Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Hi 90211,

i am sorry to hear of your dissapointment regarding your model.

Can i suggest this solution to your problem? In less than a month i have some more green SYWP through, and i have some that i can use as spares.

My suggestion is that you enjoy your model for now, noise and all, and PM me just before Christmas and i'll arrange a chassis swap for you with one thats quieter?

Please PM me and let me know if thats ok for you?

cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave, I am most grateful. What great service. I could not ask for more.

• RMweb Gold

Hi 90211,

i am sorry to hear of your dissapointment regarding your model.

Can i suggest this solution to your problem? In less than a month i have some more green SYWP through, and i have some that i can use as spares.

My suggestion is that you enjoy your model for now, noise and all, and PM me just before Christmas and i'll arrange a chassis swap for you with one thats quieter?

Please PM me and let me know if thats ok for you?

cheers

Dave

Speechless, well, almost ;) Can't wait for next years catalogue, 'cos with service like this I can't see me not spending more with Dapol next year

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Outstanding service.

Given that there is an individual whose name crops up regularly with reference to Hornby we might legitimately wonder why something similar does not appear to occur with that business.

Top service and from a business starting to show just how good they can get their product in the two most popular scales as well.

The problem was that the prototype D6331 never appeared in all over green with the headcode boxes fitted, so to release it as such would have been a mistake, for both Kernow and Dapol. The bodyshell they've gone with for this first set of releases precludes any all over green ones I'm afraid, but the disc headcode version they will do at some point will be fine for this livery.

Don't give up!

I knew about the all over green issues, but Dapol said that D1000F, which is the one I pre-ordered would be released with small yellow ends instead which would have been fine. However, the guy I spoke to at Kernow said that D1000F was not going to be released at all at present SYE or otherwise and that I would have to choose one of the other numbers instead of D6331 and wait until they arrived. Possibly he misunderstood my query which was to ask why D1000F (D6331) had disappeared from their website altogether and not because I specially wanted an all over green one. I didn't want to cancel my pre-order but I was told I had to change it to one of the other numbers if I wanted one with SYE. However, in the event they had some D6331 models left over so I was able to get one anyway. I've yet to try it but it looks very nice. I had some issues with the some of the valances pieces dropping off but I found that if I partly removed the body and pressed the valances firmly onto the studs on the chassis before replacing the body they stayed attached OK.

Cheers

Keith

• RMweb Premium

This is a much-anticipated model and while Dapol has changed the numbers and livery detail several times during the gestation period they are at least trying hard to get things right. That has of course frustrated a number of us and may have caused some mis-communication between parties at times.

D6331 / D1000f was listed by Kernow as plain green until the change was announced at which time the revised details were posted. Kernow being a reputable business has now had to contact everyone with a pre-order asking if they wish to change or take the green sywp version. That takes time.

Have you actually addressed your concerns to the shop? Can you remember the name of the person you spoke with / signed the email (as appropriate)? I'm sure they would take substantiated feedback seriously but are unlikely to be able to trace someone simply known as Keith or "skin_2"

Kernow has advertised a very small number of D6331 recently which have become available as a result of cancelled or changed pre-orders. The remaining stock may well have sold out which is why, with a live stock level cybertill, the item vanishes when the last one is sold. If their allocation had originally sold out on pre-order (which is possible) then later enquiries may have been met with a negative response.

Hi Keith,

It's a shame about the mis-communication issues but I sincerely hope you're happy with the model you've actually bought. Dave was determined to get things right from the very start of the project, it's been a difficult process for all kinds of reasons with pictorial / historical research continuing literally up to the very last minute, as photographs of a particular loco came to light just by chance on the Sunday evening that Dave had to email China and give them the green light to add the numbers to the already painted bodyshells!

Anyway, I'm sure the next batch will have some ineresting numbers for us to peruse and other variants will arrive at some point ;)

• Like 1

Tha's damn right Nidge, and I know that it will be one of these future releases, some time deep in the bucolic summer of 2012, which will see me fill a virtual shopping cart with a couple of these, two Teddies and sufficient 4-wheelers to realise my latent Forest of Dean layout aspirations.

I have to second all those who've made the point earlier in the thread, that with this release Dave and his team have really raised the bar. Well done guys!

• Like 1

And there are two different plain green 600s coming :)

Which reminds me of something I was going to post elsewhere but I guess I might as well do it here..... a mate of mine came round do do some electrical work on the house yesterday, during the obligatory tea break out came the hydraulic books I'd bought at Warley t'other week as he'd not seen them and wanted a gander. The conversation soon turned to the early North Brits on the WR and I asked him if he could remember what they sounded like, as he'd seen D601 at Reading soon after it was delivered - he said they had quite a deep rumble similar to a Class 60 but with the high revving 'hunting' sound on top, as per the later Maybach fitted D8xxs. He also remembered seeing his first D63xx at Torquay while on holiday there around 1960, it sounded similar to D601 but the overall sound wasn't quite as deep. We've arranged for a jolly boy's outing to Swindon Museum in a few weeks so I might have to bend his ear further on such important matters!

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

My 22 arrived today and if I had to sum it up in one word it would be "impressed".

Before even seeing the loco I was drawn to the weight of the box. Ah yes, the box.

The box quality and design strike of a premium product, very nice.

Inside everything is very well packed and organised. As for the loco I am exceptionally pleased

with it. I know nothing of the prototype and just wanted something different in the diesel stud.

But now I think I'll be going for the BR blue one too.

I'm not going to comment on things that have gone before like tweaks and delays its all been said.

Its here now and its worth the wait in my opinion.

What I will say is that everyone involved in the project be that at Dapol or elsewhere should be very

pleased and proud of themselves for developing and producing a quality model.

This and other recent 4mm releases from Dapol is pushing them up there with the other 4mm big boys in the market. And with products like this, Dapol deserves to be there.

• Like 3

I Have now got a Dapol 22 in my hands and it really does have that magic 'small loco presence' - I do feel that all the fine tooling on the baby warship would be done much better justice if the livery could be applied with a bit more sheen -

Dapols Beattie (sp?) well tank has a lovely restrained gloss paint finish , and its that more than anything else that sets it apart from other plastic bodied steam loco models - it doesnt look like a piece of mass produced plastic - I think the 22 would look even better still if a similar finish could be achieved - any thoughts on this Dave?

tfn

Jon

Edited by 43179

Hi Keith,

It's a shame about the mis-communication issues but I sincerely hope you're happy with the model you've actually bought. Dave was determined to get things right from the very start of the project, it's been a difficult process for all kinds of reasons with pictorial / historical research continuing literally up to the very last minute, as photographs of a particular loco came to light just by chance on the Sunday evening that Dave had to email China and give them the green light to add the numbers to the already painted bodyshells!

Anyway, I'm sure the next batch will have some ineresting numbers for us to peruse and other variants will arrive at some point ;)

The model I've got is excellent, Dapol have got the 'hang dog' look of the loco's face spot on. It's full of well applied detailing parts (wire handrails and so on). Dave has certainly worked tirelessly to get everything right and managed to get the models here in time for Christmas. It runs very nicely too, specially on DCC as it will crawl very well. The only issue I have is that on DCC, the interior cab light only works at one end of the loco, although they both light up directionally on DC. I guess this is a decoder issue - I'm using the Bachmann 36-554 which only has one lighting output in addition to the directional loco lights so if anyone has ideas on a more suitable decoder I'd be grateful for any advice.

Cheers

Keith

I'm pleased to say that I have finally got hold of one of these lovely models.

May layout is DCC only, yet I note that the instruction leaflet says run-in for half an hour or more on DC.

For me that would require quite a lot of effort to isolate a circuit of track and I've not done i with other new engines.

I'm planning to fit a Bachmann 21 pin decoder and wonder - is there REALLY any foreseeable difficulty in running-in the loco in using DCC.

I HAVE confirmed the loco does move OK on DC by utilising an old controller and a straight of track.

Regards

Steve

• RMweb Premium

re cab lights and the Bachmann decoder. My understanding is you need a 4 function decoder to select individual cab lights (F1 and F2) The decoder mentioned is 3 function. I have used the Hornby Sapphire 4 function and all is well.

I have used A Sapphire decoder by Hornby and it works well, a little question that I can find a Answer is that I would like to put a capacitor but I am not sure where to wire it to. Help.

Terry.

Guest baldrick25

Don;t think that there is any provision in a Hornby Sapphire chip for adding a 'keep alive' capacitor- Its certainly not high frequency drive etc , and I'm not to sure if the feedback circuit used would be up to it.

Personally , there are a lot of other chips that would give far far better results , but if it works for you , fine.

I'm guessing its a 'keep alive' capacitor to which you refer.

Edited by baldrick25

If anyone is interested in alternatives to the Bachmann 36-554 3-function 21-pin decoder, which have 4-function outputs or more........

Apart from the Hornby Sapphire already mentioned, there are several other 21-pin options including (I've mentioned the minimum number of function outputs to show they have 4 or more)......

TCS EU621 (6-function) - available from Bromsgrove Models (£22.50), DCC Supplies (£21.58), DCC Train Automation (£21.58)

Lenz Silver 21+ (5-function) - available from various retailers, inc. Rails of Sheffield (£24.50)

ESU LokPilot V4.0 (4-function) - approx. £28 in the UK - £24 elsewhere in the EU

Zimo MX631D (6-function) £30+ ?

Zimo MX632D (8-function) £30+ ?

There are some others from different manufacturers that might be harder to source in the UK.

All of the ones listed are much more expensive than the Bachmann/ESU budget model, but provide better motor control and have a far larger range of CV adjustments.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Like 1