A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Stubby47's Project #1 - DM Four Mill Something

• RMweb Gold

Some good progress today.

I found two extra slide switches in the electrics box, plus some Mercontrol wire and tube. The tubes I've recently bought were either to large internally ( the wire could bend inside losing the pushing motion) or two narrow and soft ( the wire wouldn't go in.

So the remainder of the Mercontrol tube was used for the first two points. The wires were fitted to the remaining points, with provision for the tubes to be added afterwards.

Some of the track was sprayed grey, but it was probably too cold for a decent coat, so this will be done again.

post-7025-0-88199000-1521913737_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-15772100-1521913756_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The tubes will be passed through the holes and into a choc block; which will be used to grip the ends of the tube and allow for adjustment.

The wires will then be passed through the sides of the slide switches, which, with the choc block, will be mounted on a small frame on the side of the layout.

• RMweb Gold

Having browsed the internet for some suitable plastic angle cranks, and not found any, thoughts are turning to home-made items from coffee stirrers. These will be connected via nylon fishing line to coffee-stirrer levers, and will be used to raise the treadles for uncoupling.

The return springs may well be small pieces of foam sponge.

Some sketches later...

• RMweb Gold

Why not just cut some triangles of plasticard, laminate 2 or 3 together and drill a few holes for the cable and pivot?

Yes, that would be simpler... and I could use similar for the frames too.

Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

What about servo arms from R/C cars?

R

That's what I was looking for (or planes/ helicopters), but couldn't find any. Lots of straight ones, but no cranked ones (unless they were several pounds each and aluminium).

• RMweb Premium

Luckily, I'm not a drinker of coffee, though I did buy a 1,000 pack of stirrers from a local wholesaler.

Should be enough for this lifetime.

There's enough stirrers round here to last a lifetime...

• RMweb Gold

The siding at the back right is just long enough for a small goods shed.

Taking inspiration from Tackeroo, I've made this out of plasticard to represent planked wood. The roof will be more corrugated iron, and will stretch over the loading platform.  Legs will be brick pillars.

post-7025-0-85623700-1522154201_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-79445900-1522154202_thumb.jpg

Note the angled flooring (see, I do take notes).

Edit, sorry about the poor quality pictures.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

More progress on the goods shed today.

A window and door have been added (the door frame needs adding), and the platform has been edged.

post-7025-0-15406100-1522240996_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-30141200-1522240997_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-15757000-1522240998_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Quite a frustrating evening.

The problem.

There is too much lateral movement in the joint between the two wires extending to the far point, plus the thin wire is moving around in the large tie-bar hole.

But as ever, I have a solution... servos.

Yes, I know I've come round this way before, but rejected them as the frog polarity switching was going to need micro switches.

However, in a moment of sanity, I realised the DPDT slide switch could still be used, to both operate the servo and switch the frog.

So another order will be on it's way to Merg.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

"So another order will be on it's way to Merg".

They're shut !!  Until April 7th, so I should have enough time to order, make & install a second servo control board (I have one made up already, so I can at least get the servos installed & aligned).

Still not panicking, no, really I'm not - it's only toy trains....

Meanwhile, I've made a main roof and platform roof for the goods shed, it's almost ready for the primer paint (then glaze, stick the roofs on and top-coat.)

Thinking about the under support, I'll use some bass wood strips to make up the wooden framework, which will then sit on the brick pillars.

• RMweb Gold

Starting to make the control panel.

5 slide switches fixed into a ply frame, the centre contacts of one pole wired for the 5 frogs, and the outer contacts linked with copper earth wire.

post-7025-0-03810300-1522691218_thumb.jpg

Elsewhere, the annoyingly loose wire in the tiebar has been tamed with a short length of plastic rod, plus the wire connectors have been re-joined and are now performing satisfactorily.

Edited by Stubby47
  • Like 2