Bachmann 94xx

OnTheBranchline

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2021 at 11:50, Markn said:

Thanks. I tried the btb but they were alright. They lift off the track randomly, so I guess it's either not enough weight or not enough pressure. I'll have a sit down and experiment with it. Maybe a shim/washer on the retaining screws or something might help. I havnt weathered any locos yet, just stock and buildings. I'm building myself up to that level :lol:

Have you tried undoing the pony truck fixing screws half a turn?

• Informative/Useful 1

Right I think I've sorted mine. It ended up running around for six hours today (around 3 each way) whilst I did some painting next door. It was running better, but still had a tight spot when running slow. Took it apart and turns out the centre wheel spacing was not quite even, and when the left was at tdc it was pushing the pins out resulting in the couplings catching a little. Seems a lot better now I've sorted it.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Markn said:

Right I think I've sorted mine. It ended up running around for six hours today (around 3 each way) whilst I did some painting next door. It was running better, but still had a tight spot when running slow. Took it apart and turns out the centre wheel spacing was not quite even, and when the left was at tdc it was pushing the pins out resulting in the couplings catching a little. Seems a lot better now I've sorted it.

I hope after around several years of waiting for this model that Bachmanns quality control is not going to fail us!

• Agree 1

Right here we go.  Turned into a bit of a mission to get this done, but here's the video.  First up is the 94xx with a bit of slow running (15/128 speed setting).  I think that this is much smoother than it was and am happy.  Then I tested the 94xx, 56xx and 87xx on a couple of rakes.  The 56xx is the baseline as these are so strong.  This was all on the flat, but I could easily add in a 4% gradient if I wanted to (but didn't see the point given the below).

Firstly I tried 7 coaches; 4 Clerestory and 3 Collett 60'.  These have all had lighting fitted with all wheel pickup and have a bit of drag because of this, eg my City of Truro can only pull 4.  The 56xx pulled them no problems, the 94xx seemed strained but coped and the 87xx couldn't manage it, so I removed 1 and it coped with 6.

Secondly I tried 22 kit built 16t'ers which weigh 70g each and 2 brake vans at around 80g each.  I like my wagons heavy for shunting and normally only haul a few.  Anyway, the 56xx could probably have pulled another 22, the 94xx was a little strained and the 87xx was on the verge of struggling.

All in all, this shows that after around 10 hours total running and a bit of fettling, the 94xx is now performing well.  I probably got a 'bad' one to have to do that, but I'm happy now.  Its also a strong puller, more so than the 87xx which I thought ample.

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for this effort, Markn; it is appreciated.   Clearly the loco is well capable of pulling any train I can throw at it on my small BLT, and the milk train hesitancy has vanished; I am completely satisfied that my 94xx will be a delight and am looking forward to it’s arrival. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Markn said:

Firstly I tried 7 coaches; 4 Clerestory and 3 Collett 60'.  These have all had lighting fitted with all wheel pickup and have a bit of drag because of this, eg my City of Truro can only pull 4.  The 56xx pulled them no problems, the 94xx seemed strained but coped and the 87xx couldn't manage it, so I removed 1 and it coped with 6.

My Baccy 57XX had for years, really good runner, usually only has 3 Baccy Mk1's in tow, but yesterday just for experiment, loaded up to to 7 with 4 Hornby new Bullied's.  Was fine and that was on some 2nd radius which I now have to have on new layout (DC only), slight slow down on these bends with 7 but none on 3 cars.  My King Henry III gets really slow with 4 as does does my W/C Plymouth, S15 no slowdown (flywheel perhaps?).

Anyway will load up some more later as a test when I go t' loft.  I guess the heavier weight of the 94 will be beneficial.

No luck in being able to order 9479 in DC, all main biggies say unavailable, and Hattons says no longer stocked!

Lovely detailed layout Markn and great videos, thanks for your time and effort in testing the capabilities.

EDIT: Will getting a GM HH feedback cont. and take the gamble with the coreless, my two Kernow O2's have no probs. with the GM permanent track clnr.

Edited by Guest

26 minutes ago, confused said:

My Baccy 57XX had for years, really good runner, usually only has 3 Baccy Mk1's in tow, but yesterday just for experiment, loaded up to to 7 with 4 Hornby new Bullied's.  Was fine and that was on some 2nd radius which I now have to have on new layout (DC only), slight slow down on these bends with 7 but none on 3 cars.  My King Henry III gets really slow with 4 as does does my W/C Plymouth, S15 no slowdown (flywheel perhaps?).

Anyway will load up some more later as a test when I go t' loft.  I guess the heavier weight of the 94 will be beneficial.

No luck in being able to order 9479 in DC, all main biggies say unavailable, and Hattons says no longer stocked!

Lovely detailed layout Markn and great videos, thanks for your time and effort in testing the capabilities.

EDIT: Will getting a GM HH feedback cont. and take the gamble with the coreless, my two Kernow O2's have no probs. with the GM permanent track clnr.

Have you tried TMC for your model? They have stock about to arrive. Always excellent. Service.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, confused said:

7 showing in stock at the time of posting at the Hereford emporium :)http://herefordmodels.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=340_350_355_356&products_id=14500

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, confused said:

Don’t run it on an HH!

The Bachmann instructions say not to, the Gaugemaster HH instructions say not to as well. Any damage you do to the motor/model would be your liability and would invalidate any warranty. 

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Pinehill said:

Have you tried TMC for your model? They have stock about to arrive. Always excellent. Service.

Just like everywhere that sells them....

They are showing as Out Of Stock as they haven't received them yet!

Kernow has only added theirs this morning. "Stock level more than 10"

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51199/35-025-Bachmann-Class-94XX-Pannier-Tank-number-9402-in-GWR-Green

As opposed to this which is due in and showing what the 94XXs were showing earlier.

"Temporarily out of stock - usually despatched within 28 days

Stock Level: 0"

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/66899/R3863-Hornby-Class-T9-4-4-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-120-LSWR

Why is everyone panicking over these? They aren't limited editions. They'll be available for years just like the LNWR Coal Tanks, J72s, etc.

Jason

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, PMP said:

Don’t run it on an HH!

The Bachmann instructions say not to, the Gaugemaster HH instructions say not to as well. Any damage you do to the motor/model would be your liability and would invalidate any warranty. 

Think your right, did a bit more research.  Will get a feedback anyway (to replace my GM intertia one that my granddaughter dropped) just for the bigger engines that slow, main cont. is a GM 100M.  Think I will have make the track clnr. switchable.  Thanks to others on dealers who now have stock, will go with TMC as postage included.

Edited by Guest
put correct model No. for controller

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, PMP said:

Don’t run it on an HH!

But surely a bog standard non-feedback Gaugemaster hand-held would be OK, Paul - there's nothing fancy about those, is there?

And if one was to inadvertantly run a coreless motor with a feedback controller, would there be permanent damage to the coreless motor?

Thanks.

Edited by Captain Kernow

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

But surely a bog standard non-feedback Gaugemaster hand-held would be OK, Paul - there's nothing fancy about those, is there?

And if one was to inadvertantly run a coreless motor with a feedback controller, would there be permanent damage to the coreless motor?

Thanks.

Hi Tim, these work beautifully on a standard DC Gaugemaster W, my usual weapon of choice. 
Having tested it on a HH (feedback) for a matter of seconds I’m pretty sure damage would occur very quickly, judging by the noises and motion of the model. My test would possibly meet your ‘inadvertent’ criteria, I really wouldn’t run it for any length of time with one. It also ran with similar characteristics on the Hornby R965 train set basic controller, and was very poor in terms of finesse using a old Duette. 

A good reason to invest in a decent controller.  I’m often surprised at the number of people who will spend well over £100 on a new locomotive, but don’t invest in a reasonable control system, judging by reading on various social meejah and conversations I’ve had with my layouts at shows.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Following on I loaded the 57xx with 11 coaches, then the King with 8 (thought it was 11 but 3 uncoupled) ) and videoed it earlier.  So a 94xx will be ordered when she who must be obeyed is not watching and will just use the GM 100M for it.

Edited by Guest

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Just like everywhere that sells them....

They are showing as Out Of Stock as they haven't received them yet!

Kernow has only added theirs this morning. "Stock level more than 10"

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/51199/35-025-Bachmann-Class-94XX-Pannier-Tank-number-9402-in-GWR-Green

As opposed to this which is due in and showing what the 94XXs were showing earlier.

"Temporarily out of stock - usually despatched within 28 days

Stock Level: 0"

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/66899/R3863-Hornby-Class-T9-4-4-0-Steam-Locomotive-number-120-LSWR

Why is everyone panicking over these? They aren't limited editions. They'll be available for years just like the LNWR Coal Tanks, J72s, etc.

Jason

I’m not totally convinced, personally i’m thinking production is being “right sized” to demand.

so whilst not a limited edition, its not as big production as it used to be.

Ebay, shop special offers are littered with little black 0-6-0’s, next month this pannier will be just another one, once initial demand is sated... I think were just seeing a response to that, by making less and maybe rising the price a little. Sound fitted ones tend to linger longer, arrive later, and thus reigning in price hikes.

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1

Kernow had 0 Cornwall stock level on Sunday evening so I was initially concerned I'd missed the boat there, as I had with my local emporium. However, Kernow tweeted that stock arrived in Guildford but was expected in Cornwall on Monday (accompanied by fantastic shots of all 3 locos on a Chris Nevard layout), so I thought I would take a punt and order one.

Success! It arrived at 9.30 this morning via their standard delivery. Very impressed so far with the loco and as usual, with the service and communication from Kernow.

ukyzu4.jpg.29b90f181d94d741e8b468ea81bd4918.jpg-pjypzp.jpg.5f835fe6301a062d15089cbfdbf7e937.jpg

Edited by Torn-on-the-platform
  • Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Just look at all that detail beneath the boiler; Blue Box have surpassed themselves with this loco, which might be their best pannier yet, and the others are by no means bad!  I might even concede it to have been worth the (not inconsiderable) prolonged wait...

Cracking sharp photos, btw, Torn!

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Kernow and Post Office .......... and Bachmann  -  what a stunner arrived this morning at the second attempt ! ( I was out shopping for essentials - as one does - when the postman arrived .... but he was still in the vicinity.)

Runs like a dream straight out of the box and it's heavy enough to pull a decent coal train once it's run in  ................................. I might 'do' something about the red light district in the cab, though ( DC version ) - I've never seen a loco fire that colour.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mine arrived this morning well worth the wait,  pleased with all aspects  cannot make my mind up about fitting the cab doors though. Runs great straight out of the box well done Bachmann

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Torn-on-the-platform said:

Success! It arrived at 9.30 this morning via their standard delivery. Very impressed so far with the loco and as usual, with the service and communication from Kernow.

I hope you don't mind me tweaking your photo Chris, as mine hasn't arrived yet and I wanted to see the cab detail better, so I gave it some light.;)

ukyzu4.jpg.29b90f181d94d741e8b468ea81bd4918.jpg.965e206c1b85e361be7ea2adbb678016.jpg

• Like 7