Dapol's new Class 68 locomotives

Nobby (John)

I am also getting more concerned with the sound ones as some retailers have had them and sold out by the looks of it yet others don't appear to have had any at all. Perhaps it is just busy in Chirk with these and the MJAs as well having now arrived so maybe another few weeks patient waiting is required.

I see the initial DRS ones have proved very popular with prices now ridiculous money (£179 upwards), are Dapol doing another run.

If they do hopefully they will get the livery right on both sides and leave the nameplates for the owner to fit. They could include a bit of double sided sticky tape to assist in that and make it obvious to owners how to attach them without getting glue everywhere.

Joel Dapol wrote on Dapol's Digest 4 weeks ago:

"Perhaps with respect to plates, in future we may print the plates rather than fit an etch. This is far more controllable if there are thousands of models to be produced and these can be say 5% undersized. Modellers can then purchase their own after market parts here in the UK to fit over (if desired)..."

Or print them 5% underscale and supply etched ones in a bag which is the right solution for everyone. I'd prefer them not to be printed at all (makes it easier to rename to a shorter one without having to rub remove any printing) but that seems a fair compromise for everyone.uu

• RMweb Premium

Or print them 5% underscale and supply etched ones in a bag which is the right solution for everyone. I'd prefer them not to be printed at all (makes it easier to rename to a shorter one without having to rub remove any printing) but that seems a fair compromise for everyone.uu

And for those that don't/won't/can't fit nameplates, then they'll complain that they are underscale.

Renaming over printed names isn't always practical - what if the new name is shorter than the printed one?

Unfortunately, there is no one size fits all solution.

Cheers,

Mick

I was searching for the reason why Chiltern Railways replaced 67s with 68s and found this article, which makes a fascinating read. I think it might have been written before a couple of 68s caught fire. :scared:

http://www.railmagazine.com/operations/franchises/a-different-class

The article states, “…we’ve changed the hand rails, because the originals proved to be a bit slippery in the wet. So we are in the process of having them photo-etched just to give them a bit more grip.”

The fixing bolts have been changed as well, obviously.

Re the replacement of 67s.

The reliability of the 67s was not sufficient compared with the offering for the 68s. The 68s despite the turbo charger incidents have lived up to this promise so far.

The acceleration characteristics of the 67 didn't match the 168s, so the locomotive hauled services had to have a longer journey time not ideal for the premier services that they were allocated. The 68s promised and have proved as being able to match or better a 168.

Edited by banburysaint

I got a reply from Dapol about the next run of the 68's .....  I also asked about the Class 88 .....

"We are getting the information together now and hopefully, the second batch should be with different numbers should be with us before the end of the year. With regard to the Class 88, we do not have the permissions as yet I am afraid"

Just in time as Christmas Presents ...  :)

And for those that don't/won't/can't fit nameplates, then they'll complain that they are underscale.

To be fair, I have always found when applying etched nameplates over printed plates on Bachmann and Hornby models that it is usually the case that the printed plates are indeed already a millimeter or so underscale anyway.  So it would appear that existing manufacturers have been doing exactly this for many years and I'm yet to hear anyone complain of 'underscale' nameplates? 

Renaming over printed names isn't always practical - what if the new name is shorter than the printed one?

Again, no different to what anyone has to do already with any loco that has printed nameplates, surely?  I'm also pretty certain I read somewhere that Dapol intend to eventually produce most, if not all, examples of the 68, and with the 68s being a small fleet anyway that would seem realistic I would have thought?  So, the options would be either wait until your preferred specific example is produced, or select an existing example, with a shorter name, as your base model and rename from there.  Again, as anyone would do already.

At the end of the day, all of the above, even allowing for any inconveniences of being "unable to rename", or unwilling/unable to apply plates, is surely better than drunken glued-on skew-whiff plates straight out of the box.

Edited by YesTor

Guest Midland Mole

With regard to the Class 88, we do not have the permissions as yet I am afraid"

Interesting, I wonder if any other company will ninja those before Dapol get the chance?

Alex

Interesting, I wonder if any other company will ninja those before Dapol get the chance?

Alex

I suppose DRS might give Dapol a hard time over the livery printing error. All the same, that apart, I think Dapol did them proud with the 68s and DRS would be wise to stick with Dapol for the 88s, once botties had been smacked.

• RMweb Premium

Again, no different to what anyone has to do already with any loco that has printed nameplates, surely?  I'm also pretty certain I read somewhere that Dapol intend to eventually produce most, if not all, examples of the 68, and with the 68s being a small fleet anyway that would seem realistic I would have thought?  So, the options would be either wait until your preferred specific example is produced, or select an existing example, with a shorter name, as your base model and rename from there.  Again, as anyone would do already.

At the end of the day, all of the above, even allowing for any inconveniences of being "unable to rename", or unwilling/unable to apply plates, is surely better than drunken glued-on skew-whiff plates straight out of the box.

Completely agree that anything is better than skewed/badly glued plates, but my point is that whatever is chosen - printed, pre-applied properly, supplied but not applied -  it'll never please everyone. I'm in the - I'll stick the plates on myself camp.

So the sensible option for Dapol - if they intend to do more locos, is to make sure that they choose one with the shortest name. Probably 68004 or 68009 (but that should really have AAR connectors on the bufferbeam [*] except for it's first couple of months)

Unless 68026-034 turn up with even shorter names

Cheers,

Mick

[*] has anyone fitted a cosmetic AAR socket to the silver ones yet?

I suppose DRS might give Dapol a hard time over the livery printing error. All the same, that apart, I think Dapol did them proud with the 68s and DRS would be wise to stick with Dapol for the 88s, once botties had been smacked.

I hope they do. If I was DRS I would not be amused.

Having purchased nine Dapol locos in the last few years (22, 52, 73) and having written an email to them about my 68 cocked nameplate, I did not even get the courtesy of a response! Yes, mistakes happen, but being rude by not bothering to respond to my email is unforgivable. So I hope the 88 goes to another, my preference for Hornby or Bachmann.  

Got the first of 2 DCC fitted locos today, 68005, really impressed with it, straight plates, no glue marks, no damaged yellow ends. Had to smile though in the accessories pack, had 2 tension lock coupling in the bag plus the one on the loco but no second valance.

I've now got 2 of the 68s - one I bought DCC ready and the other DCC fitted.  Both locos look close to perfect with nameplates more or less level and only a couple of very minor paint issues - overall though they have the wow factor and rank (to me) as two of best models I've yet bought.  However I am totally perplexed regarding DCC lights...

Starting with DCC fitted loco - it drives perfectly and F0 activates the main lights as advertised.  However the rest of the functions don't seem to perform as the instructions suggest - one of the push pull settings puts both front and rear lights on (same as F0) and other doesn't result in any lighting at all.  The Halos work but then other functions do nothing.  Given this was supplied with DCC chip on board and I've changed nothing, I am confused...  My controlled is a NCE ProCab.

For the DCC ready loco I have switched the switches as per the instructions, installed a Zimo decoder (I think MX644D non sound), reset the CV as suggested in an earlier post and have got a setup that is bizarre in the least.  Again F0 OK but the other functions are all over the place with what seems to be a random array of which lights work or don't.  I am not overly familiar with the real thing and the various modes of lighting which might be part of the issue...

Request to some of you more knowledgeable folks - how should the lights operate on these locos (as they may be ok but I am misunderstanding)?  Am pretty sure there is an issue with my DCC fitted one but has anyone else encountered this and how did you remedy?  I am loathe to send any back as I am pleased otherwise but somewhat perplexed by the lighting! 

M

• Like 1

Today at Ally Pally a Dapol chap told me on asking that more DRS livery 68's are hopefully going to be produced before the year is out (numbers not yet known). Also he suggested Dapol were quite embarrassed about the DRS livery saga and should be corrected on the next batch. No decision had been made on the nameplate situation on the next batch as he suggested everyone is asking for something different.

how should the lights operate on these locos (as they may be ok but I am misunderstanding)?  

F0 light engine mode. This works exactly like any other loco. Reds and whites switch automatically.

F14 Halo lights .

F19 Train mode, train at #1 end. No lights next to the train. Lights st the opposite end reverse automatically when pulling or propelling. Directional sounds (eg horns) only play when loco is leading. Halo lights can be added with F14 (when loco is leading).

F20 Train mode, train at #2 end. As above but the other way round.

F21 Red tail lights both ends.

All the above are correct with a Loksound V4 chip.

I've now got 2 of the 68s - one I bought DCC ready and the other DCC fitted.  Both locos look close to perfect with nameplates more or less level and only a couple of very minor paint issues - overall though they have the wow factor and rank (to me) as two of best models I've yet bought.  However I am totally perplexed regarding DCC lights...

Starting with DCC fitted loco - it drives perfectly and F0 activates the main lights as advertised.  However the rest of the functions don't seem to perform as the instructions suggest - one of the push pull settings puts both front and rear lights on (same as F0) and other doesn't result in any lighting at all.  The Halos work but then other functions do nothing.  Given this was supplied with DCC chip on board and I've changed nothing, I am confused...  My controlled is a NCE ProCab.

For the DCC ready loco I have switched the switches as per the instructions, installed a Zimo decoder (I think MX644D non sound), reset the CV as suggested in an earlier post and have got a setup that is bizarre in the least.  Again F0 OK but the other functions are all over the place with what seems to be a random array of which lights work or don't.  I am not overly familiar with the real thing and the various modes of lighting which might be part of the issue...

Request to some of you more knowledgeable folks - how should the lights operate on these locos (as they may be ok but I am misunderstanding)?  Am pretty sure there is an issue with my DCC fitted one but has anyone else encountered this and how did you remedy?  I am loathe to send any back as I am pleased otherwise but somewhat perplexed by the lighting! 

M

Hi Matt, I'm having the same issue with my DCC fitted loco, F1 is no different to F0, can't check F2 as I have a prodigy advance 2 controller which is set for momentum and can't be changed - some CV's to be changed.

I'd of thought only one end lights would be working in push/pull mode too.

I've got a similar problem with the zimo MX634d which I've set to a C variant, still need to try it with the Other CV changes.

Cheers

Ali

No decision had been made on the nameplate situation on the next batch as he suggested everyone is asking for something different.

I'm baffled as to how Dapol seem to be turning what is really a quite straightforward issue into something ridiculously complex.  Why not simply do as Bachmann and Hornby have been doing for a number of years...  ie. printed nameplates with etched plates in a bag. 

Having Dapol pre-fit the plates is all very well assuming that:

1. the plates are the correct size - which they aren't, they are clearly too large
  2. the plates are fixed on perfectly horizontally
  3. the plates are fixed on without visible glue residue

If none of the above can be achieved - which clearly it cannot, it seems - then the "plates in a plastic bag" option at least allows the user to replace incorrect sized plates with some that are correct and also affix them themselves.

M

I purchased 68002 Intrepid with Sound today at the Dapol stand at Ally Pally and wait for it...the price...£200, I nearly fell over backwards and had to ask twice that it had sound & making sure it was only 200 notes and then my credit card just flew out of my wallet lol...

Anyway, I have just done a brief test and I may have the same issue with the light functions, F21 Parking Mode switches both cab lights on but No:1 end still has the forward lights on but doesn't have reds on both ends as stated in the doco, the other thing I noticed I can't switch off the lights using F0 but my Halo's work and I'm using a Gaugemaster Prodigy DCC02 Advance.

Have got a massive headache from being at Ally Pally all-day thus will do a more extensive test tomorrow and compare with my Biff fitted 68005 and come back to this thread with further info.

Got the first of 2 DCC fitted locos today, 68005, really impressed with it, straight plates, no glue marks, no damaged yellow ends. Had to smile though in the accessories pack, had 2 tension lock coupling in the bag plus the one on the loco but no second valance.

I've had a nightmare with valances, emailed first and felt very fobbed off, rang and was told "I'll send the one out that's in my hand now" after 2 weeks with no sign I rang again to be told "we've got none, but we will get back to you" still waiting. Other than that it's a fine model, it's just the small bits letting Dapol down.