White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam

Every aspect of this layout shouts "just right" - bravo!

Do you mind me asking - is the diamond crossing (from the loop to the loco shed road) standard Peco?

Regards

Steve

Yes, Steve, in fact it's all standard Peco track.

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

I've just found your layout via another thread, got to say how fantastic it is, loads to inspire me.

I've a couple of questions, appologies if I've missed it but what have you used for ballast and ground cover, also what radius are the points and do you worry about buffer locking?

Many thanks.

Steve

2 hours ago, sb67 said:

I've just found your layout via another thread, got to say how fantastic it is, loads to inspire me.

I've a couple of questions, appologies if I've missed it but what have you used for ballast and ground cover, also what radius are the points and do you worry about buffer locking?

Many thanks.

Steve

Hi Steve,

The ballast and groundcover is all beach sand; washed and boiled to get the salt and any creepy-crawlies out of it and held down by diluted PVA glue. The points are Peco electrofrog, code 75, of the smallest and tightest radius available. I've never given any thought to buffer locking as it never happens.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Nice to see your article on this layout in January 2020's Railway Modeller Dave. Really enjoyed reading it.

There's tomorrow afternoon gone for a Burton then... Really love this layout, trying to keep myself from building a facsimile of it for myself but struggling!

Ralf

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That would appear to be a good reason to buy RM then. 

Outside of MRJ, bought regardless,  I only buy other magazines if there is a special something that month.......and this layout is definitely something special. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
On Friday, December 13, 2019 at 23:22, Ralf said:

Really love this layout, trying to keep myself from building a facsimile of it for myself but struggling!

Ralf

My thoughts exactly, Ralf. A very inspirational layout. 

Rob. 

• RMweb Premium

I Brilliant Dave love this little micro.

I bought RM today on the back of comments here! Not had a read yet but Peco probably done ok from featuring your lovely little layout Dave!

Doubt I’m alone.......

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

I bought RM today on the back of comments here! Not had a read yet but Peco probably done ok from featuring your lovely little layout Dave!

Well I hope they listen to Dave's comment about short radius bullhead points too... 

Ralf

• Agree 1

I blame Dave for my latest jaunt into a BR/NCB micro layout. That RM article inspired me to get building.

Now I'm eyeing up the Hornby B2 Peckett from Rails. Doesn't help that the shop is about 10 minutes drive from my workplace. :help::help:

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, DanielB said:

I blame Dave for my latest jaunt into a BR/NCB micro layout. That RM article inspired me to get building.

Now I'm eyeing up the Hornby B2 Peckett from Rails. Doesn't help that the shop is about 10 minutes drive from my workplace. :help::help:

Go on, you know you want to!!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Congratulations upon the article in The Railway Modeller - of course, it is all familiar to readers of RMweb but deservedly getting a print audience. 

Personally I love what you did with the Mainline hopper wagons and will, at some point, attempt the same myself!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2019 at 09:53, DanielB said:

Where can we read about your progress? Looking at getting started myself soon (so I've been saying for a long time!)

Ralf