Hornby AA15 Toad Brake Van

Tom F

New tooling of the AA15 diagram, separate handrails and fine detail.

News just in, new for 2017 - two newly tooled  'Toad' Brake Vans featuring a very high level of detail including handrails, handbrake levers, underside and other detailing. R6823 GWR AA15 20 Ton Goods Brake Van 'Toad' 56866 and R6824 BR (ex-GWR) AA15 20 Ton Goods Brake Van 'Toad' W68571 will be available in late 2017.

post-24300-0-07855400-1480170994_thumb.jpg

post-24300-0-75815100-1480170994_thumb.jpg

Certainly welcome upgrade over Bachmann's ex Mainline offering.

http://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/stop-press-exclusive-warley-announcement/

Edited by 9793
  • Like 14

It looks good but i thought that the aa15 had the old style rod hangers for the footboards and the strip type appeared later. As the strip type are much stronger in model form this seems like a good move but in that case why not model the AA18 or later allowing those who wish to make an aa15 using Dartcastings bits and some wire.

Oakhill

• RMweb Gold

Are those upper stepboards not on upside down? Surely the brackets should be under the boards?

Half right. The upper step boards are the right way up, but the horizontal part of the "L" bracket securing the steps to the sole bar should be underneath the step itself.

It won't be the end of the world to correct if it ends up being delivered like that, but given the excellence of the rest of the model (got a couple of Ratio kits that may never get built now), it would be good if it could be corrected before final tooling.

• RMweb Gold

It looks good but i thought that the aa15 had the old style rod hangers for the footboards and the strip type appeared later. As the strip type are much stronger in model form this seems like a good move but in that case why not model the AA18 or later allowing those who wish to make an aa15 using Dartcastings bits and some wire.

Oakhill

Sometimes I hate myself for being so interested in this sort of stuff, but according the Greatest Book Ever Written (GWR Goods Wagons by Atkins, Beard and Tourret), on page 482, plate 653, later lots of AA15 had the strip-type footboard hangers, but they don't say at which lot number the change was made. 68690 definitely had strip and not rod.

I have to say; it is excellent!

Hornby_Toad_1.jpgHornby_Toad_2.jpg

Very, very welcome news indeed!  If it as good as more recent Hornby rolling stock - and it seems to be from the photos - it will be very good indeed and is long overdue.  My order for three or four will be going in tomorrow - just need to get my John Hayes type upgrade on the Ratio Toad finished soon otherwise it will never be finished!

Gerry

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a nice model!

Just one observation, however.

The trailing & leading footboard hangers should be of the tubular variety. Also, the intermediate hangers should be nearly vertical, also. They are all bolted onto the solebar of the van, and only have a slight angle downwards. Regardless of mark, you can't change the dimensions of the solebar in relation to the chassis, so they're all fairly constant.

Non-moulded handrails? Well done Hornby!

Ian

The trailing & leading footboard hangers should be of the tubular variety. Also, the intermediate hangers should be nearly vertical, also. They are all bolted onto the solebar of the van, and only have a slight angle downwards. Regardless of mark, you can't change the dimensions of the solebar in relation to the chassis, so they're all fairly constant.

Apparently not....

4968631892_c44b2582bc.jpg

GWR_wagon_AA15_TOAD_68684.jpg

• Like 4

The AA15 was a long-lived diagram, and went through a few mods. I'm pleased Hornby has chosen J-hangar suspension and a GWR axlebox, even if the box looks a bit undernourished for that weight. (Later ones got shackle and RCH respectively, I think.)

The spring leafs themselves are crude though, and are probably best left plain. The self-contained buffers look excellent, but I hope Hornby has got them at the right transverse pitch.

Please lose the rivets on the roof endcappings!!  (Why do manufacturers put these on wooden roofs?)

Overall though, this is a quantum leap ahead. Excellent.

Oh Thankyou God !

Now I won't have to scrape the handrails off my Ratio Toad kits....which will be disposed of once Hornby have their's for sale.

A brilliant move by Hornby....AND LONG OVERDUE. Why have we had to suffer crap toads all these years ?

Edited by CLIVE MARK

The AA15 was a long-lived diagram, and went through a few mods. I'm pleased Hornby has chosen J-hangar suspension and a GWR axlebox, even if the box looks a bit undernourished for that weight. (Later ones got shackle and RCH respectively, I think.)

The spring leafs themselves are crude though, and are probably best left plain. The self-contained buffers look excellent, but I hope Hornby has got them at the right transverse pitch.

Please lose the rivets on the roof endcappings!!  (Why do manufacturers put these on wooden roofs?)

Overall though, this is a quantum leap ahead. Excellent.

I agree the suspension is very undernourished and the axle boxes look like roller bearings. But, why the comment about the roof end cappings. These had a clear strip which was bolted down. Precious few models make any attempt to show how the roof covering was fixed to the end.

Paul

Paul

Very, very welcome news indeed!  If it as good as more recent Hornby rolling stock - and it seems to be from the photos - it will be very good indeed and is long overdue.  My order for three or four will be going in tomorrow - just need to get my John Hayes type upgrade on the Ratio Toad finished soon otherwise it will never be finished!

Gerry

Whilst on matters Hornby and GWR I was rather hoping that there would be news of a second run of the stunning Collett Bow Enders - this time in post war Hawksworth livery - and perhaps a Collett Bow Ended Restaurant Car to go with them!  Mustn't be greedy though!

Whilst on matters Hornby and GWR I was rather hoping that there would be news of a second run of the stunning Collett Bow Enders - this time in post war Hawksworth livery - and perhaps a Collett Bow Ended Restaurant Car to go with them!  Mustn't be greedy though!

Agree.  I'd settle for a Brake Comp, though.

As Patsy once said, you can never have enough hats, bags and shoes.

Well, for me that would be Full Brakes, Brake Composites and Siphon Gs!

I suppose the ever popular K38 might be on the cards, though a K40 would be a lot more useful (but require a different u/f).