Dapol Class 22

DLPG

• RMweb Gold

Mike - I've not quite lost my few remaining marbles just yet! D6314 and D6327 in BSYP have long been on my list of favourite 22s 'to do' once a decent model had arrived, now that it has I thought ''well, why not''. We don't know at this point which locos Dave is going to choose for the next batch of releases so I thought I'd crack on and do my own, and anyway, all of my blue locos still get the Humbrol #221 treatment even if I bought them in blue livery to start with. The only bits of the Dapol bodyshell I won't need to repaint are the yellow panels and silver window surrounds, which leads me to those rivets.... I'm inclined to leave them alone as from a couple of feet away they don't really bother me. I can see why others might want to do something about them though, as per the Bachmann 47.

Nick - each to their own squire!!! The early blue livery variants fit right into my 'Summer of '67' scenario.... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.... roll on D600 and D602 as well! :D

I'm sorting through the HJ headcode off cuts I have to find suitable Sou' Western numbers, might have to mix and match to get the ones I want. For 1967 you need more Cs than Bs!

I'm with Nidge on the BSYP 22s, they are not as pretty as the Hymeks, but a bit different to the run of the mill GSYP and BFYE. I was going to go with D6331 as GFYE but will wait to see what DapolDave may say about forthcoming releases especially liveries. D6301 was apparently sans headcodes and BFYE at her bitter end - never seen a pic to prove this though.

Mike (Stationmaster)- you are right about the windscreen rivets - I was thinking that too.

Neil

I'm with Nidge on the BSYP 22s, they are not as pretty as the Hymeks, but a bit different to the run of the mill GSYP and BFYE. I was going to go with D6331 as GFYE but will wait to see what DapolDave may say about forthcoming releases especially liveries. D6301 was apparently sans headcodes and BFYE at her bitter end - never seen a pic to prove this though.

Mike (Stationmaster)- you are right about the windscreen rivets - I was thinking that too.

Neil

Perhaps if I keep posting these images often enough we may be successful! Would make a nice model shop commision/limited edition or how about an RM Web special? What would Andy think of this? Would be happy to allow the use of these images for this purpose no problem!

post-4697-0-20426200-1322322552.jpg

post-4697-0-66965200-1322322586.jpg

• Like 4

Neil

Hi Neil,

You're half right on D6301.... it kept it's discs to the bitter end but alas was never BFYE, it finished it's days in GSYP. You might be thinking of D6302, which did receive BFYE but with retro fitted headcode boxes. There's a shot of it alongside D6301 and D6303 (BSYP) inside BZ shed in 'Heyday Of The Hydraulics'.

;)

Edit : just remembered... there's a cracking shot of D6301 in it's last days at Laira in the Ian Allan 'BR Fleet Survey' on the Hydraulics, taken on 11th June 1967 by David Percival, looking extremely forlorn on one of the dump roads. It was withdrawn in this condition in May '68 and was the only 22 not to have headcode boxes fitted.

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some cracking character there - anybody any thoughts on what the load is in the Medfit behind the loco?

Pallets of bagged clay powder bound for the docks? A few spares for class 22s?

Edited by 2ManySpams

• RMweb Gold

Ok, here's an idea!

If someone supplies me with a spec for the wheels you want, how about I approach my Chinese factory and ask them for a price / feasibility?

No promises mind, but it might just be a profile 11 spoke option for the fine scalers!

Let me know what you think

Cheers

Dave

EM option for everything you do please Dave.

• RMweb Gold

Pallets of bagged clay powder bound for the docks? A few spares for class 22s?

Looks to me like some sort of machinery (possibly something agricultural?) and it isn't sheeted as bagged clay should have been.

In any case I would have thought it odd to send china clay from Cornwall to Bristol by sea to then tranship it to a railway wagon (unless I am very much mistaken the signalbox trying to hide behind the loco is Avon Crescent - which closed 05 Septr 1965 - on the branch which from Ashton Gate to Canon's Marsh Goods which ran along the north side of the Floating Harbour and involved several bridges including a double deck swingbridge over the Avon and two bridges, one of which was a swing bridge, over the locks between the Floating Harbour and Cumberland Basin). The train is running towards Ashton Gate, and away from the wharves on that side of the Floating Harbour.

Edited to add comment about the direction in which the train is heading.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Currently in the Extreme Etchings firing line along with Laserglaze and mebbe a couple of other ideas, but don't tell anyone, shhh.

Hope you told Brian though, that's normally quite helpful :P .

Some cracking character there - anybody any thoughts on what the load is in the Medfit behind the loco?

I was wondering if they were some form of Buoy for the docks but they do look an odd shape, its a pity the picture isn't more side on. It would be interesting to know who the original photographer was as there may be more in the set. From the wrinkles that copy was photographed from paper.

I ordered D6327 so I havn't seen one in the flesh yet, but from pictures I've seen of the model, it looks like the small grills are painted black. If this is so, shouldn't they be green? I've not found a picture of a clean 22 in green with anything other than green painted small grills.

any ideas on this?