Bachmann Class 45

SouthernBlue80s

2 hours ago, Classsix T said:

The fact you posted minutes before Simon B's post kinda hinted at that mate!

But I still like to think if you swore blind the ex-GER, BR E4 4-4-0 was the sexiest thing on four axles (tender excluded, natch) I might get one ready to run!

Like Buddha, if I rub your tummy, riches will come my way? Let's NOT try that!

C6T. 

I hope they don't release an E4 with four axles. It was a 2-4-0...

Jason

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, tinsley-toton said:

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer the question.

I’ve just pre-ordered 45040 from Derails*

45041 is available from Rails of Sheffield*

45022 is available from the Widnes Model Centre*

*Other retailers may be available in these regions, it’s just a case of shopping around!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I hope they don't release an E4 with four axles. It was a 2-4-0...

Jason

Jeez, Jason, that would be a major departure from prototype wouldn't it? I'll leave that complicated research to the experts! 

Shame, C6T.

4 hours ago, royaloak said:

Why do some Counties get 2 Peaks, Kent, Surrey and Berkshire for 3 (there are more), yet smaller places such as Wales, Ireland and Scotland only get one?

Are you referring to the names of the prototypes as bestowed in the early sixties? There does appear to have been a regional bias, but it should be remembered that their sphere of operation was very Midland based in that era.

4 hours ago, cambo74 said:

You can still order from the relevant shops no matter where the location 

See above, that is true but perhaps it was a different question!

3 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

Am I missing something obvious here, who are the retailers that will be selling them ?

T-T

All Bachmann retailers that place an order will have stock appropriate to their region/ zone.

3 hours ago, 47423 said:

Which ever retailer is in the specific area for each loco.

Abso-ruddy-precisexactly!

3 hours ago, tinsley-toton said:

Thanks, but it doesn't really answer the question.

See above.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Prices of 45048 are about to hit the deck.

its had a good run on ebay though, even the reject bodies did well.

Older chassis etc.

I figure theres two body shells coming here, one with covered angular shaped grill (above the battery box on the bodyside), and one exposed.

The grills aside of the nameplates appear covered (along with roof access steps) on all 5 models.

45022/041 exposed “angular” grills (in common with class 46’s).

45040/046/049 covered “angular” grills

The original Bachmann 45048 remains unique in its tooling, in that it is having covered “angular” grills, but the grill by the side of the nameplate exposed.

Now for some eth cables and a headlight.... BUT.. hold the phones...

Is it my eyes or is this prototype of 32-701A 46020, sitting on eth fitted bogies...(and 45 battery boxes), but 46’s werent eth fitted, has a photographic assembly error resulted in a giveaway of an obvious plan for a 45/1 ?

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-class-46-centre-headcode-46020-br-blue-32-701a/

Tinsley snails may rise again afterall..

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mmm good move by Bachmann . Injecting a bit of business in their regional dealerships too and the price while high ( at least for me ) is not excessive , so a possibility. Only query is how long will they take to arrive . Any delivery date?

9 hours ago, Derails Models said:

Class-45.0-Sealed-Beam-EP-1.jpg.00de1891d9cae0d98be06127d93d56ce.jpg

I'm glad Bachmann have finally taken this one up - we had actually been investigating commissioning a limited edition of this loco! 

We'll be stocking 45040 Kings Shropshire Light Infantry in Blue, and I'm expecting it to be a big seller! Best get my order in..........

Heljan may announce a class45 soon

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Prices of 45048 are about to hit the deck.

its had a good run on ebay though, even the reject bodies did well.

Older chassis etc.

I figure theres two body shells coming here, one with covered angular shaped grill (above the battery box on the bodyside), and one exposed.

The grills aside of the nameplates appear covered (along with roof access steps) on all 5 models.

45022/041 exposed “angular” grills (in common with class 46’s).

45040/046/049 covered “angular” grills

The original Bachmann 45048 remains unique in its tooling, in that it is having covered “angular” grills, but the grill by the side of the nameplate exposed.

Now for some eth cables and a headlight.... BUT.. hold the phones...

Is it my eyes or is this prototype of 32-701A 46020, sitting on eth fitted bogies...(and 45 battery boxes), but 46’s werent eth fitted, has a photographic assembly error resulted in a giveaway of an obvious plan for a 45/1 ?

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/branchline-class-46-centre-headcode-46020-br-blue-32-701a/

Tinsley snails may rise again afterall..

Do Bachmann have the tooling with the different grilles ?

Reading between the lines it seems to suggest the original body from the limited edition one on a upgraded chassis with lights.

If it is the 45048 body, it will have the small horizontal grille open as before which is wrong for all the locos including 036/048.

I can live with that for 040/6/9 but not for 022/041.

I suspect Heljan will announce shortly but i will have at least one Bachmann, and possibly 3 if nothing from HJ.  

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, 47423 said:

Reading between the lines it seems to suggest the original body from the limited edition one on a upgraded chassis with lights.

If it is the 45048 body, it will have the small horizontal grille open as before which is wrong for all the locos including 036/048.

I suspect Heljan will announce shortly but i will have at least one Bachmann, and possibly 3 if nothing from HJ.  

Looking at the EP, it looks like the same body as 45048... the “small grill” I think you are referring to is the small rectangular one, between the nameplate and the cab, on the EP it is not filled, which is incorrect for all 5  (on the model of 45048 it is also exposed).

However of the 5 offered, I see two distinctions between the 5 variants, all of which should be different to 45048.

The small grill at the centre / lower body (at an angle shape on one side) above the battery box, is the one of different styles to which I refer... some of these on 45’s were exposed (like the 46’s).

The appearance of a 45/1 bogie suggests research is being done, so maybe “The five peaks challenge”, will be a test to see how many they get right :), but it suggests its going in the right direction, as is the price.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Looking at the EP, it looks like the same body as 45048... the “small grill” I think you are referring to is the small rectangular one, between the nameplate and the cab, on the EP it is not filled, which is incorrect for all 5  (on the model of 45048 it is also exposed).

However of the 5 offered, I see two distinctions between the 5 variants, all of which should be different to 45048.

The small grill at the centre / lower body (at an angle shape on one side) above the battery box, is the one of different styles to which I refer... some of these on 45’s were exposed (like the 46’s).

My guess is “The five peaks challenge”, will be a test to see how many they get right :)

Yes, thats correct about the grille

It will be interesting to see if they get any right. I can live with my 036/048 so i will at least get 046 and possibly 040.

If the get the lower grille correct 041 for definite. 

Roll on 9am .lol

Edited by 47423

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, 47423 said:

My reading of the words is that it’s the original sealed beam tooling on new chassis with lights.

This makes me even more frustrated that it’s taken so long to release something with all the demands if the tooling already exists, unless there was a timeframe on the original terms with TMC that has only just lapsed.

Maybe thats why it’s not a main run?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, 47423 said:

Yes, thats correct about the grille

It will be interesting to see if they get any right. I can live with my 036/048 so i will at least get 046 and possibly 040.

If the get the lower grille correct 041 for definite. 

Roll on 9am .lol

To make my 048 body correct, I either plate over small grill or renumber. So does any peak experts know of a 45/0 that had the small grill, plated over steps and plated angular grill? I’ve found 009 but that’s it. 

Edited by 66738

28 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

And... SNAP!

Heljan have just announced their 45, with more tooling variations.

Duplication strikes again :(

Luke

I suspect the Heljan offering will be more popular given some of the detail issues with the Bachmann tooling, and Bachmann have broken ground with their plans as a last "hurrah" of their moulding before they get overtaken by the Danes with what looks on CAD at least to be a better model.

Funnily enough, one of the Bachmann rep editions is "The Staffordshire Regiment" which is very tempting as when I was researching my family tree last year I discovered a 2x great uncle who was killed serving in the regiment in WW1, whilst his cousin was killed a year later serving with the Sherwood Forresters, which Heljan have announced a model of.  So I'll probably end up buying both Bachmann's 45 049 and Heljan's 45 060 because of the family connections with the two regiments.  As I'll also probably get a 45/1 for Cross Country passenger work, in this case duplication is less of an issue for me and saves me some T-Cut and transfer work!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It will be interesting to see which one available first. I think Heljan saying 3rd quarter 2020. I haven’t seen anything from Bachmann , although I suspect this model may leapfrog the queue to get in first.  Tricky one for retailers figuring out which one to stock . 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Funnily enough, one of the Bachmann rep editions is "The Staffordshire Regiment" which is very tempting as when I was researching my family tree last year I discovered a 2x great uncle who was killed serving in the regiment in WW1, whilst his cousin was killed a year later serving with the Sherwood Forresters, which Heljan have announced a model of.  So I'll probably end up buying both Bachmann's 45 049 and Heljan's 45 060 because of the family connections with the two regiments. 

A lovely idea!

Luke

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Legend said:

It will be interesting to see which one available first. I think Heljan saying 3rd quarter 2020. I haven’t seen anything from Bachmann , although I suspect this model may leapfrog the queue to get in first.  Tricky one for retailers figuring out which one to stock . 

Many folks will buy on price, but they appear to be within a £ or two of each other according to publicity so far.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Legend said:

It depends on who is first but also most accurate... Price isn't really a factor.

Bachmann has done some bodyside work, but not all of it.

If its one tooling for all 5, then closest to accurate is 40/46/49 but that assumes the EP we see is the EP we get, with errors on the nose grills which are not hinged (and have a line through the grill which is oversized), plus the previously mentioned variations on the “nameplate” grill and the angular grills.

That leaves a celebrity 45022 and 45041 as inaccurate in 3 places instead of 2 !

if someone is at DEMU showcase, it would be a nice question to ask Bachmann if they intend to address those 3 areas...

106_0035.jpg.15392c92e2eb09b5c9da38d0b324b4dc.jpg

Also highlighted is the ETH socket position on the bufferbeam for 45/1's.. Bachmann hasn't announced a 45/1 yet the image of 46010 on Bachmanns website shows it sitting on a 45/1 chassis with the ETH sockets visible... 46's were Steam heat only, so they are obviously thinking about it.

45/1's are the holy grail of the class... and it's Heljan that's announced it, but Bachmann has an EP and a correct Bogie.. so maybe Bachmann plans to do the rest and get it accurate too (there are roof mods not mentioned too) ?

My opinion: yesterday was yippee... today I might wait and see.

Edited by adb968008

With a fleet of 30-plus renumbered, weathered, personalised, re-headcoded, bespoked 45s and 46s all in transition liveries accurate to within an 18 month window, twixt 1967-69, I have no intention of undertaking a re-equipment programme following the Danes' pronouncement.  Barwell have provided every nose configuration in each core livery I need (one of D11-15 is on my WB having doors fitted, for completeness, and D25 will be having its very niche GFYE treatment), and they are trusty machines to say the least.

That said, I've clearly no 'need' of a sealed beam machine, but as they were utterly prolific in my train-watching years right up to when I started work, I'm sure to snap up a couple - and 45022 will be a definite, as the last locomotive to work a service train the full length of the Waverley route, of course!

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 66738 said:

To make my 048 body correct, I either plate over small grill or renumber. So does any peak experts know of a 45/0 that had the small grill, plated over steps and plated angular grill? I’ve found 009 but that’s it. 

Ive found a picture of 45/1 45102 which didn't have covers on the grills, at the nameplate or on the angular grill.

Good morning everyone,

I have just placed my pre-order via telephone for 45022 with Sawyer Models as I remember these locomotives from my (much) younger years. They are also going to be doing some weathered versions & other renamed/renumbered versions. 

http://sawyermodels.co.uk/?product_cat=oo-gauge-limited-editions

all the best

Charles 

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Well ...from a sealed beam class 45 desert to a world awash with them in late 2020.

Heljan or Bachmann? I am not sure, as others say - we shall see. At least two locos will be bought by me either way.

Is this the shape of things to come....?

Hornby and Bachmann seen to be launching spoiling releases when they find out a rival manufacture is about to produce a new product and this is becoming standard practice now.....Hattons 66..Oliva Terrier, et al.

This kind of practices isn't going to bode well for the future of the hobby because it will cut the profitably and speed of return for the Major manufactures. Bachmann should have tackled the sealed beamed 45 years ago as it was bound to be a diesel winner, but now, having waited for Heljan to announce one they seem to think it's a good idea to go head to head with them......let see if there is marked difference in standards between the 2  versions in terms of fidelity and quality. Personally I think it going to be cost which will be the determining factor for volume sales as I have noticed a few new releases being quickly discounted when over £150 (not sound) Duchess of Hamilton,George VI for example.

~Now that all major diesels have been produced and the mine of one offs is rapidly diminishing the major manufactures are going to need to think what is their USP, because we can only have so many of the same thing as in my case   7 25s---6 37s-----8 50s----14 55s and i got at least 2 of  all the other class's which I've manly pick up when they get discounted like the recent class 22s. It will be interesting to see whether Heljan or Bachmann get their model in the shops first....my money is on Heljan.

B

• Agree 1