Dapol Class 22

DLPG

Ask for Andy,  http://www.dccsupplies.com/

Hi Bubbles2

So I take it the blanking plate has failed.I am on dc and using gaugemaster controllers (both normal and feedback) and have had no problems with other manufacturers locos.Forgive my ignorance but who are DCC and how do I make contact?

Jack

• 4 months later...

The 2014/15 Dapol catalogue catalogue has no new releases of the split headcode blind Class 22, with one blue version still showing from the earlier runs - D1000H (Dapol ref) which is BR blue with full yellow ends D6328 - this is currently stocked by Hattons. There are 3 disc headcode versions, all in BR Green but with yellow panels

D6328 is not one of their best sellers for a fairly obvious reason.

This is the real thing: https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6054/6260767848_ab91a01a1d.jpg .

This is the model: http://www.ehattons.com/56924/Dapol_D1000h_Class_22_B_B_Diesel_Hydraulic_D6328_font_A_in_BR_blue_with_full_yellow_ends/StockDetail.aspx .

Spot the deliberate mistake.

As for a green one with headcode boxes but no yellow panels, the Dapol model depicts the batch D6313-32 and none of those carried this variation.

Geoff Endacott

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm also unconvinced by the Dapol interpretation of rail blue on these locos.  It's better (but not good) on the 52s and the weathering on those masks it to some extent.  But even the weathered 22s look a bit poorly sick in the colour department while the pristine ones look much too close to the green spectrum.

However it's what we have and they are generally good reliable locos.  Those here are among the highest run-time locos in my fleet and also about the lowest on down-time.  Quite a reversal of their full-sized fortunes really.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have had 4 class 22s and all have been sent back because of light failures , wobbles, poor pick ups and running badly in one direction. In the end I've given up and got a refund.

I'm on my third one having returned two because the lighting failed on both within a matter of a few weeks. It's also failed on this one.

None of my other models (Bachmann, Heljan and Dapol) have had the slightest problem.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Did Dapol ever do it in blue with small yellow ends? This is one of my favourites, it is not perfect as has been pointed out and the paint could be improved but overall it captures the look of the prototype well and since the real NBL Type 2's are a huge favourite of mine it is a model that is very close to my heart.

• RMweb Premium

As an aside, how do people set up the valances? Making these with the valances as separate parts was an innovative idea and it was wellexecuted but I can't help feeling it is another example of answering a question that nobody had ever asked. In this case I do think there is more call forit than outright gimmicks such as opening doors as the real things were often seen with some of the valances off but I'm really not sure whether this particular feature was worth the effort.

• RMweb Premium

The valence panels plug in easily and are numbered as well so the system should be idiot proof.  With five 22s in the fleet I find that on all the No.3 panel can be a little loose and occasionally slips from its correct position.  One loco seems to have all ten panels looser than the others which I can only ascribe to a slight difference (call it very minor distortion if you like) in the shape of the main body shell.  That is in the order of fractions of a millimetre and of no real concern to me.

The "fix" has been that one loco runs permanently with a No.3 panel missing and the others have then very lightly glued now that I don't expect to go inside again.  Lubrication can be completed from the outside.  It was fairly common to see locos in traffic missing at least one panel so the absentee represents reality.  

I like the innovative approach taken with these locos in terms of providing plug-in panels.  It has allowed a greater level of accurate detail to be represented than might otherwise have been the case and at a reasonable price as well.  It might take a little time to remember these locos should not be lifted off the track by their bodies but by the fuel tank though once the panels have been refitted a couple of times that lesson tends to stick in the mind!

I use Blu-tack or the stickier black stuff (Homelux Bath Seal), thus holding them in place while allowing me to change my mind on wehther to have the panel present or not.

• RMweb Premium

I pretty much just leave mine as all on now, with a bit of blue tack to hold them securely whilst still leaving the door open to remove them. At first I played around with them a lot but then decided just to leave them in place. I do love the overall shape and look of the model though.

• 2 months later...

Hello gents, apologises for bringing up a older topic but I got a N gauge 22 today in the post and some minor issues with it which I'd like to ask about.

Firstly when I ran it in after lubricating as per the Dapol instructions the motor sound has seemed to reduced abit but its really still kinda dentist drill whine sound still to is. I have read from google searches that people could get them running nearly silent and I've even watched a few videos on youtube of them running silent to.

I have taken off the bogies and cleared out the sticky/hard lubricant and applied gaugemaster oil with the precision applicator, its made is ever so slightly less whiney but its still considerably loud. What I mean by that is, I can leave the room, go downstairs and into the kitchen and still hear the motor whining as it goes around on the loop after 2hours in each direction.

Also when its going around on the test track loop on 2nd or 3rd radius curves, one specific cab end has on part of the curve a derailing sound but the wheels are not actually coming off the rails, it makes it for about 3-4secs then is fine untill it comes back around again and always does it with that cab end only. I have checked to see if anything is catching but I cannot see anything out of place and there is no visible friction marks.

I am concerned it might be gears making the derailing/knocking sound.

I am being unrealistic in regards to the whining on the motor expecting it to be quite silent, close to how the new graham farish coreless trains are? I have a few of those and they are deathly silently besides the clickyclack of the wheels, I have run it in both directions for atleast 2 and half hours each way and its just not really becoming any quieter and the oil hasn't dried up.

I also noted it seems to run quite warm even on a low/medium speed.

I have contacted the retailer I bought from and should hear tomorrow/or I'll ring them in the morning. I think this one might be a duff, does anyone else have any experience with this kind of issue?

Edited by Crumplezone

• RMweb Premium

I think this one might be a duff

No - it's definitely a class 22 ;)

But it may be a dud in which case an exchange would be a fair outcome.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Email from Gaugemaster:

gmlogo.jpg
OO Scale Class 22 Diesel Locomotive
Expected mid-2017
dapol_logo.jpg
2cc0b4be-e84f-443b-a931-5f80e6db1f19.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Hmm from the later batch 39/52/56 had different front ends to the earlier versions

early batch 6327: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6260767508/in/album-72157627930289750/

later batch: https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/6260768874/in/album-72157627930289750/

Excellent phots as usual from Brush Veteran of this parish...will that be reflected in the models? hope so! 

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed, and D6356 was delivered with a yellow panel, as were all others from D6337 onwards.

A better choice for an all-green loco, with the later headcode built from new, would be 6334, 6335 or 6336.

Edited by stovepipe

OO Scale Class 22 Diesel Locomotive

Expected mid-2017

Dapol have announced the production of five more OO Scale Class 22s with headcodes. Production will be limited, so place your order ASAP to avoid disappointment.

DA4D-012-004 Class 22 D6356 BR Green No WP Font A Headcode

DA4D-012-005 Class 22 D6312 BR Green FYP Font A Headcode

DA4D-012-006 Class 22 D6327 BR Blue SYP Font A Headcode

DA4D-012-007 Class 22 D6339 BR Green SYP Serif Font Headcode

DA4D-012-008 Class 22 D6352 BR Blue FYE Font B Headcode

Only £149.95 each

I wonder what colour the blue ones will be this time? BR blue would be nice but...

Luke

Dapol do seem to have some difficulties with BR blue: too light on previous class 22s, way too dark/purple-tinted on class 73s. Since there is a well documented paint standard, it is hard to understand why they cannot match that.

• RMweb Premium

Dapol do seem to have some difficulties with BR blue: too light on previous class 22s, way too dark/purple-tinted on class 73s. Since there is a well documented paint standard, it is hard to understand why they cannot match that.

And off the mark, though not seriously so, on the 52s.

The 22s are appalling and I can really only hide the "blue" livery behind heavy weathering to have mine look credible.  Luckily they were often presented in woebegone condition though a number of pictures exist showing freshly-painted blue ones looking really good.  

Fingers crossed.  Not ordering until seen due to poor colour on the earlier ones.