parts when modelling. I think that an impact adhesive would be more appropriate for attaching Comet brass overlays to plastic coach bodies however. Can anyone advise please on the most suitable make of impact adhesive ?

Thanks all

Tony

I use a contact cement. Local brands here in Australia included Bear Brand (is that still available?) and Selleys. I roughen the insides of the brass sides to provide a key for the glue.

These glues tend to attack the plastic base coach sides a little, which is actually a good thing as that means that when the brass sides are applied, the glue "grabs" and remains attached to both parts.

I favour the use of contact/impact cement for jobs like this.  Epoxy is such a faff, I only very reluctantly use it - and haven't for a very long time.

In Right Track 4 (from BRM) on Detailing & Improving RTR, Tony Wright changes the side of a coach and uses impact cement to fix it. 

John

• 4 years later...

Just to "bump" this thread. When people say they use Evostik for brass sides onto plastic RTR, what is the exact type of Evostik used please? Just conscious that Evostik is a brand name with many different products under the brand...

Pointers would be very much appreciated as i'm losing patience with trying to get my GWR D125 sides attached to a Bachmann E158 shell.

Cheers.

CoY

I have used Dunlop Thix 0 Fix for years now. Used for attaching card sides to Perpex.

What helps with this is that it is thicksotropic (spellin?) meaning that you can apply it with a small brush and is it goes on it changes from a Gel to be more spreadable. Coat each side and when dry it's a contact adhesive.

Using a small paint brush means you can get the glue in much smaller areas.

I've got coaches build this way in 1972 and they are still perfect.

Dave

• Like 2

6 hours ago, kandc_au said:

Dave can you elaborate this method?
type of coaches etc.
Khris

Hello Khris.

No problem but I hope you don't mind me referring you to my series of postings about a coach build I did a few years back.

Hope it helps.

Dave.

• Thanks 2

• 8 months later...

Hi All, I have very little experience of working with brass but am thinking of buying some Comet coach sides to convert some OO-gauge mark 1s. Should I file down the plastic sides and then glue the brass overlays onto them? I’m assuming the brass is too thin to form a coach side on its own and needs a base to be attached to. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I’ve been searching for answers and am now more confused than before!

File down the sides to remove all the surface detail and roughen the surface, dont try to thin them down by exactly the thickness of the brass. 

You will probably find you need to enlarge the window openings too otherwise you'll be able to see the old sides where they don't quite match, and they'll be easier to glaze. You may well finish up with just the bottom half and a couple of uprights but that's fine, as long as two of the uprights are at the ends of each side. 

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Lee-H said:

Hi All, I have very little experience of working with brass but am thinking of buying some Comet coach sides to convert some OO-gauge mark 1s. Should I file down the plastic sides and then glue the brass overlays onto them? I’m assuming the brass is too thin to form a coach side on its own and needs a base to be attached to. Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but I’ve been searching for answers and am now more confused than before!

The brass coach sides are quite capable of being used without a plastic backing - after all, Comet supply complete coach kits.

In some cases, when converting Tri-ang Hornby Mk.1s, I have dispensed entirely with the plastic sides and attached Evergreen plastic rectangular, L and Z sections as the bracing / location strips to the edges of the brass sides.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 hours ago, Lee-H said:

You can stick the brass sides to a RTR Mk1 but when I did it the excess width really annoyed me so I cut the sides away, then the profile was wrong so it went on eBay.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

If you are attaching Comet overlays to RTR coach bodies, how do you prevent the coach from being too wide?  The brass is a about half a mm thick so two sides will mean a coach overwide by a scale 3 inches.  This is enough to be noticeable if the coach is in a rake with vehicles which do not have overlays.  The sides presumably protrude from beneath the roof edges as well.

31 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

If you are attaching Comet overlays to RTR coach bodies, how do you prevent the coach from being too wide?  The brass is a about half a mm thick so two sides will mean a coach overwide by a scale 3 inches.  This is enough to be noticeable if the coach is in a rake with vehicles which do not have overlays.  The sides presumably protrude from beneath the roof edges as well.

You file the face of the side down the thickness of the overlay!
Then glue the overlay onto the thinned down side!

Khris

• Agree 1