A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further musings have taken place for this layout. 

One option to investigate is moving the whole track plan further to the left (as viewed) side, removing the need for the off-scene fiddle-stick to the right. 

I've also joined MERG and ordered some basic modules that can be used with servos, so I can experiment with the mechanisms to operate the blast doors, NG uncoupling and wagon hoist vertical location.

I've also measured up the size of the wagon hoist cage (5" x 2"), so further experiments with this will be started soon.

Kernow have the Lilliput HOe locos on offer - they could be made in to 4mm scale u/g locos quite easily : http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/55030/L142128-Liliput-0-4-0-Diesel-Locomotive-number-5---Works

Just need to find some more hours in the day...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Despite all recent inactivity suggesting otherwise, there is a chance the the baseboard will be put together tomorrow.

It has all been pre-cut to size, it just needs drilling and screwing together.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

The baseboard building today started off by crafting and fitting a new bracket to the end of the guttering, followed by clearing a drain.

Once that was done, I took advantage of the bright sunshine.

The parts for the baseboard were cut to my specifications from one sheet of ply.

post-7025-0-39377500-1515968814_thumb.jpg

This was collected and has stood in the garage waiting to be used.

post-7025-0-19294100-1515968835_thumb.jpg

The pieces for the middle level were selected.

post-7025-0-34855600-1515968848_thumb.jpg

Not having the facilities to glue and clamp the joints, I chose to drill and screw the 2x1 instead.

This had a few problems.

post-7025-0-92942600-1515968859_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

However, pre-drilling the softwood has proved to be a better solution.

The upper and lower boards are wider, and will be made the same way.

This then leaves fixing on the end boards to provide the height and rigidity.

• RMweb Gold

Yep, sorry about that, they were taken on the phone.

Knowing how to make the boards for the other two levels will mean they will not take as long.

After that I need to finalise the track layout and then cut the holes for the hoist shaft.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After a considered analysis of requirements, it seems I'll need 11 12 servos for the animation and operation of the layout.

For the ground level :  2 blast doors; an alignment lock for the wagon hoist; the hoist uncoupler  (total 4)

For the middle level : 2 blast doors; an alignment lock for the wagon hoist; the hoist uncoupler; the hoist safety gate (total 5)

For the lower level : 2 blast doors; the hoist uncoupler; (total 3)

The ground level safety gate will be lifted by the hoist as it rises. 

The alignment locks will hold the hoist cage in place whilst the loco / wagons are moving. 

The uncouplers will activate a lever on the cage, operated from the main board once the hoist cage is locked.  Micro switches on the hoist locks will also electrically prevent the hoist being moved.  

Much of this could be achieved by simple wire-in-tube, or even point motors, but as the blast doors will need servos, I want to see what else can be done.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

From the CBC entry:

The second MERG kit was completed and tested yesterday. This will be installed with the servo as the finished controller.

The first module will let me operate the servo at slow speed and will let me stop the servo/door at any point to assess operation.

Then once I'm happy with the mechanics, the 2nd module will be used just to open/close the door.

This second servo kit ( or a variation of it) will probably be the main one used for the various animations and operational bits. It took about an hour to make up, but that will improve with practice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As well as cutting the ground plans for Seaton Junction Station building, today's modelling associated work hopefully will include the cutting of sufficient blocks for the remaining two baseboards, the construction of said boards and the assembly of the main carcase.

We shall see...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So having cut the SOSJ Stn baseboards, one was wrapped in preparation for despatch.

Then I was required to make lunches.

Then I was required to accompany SWMBO to the local NT garden to partake in some walking. This, with the then further requirements to prepare and oversee the Sunday roast, eliminated all chance of returning to some woodwork.

Should the weather be suitable this evening, it maybe possible to work just outside the garage, but I think more precipitation is forecast.

• RMweb Gold

In the warmth of today's sunshine I managed to get both the top and bottom baseboards built.

I've worked out the two lower levels will have a height of 3", and the top will have about 13 1/2". The sides will project 3" out beyond the front edges of the levels, giving me the support for the top frame. This will reduce the top level viewing window to about 12" high, but at eye-level this should be fine.

Next task is to complete the track plan to finalise the position of the hoist. Then I can cut the holes and then fix the whole frame together.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Looking at Dean Hill's ground layout, there was quite an extensive narrow gauge system, accessed via a transfer shed from the main line.

Non-military-specific buildings include accommodation blocks, gatehouse, fire station, headquarters, stores of various kinds, workshops, loco maintenance and boiler house.

The armaments buildings include Light & Heavy Traverse Laboratories (inspection areas for returned ordnance), Paveway (laser guided bombs) Maintenance facilities and nuclear warhead storage.

The linked website has lots of very good images of the buildings, so I now need to decide which ones I can use and fit on the layout.

And, yes, there was one of these...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking at Dean Hill's ground layout, there was quite an extensive narrow gauge system, accessed via a transfer shed from the main line.

Non-military-specific buildings include accommodation blocks, gatehouse, fire station, headquarters, stores of various kinds, workshops, loco maintenance and boiler house.

The armaments buildings include Light & Heavy Traverse Laboratories (inspection areas for returned ordnance), Paveway (laser guided bombs) Maintenance facilities and nuclear warhead storage.

The linked website has lots of very good images of the buildings, so I now need to decide which ones I can use and fit on the layout.

And, yes, there was one of these...

That's very posh for a MOD facility, the ones in Devonport were cold and draughty edifices. I always tried to find an excuse to be somewhere that had an indoor one, if the need arose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Formal planning  (!) has taken place today. I even went as far as cutting out point templates.

Basically I have the overall plan, I just need to finalise the actual formation.

The paper has a 48" x 21" outline, the red rectangle represents the wagon hoist.

These options use no multi gauge track, as the std gauge wagon is carried on a NG low loader (as per one of the original ideas).

Option 1 uses only a FY on the left (as viewed). The rightmost point would be a 3-way, as in Opt 2, giving access to an exchange siding.

post-7025-0-02060600-1518007683_thumb.jpg

Option 2 uses a short Fiddle Stick on the right as well which gives a longer loop and the possibility of using the train loco to do the shunting, rather than a location pilot. 

post-7025-0-52155100-1518007761_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-30875200-1518008539.png

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Obviously, the layout will need buildings.

post-7025-0-63698700-1518009983.png

The hoist will need a winding house and a boiler house. Then there might be offices/ workshops for the NG railway, other stores and a standard gauge goods shed.

One siding might lead into a Traverse shed (top left), or underground storage facility.

Lots of options.

The Dean Hill site was very spread out, obviously to keep any possible explosions to the minimum collateral damage - I won't be able to manage this (as much) but could replicate an area of more intense, lower risk, buildings.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Today, I shall mostly be researching how mine shaft windings work.

Aha.

I have been wondering how the two sheeve wheels turned opposite directions, and how the counterweight cabling was configured.

This diagram explains all, very simply.

post-7025-0-61651100-1518095407.gif

Which means I can add the cage & counter weight without getting them tangled together.  The cage needs to be approx. 5" x 2", height still to be determined but enough to accept a low-loader with std gauge van.  The tracks will also need to be powered, to allow the u/g loco to be moved between the two u/g levels. 

• Like 1