Updating 'Nellie'

Del

• RMweb Premium

Here is one that would look really nice in 0 or 1, I think http://www.semaphoresandsteam.com/p889354804/h5F5267BC#h5f5267bc

Why is it Bournville manages so often to gain and extra "e"?

Even the caption on that picture when the loco above it has it in zonking great letters on the side :scratchhead:

Keith

The Polly has arrived from Ebay, very quick, and although reported as "running, in need of service", runs perfectly. Just a spot of oil, heavy car is best, not 3 in 1, which creeps. Runs silent and very smooth, no load current about 70ma, rising at stall on 12volts to 800ma.

The magnet is in excellent condition, I do not think the motor has ever been taken apart. It has the two start worm, and I may turn up a replacement single start to double the ratio and half the speed, or fit a Markit replacement one

The brushes are as new, and of course can have new carbons added if needed,.

The chassis is free running, one wheel is a tiny bit eccentric, but it can be cured on turning the wheels down to P4. The axles are a very loose fit in the frames, but this is normal, unless brass bearings are added.

The wheels are the fully spoked type with a cast metal centre and a hardened steel tyre, pressed on. They are very tough wheels indeed.

Unlike the stored away body, the plastic is in good condition, just needs a clean and removal of some paint added b the previous owner covering the details like handrails with silver paint. The tear drop windows can be cured with plastic cut to fit and new brass window rims.

If it is used with the Auto coach, as a railmotor, the bunker will be removed to allow the coach end to be as close as possible to the cab, witha new subframe under the Autocoach take would fit a new  pivot under the bunker, on the chassis in the area of the existing coupling.

The joint only has to move a few degrees each way in P4 so it can be really tight structure around the joint.

The K's coach is in whitemetal, but can have lots of brass fittings added and a brass subframe made from curtain rail section brass. The weight of the front of the coach is taken through the pivot on to the Polly chassis.

But first re assemble and test on the 00 track.

Stephen.

• Like 1

The stripped parts for the Polly, could not be simpler, very few. The motor needs an insulating sleeve added to the hair spring to insulate both sides for DCC operation.

The single start worm that comes fitted on the small Mitsumi motors on Ebay fit the pitch of the gear wheel, and could be re-drilled to 3/32 to use on the Tri-ang motor. Some Mitsumi come with a courser worm that will not fit, the supply is a bit random.

post-6750-0-39937500-1477129752.jpg

The whole Mitsumi fits the space as well, and could have a flywheel added as well. The gear and axle could be changed to Markits as well.

There is little point in changing the steel chassis, it is accurate sound and strong, and can take brass bearings, or ball races. Brake shoes can be added easily, made in black plastic and glued to the frames.

post-6750-0-41405500-1477129567_thumb.jpg

post-6750-0-46291200-1477129452_thumb.jpg

post-6750-0-81068800-1477129467_thumb.jpg

post-6750-0-72323100-1477129486_thumb.jpg

To continue with the conversion to a Steam Railmotor I will start a new posting, the Ref will be posted here as well.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/116106-steam-railmotor-from-a-tri-ang-polly/

Stephen

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The single start worm that comes fitted on the small Mitsumi motors on Ebay fit the pitch of the gear wheel, and could be re-drilled to 3/32 to use on the Tri-ang motor. Some Mitsumi come with a courser worm that will not fit, the supply is a bit random.

attachicon.gifMitsumi Ebay RM.jpg

The whole Mitsumi fits the space as well, and could have a flywheel added as well. The gear and axle could be changed to Markits as well.

There is little point in changing the steel chassis, it is accurate sound and strong, and can take brass bearings, or ball races. Brake shoes can be added easily, made in black plastic and glued to the frames.

Stephen

Thanks for posting that idea Stephen, I have a batch of those Mitsumi motors, it is useful to know they are potential replacements for the Triang X04 motor and worm.  If they fit Nellie/Polly/Connie, I am sure they can be made to fit other Triang chassis that use the same gears.

Regards

Moxy

Edited by Moxy

#pedant mode#

Bellerophon has Allen straight link valve gear, not Stephenson. There are differences....

/ #pedant mode#

Had not looked closer than the outer sheaves on the axle,  Gooch moves the moves the drive to the valve via a joint to the correct cut off and Allen has a straight Expansion link that raises and lowers, leaving the valve drive rod straight. Allan is the easiest to layout in designing a valve drive.

Stephen

Quite some time back I had a Polly body, the C14 drawing from the RM, a Rotring pen and some idle time. Here's the result:

post-1877-0-01883700-1498918436.jpg

The biggest differences are the short smokebox and bunker. Though they're very slightly long it would hardly be worth bothering shortening the tanks themselves for all the extra work involved. The cab is a maybe/maybe not by comparison.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Like 1

Nellie is a pretty little thing, but I'm fairly sure that as Hornby made her she couldn't work. Surely the inside motion and the firebox would collide? She couldn't drive on the front axle, so the outside cylinders and valve gear look much more realistic.

Ed

Nellie is a pretty little thing, but I'm fairly sure that as Hornby made her she couldn't work. Surely the inside motion and the firebox would collide? She couldn't drive on the front axle, so the outside cylinders and valve gear look much more realistic.

Ed

That's why Bagnall used marine drum fireboxes etc., you could raise and slope the firegrate to get space, but it left valve gear exposed to ash etc. It is why most 040 small locos are outside cylinder to get around the problem. I doubt it occurred to the Lines Bros design team.......they made toys, not models.

Stephen

That's why Bagnall used marine drum fireboxes etc., you could raise and slope the firegrate to get space, but it left valve gear exposed to ash etc. It is why most 040 small locos are outside cylinder to get around the problem. I doubt it occurred to the Lines Bros design team.......they made toys, not models.

Stephen

All model trains are toys, it's just that some are toys for older people with deeper pockets....

• Like 1

I'll admit I am old enough to have been to the Holborn Basset Lowke store, and being told porky pies by my parents that Gamages did not sell Model Railways or toys!!, perhaps it was too down market as they always went to Hamleys for toys!

My father went in to buy a Bridges electric Drill and accessories from Gamages, and I had to wait outside in the parked car, (think about that one, parking, these days), I think on the theory that they would never have got me out of there if I went in. I think he bought some Tri-ang items that he did not want me to see before Xmas, that was the real reason.

My father liked Bassett Lowke though, and again parked the car outside, but I was allowed in the shop. He was after Wrenn track, but had to buy it at a model shop, Jones?, in Chiswick, in the end, who also sold Dolls house parts that he needed for a dolls house for my sister.

Much to my mothers annoyance he also bought a Garden Master cultivator in Gamages that day, so mum distrusted Gamages ever after!!!

Stephen

• Like 1

All model trains are toys, it's just that some are toys for older people with deeper pockets....

and there aren't usually lots of added bits to fall off the toys for younger people........Polly has nothing to fall off, except the track!

and there aren't usually lots of added bits to fall off the toys for younger people........Polly has nothing to fall off, except the track!

Oh I don't know. I think a search on eBay will find some with bits that have fallen off, sometimes with help from a hard floor, or a saw!

• RMweb Premium

Ed

It could have had Fletcher-Jennings' patent motion Ed, Like 'Dolgoch'.  Eccentrics on the leading axle and the whole thing does a 180 degree change in direction.  Tom Rolt described it as a 'very peculiar motion', and he was right.

• Like 3

Some years ago I repainted one into GWR colours as per a 'Junior Modeller' article. It was some time before I discovered the GWR didn't actually have one...

30398834252_b452bc844f_z.jpg

And a couple of photos of her older sister:

30515151155_5cbca341a8_z.jpg

30515140605_ed83901c7e_z.jpg

These two put in sterling service on the branch shuttle trains on my father's layout.

• Like 4

It could have had Fletcher-Jennings' patent motion Ed, Like 'Dolgoch'.  Eccentrics on the leading axle and the whole thing does a 180 degree change in direction.  Tom Rolt described it as a 'very peculiar motion', and he was right.

Even then, Dolgoch has outside cylinders. There would surely be no room for even the 'Fletcher, Jennings' motion on an inside cylindered 0-4-0.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Even then, Dolgoch has outside cylinders. There would surely be no room for even the 'Fletcher, Jennings' motion on an inside cylindered 0-4-0.

I take your point, yes. It would be tight, but there's three sets of Stephenson motion (six eccentrics) and a big end in a north-eastern 3 cylinder loco.  The Borrows well tanks had the motion between the wheels and frames, to show there are worse arrangements......