A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

A Peckett would add to the overall picture in a pre-modernist overture to the post - modern dictatorial homage which nods at the  totalitarian approach on the subject of light and shade. 

Rob. 

Whilst I appreciate the erudite and not-inconsequential contribution you have eloquently expounded in your espistle, I am drawn to the conclusion that expenditure on such frivolous items such as Peckett would be counterproductive to the south-westerly and Cornish ambiance I am attempting to portray.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Whilst I appreciate the erudite and not-inconsequential contribution you have eloquently expounded in your espistle, I am drawn to the conclusion that expenditure on such frivolous items such as Peckett would be counterproductive to the south-westerly and Cornish ambiance I am attempting to portray.

To quote the well known leader of the Cornish Communist Party, Leon Karl 'Trotsky' Trelenin-Marx; 

'A Peckett deprives no man of the power to appropriate the products of society: all that it does is to deprive him of the power to subjugate the labor of others by means of such appropriation. It has been objected, that upon the abolition of private property all work will cease, and universal laziness will overtake us.'

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Looked at those too and almost tempted, but not for this layout, nor for Tinners. 

And not for either of the next two planned layouts either.

Same goes for the cute tram locos - just not right for my needs.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

Which leaves the one on the right being?

Well, it's either the moon or your layout is set on a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri A and the light on the right is that of either it's twin star Alpha Centauri B or the slightly more distant Proxima Centauri.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Not too sure about the two glare areas at the back corners. I need to add a full cover which will remove any room lighting. Happy with the slight coldness too, as mentioned it suits a wintery day.

If once you've added a lid and the glare areas persist,  it might help to line the inside of the lid with Bako foil or a similar product to reflect the light.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The Bright lights of Newquay?

Now I haven't seen this show advertised, presumably its the same place as last year, in the Village hall. Will have to make the long trek along the A3075 again! 

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The one on the left could the wintry sun, trying to shine through the clouds.

10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

The prodigal sun?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Possibly, possibly not. I have a Peckett that I plan to convert to a (slightly overscale) representation of a Port of Par Bagnall.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Of course, there is a Peckett in the Wheal Martyn China Clay museum, an engine which used to work in the area on the Lee Moor tramway, but that's completely by-the-by and not relevant in the slightest.

Wheal Martyn "Lee Moor No 1"

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Of course, there is a Peckett in the Wheal Martyn China Clay museum, an engine which used to work in the area on the Lee Moor tramway, but that's completely by-the-by and not relevant in the slightest.

The gauge is closer to scale...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I can't help thinking you are undermining your own position here, Stu...

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

See, I told you so. What you need is a Peckett. 

Rob 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Stu mate,

Don't you listen to them. What they need is a fleet of these and then they can lend you one.

52 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

See, I told you so. What you need is a Peickett. 

Rob 

Next time they tell you you need a Pickett, you tell them "if I had a nose like that I would be very tempted".

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

One little Ruston would be suitable for DM4MS, far more so than a Peckett.

As for Tinners, the Peckett would be too far from home base to be believable.

I can't see one at The Stores ( not built yet but in planning) either.

Howver, should the larger garage based split level BLT with wharf ever get built, one would look quite at home on the quayside.

So do I get one now, just in case?

Or wait for the Ruston 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

One little Ruston would be suitable for DM4MS, far more so than a Peckett.

As for Tinners, the Peckett would be too far from home base to be believable.

I can't see one at The Stores ( not built yet but in planning) either.

Howver, should the larger garage based split level BLT with wharf ever get built, one would look quite at home on the quayside.

So do I get one now, just in case?

Or wait for the Ruston 

There's only one answer to that.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

KMRC appear to have run out...

Rails have them reduced...........

• RMweb Gold
On Monday, June 17, 2019 at 22:06, Stubby47 said:

Two strips of LEDs one just behind the fascia and the second about 9" from the front.

Wired in parallel to the Clipper.

I have a similar arrangement on Mutton/Bleat. 

I have put a 'baffle' against the middle row of lights which spreads the light a bit better. Avoids 'pools' of light.

R