The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

• RMweb Premium

Kris, I was looking at the pic and THEN SAW YOU, OMG brave or what!  SUPERB Mate. :sungum:

Thanks, it's a photogenic section, but not as challenging as it looks. That said it does get much harder (and scarier) when the water covers the rocks on the right of the photo. I've only paddled it once at that level for a very good reason. 

My hobbies and interests have changed over the years.

I spent many years playing rugby, boxing, judo. tug-o-war, climbing and throwing myself out of perfectly serviceable aircraft.

These days, real life and time have changed things.

Like Jeff, I started with model railways only a few years ago however, my other interests are walking, military history and cooking. One hobby that I have always enjoyed is photography.

post-6953-0-49220800-1514139265_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-58879300-1514139291_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-68781500-1514139318_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-38532800-1514139357_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-80154500-1514139391_thumb.jpg

post-6953-0-81800800-1514139403_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Crikey Rob, that looks a mean weapon, looks like there were some good shots as well.

Thanks for sharing.

I spent many years playing rugby, boxing, judo. tug-o-war, climbing and throwing myself out of perfectly serviceable aircraft.

Like Jeff, I started with model railways only a few years ago however, my other interests are walking, military history and cooking. One hobby that I have always enjoyed is photography.

attachicon.gifDSCF7458.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0228.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0992.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4369.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8246.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9275.JPG

I recognise the Devon Coast there Duncan and some amazing shots of the Old Aircraft.

Can I borrow your first pic to try a Painting of it please?

• Like 2

I recognise the Devon Coast there Duncan and some amazing shots of the Old Aircraft.

Can I borrow your first pic to try a Painting of it please?

Of course you can mate. Would you like me to send the full size one?

I'll look forward to seeing it.

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 1

Of course you can mate. Would you like me to send the full size one?

I'll look forward to seeing it.

No your fine, I can work off that and blow up bits I need, it will give me a challenge for the New Year, where is it?

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifDSCF7458.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0228.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0992.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_4369.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_8246.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9275.JPG

Hi Duncan

I have one of them black things. They are excellent dogs to have.

post-16423-0-88903200-1514140237_thumb.jpg

When I was with the gunners one of their officers had a yellow one. He would come over to the workshop and expect all work to stop if his car needed fixing and he never paid the guys. His dog was very friendly and all the vehicle mechanics would give it a stroke.....

...with their greasy hands.  :O  :O 

• Like 7

Potholing

Get down and get dirty.

It must be rather like going down the inspection pit to oil up the Bluebell Railway's E4 0-6-2 tank. Squeezing between the valve gear and front of the fire box, which is getting hotter all the time, trying to oil up something you can hardly see, trying not to get stuck and with oil running up your sleeve , there must be a lot of parallels with pot-holing !

Don't know about your family but mine think I have a screw loose. Great fun though !

Edited by jazzer
  • Like 5

Hi Duncan

I have one of them black things. They are excellent dogs to have.

attachicon.gif116.JPG

When I was with the gunners one of their officers had a yellow one. He would come over to the workshop and expect all work to stop if his car needed fixing and he never paid the guys. His dog was very friendly and all the vehicle mechanics would give it a stroke.....

...with their greasy hands.  :O  :O

I wish I had the time to have a dog. My lifestyle at the moment wouldn't allow me to give the dog enough time or exercise. Maybe one day but it would have to be a Welsh Border Collie.

• Like 1

Crikey Rob, that looks a mean weapon, looks like there were some good shots as well.

Thanks for sharing.

It’s called a LWRC M6 carbine.” Approved personal purchase carbine of the DEA “ apprantly and also used by 22 SAS now it appears. It’s a derivative of the AR15, but then most “ Black “rifles are.

Like Gordon A, I am in to Series Land Rovers. I have owned my 1977 Series 3 since 2003 and wouldn't be separated:

2003 when I was marshalling at an MG trial. It looks tidy but chassis was rotten and replaced with a new Galv one in 2005:

post-7400-0-89197700-1514149441_thumb.jpeg

Fast forward to 2015 and another rebuild required:

post-7400-0-86562700-1514149487_thumb.jpg

Just a quick tidy up has become a last nut and bolt rebuild:

post-7400-0-77763000-1514149540_thumb.jpg

Coming back together:
post-7400-0-28930000-1514149559_thumb.jpg

Engine nearly finished (today)

post-7400-0-66057200-1514149596_thumb.jpg

Plan is to have it finished next year....

• Like 9

Like Gordon A, I am in to Series Land Rovers. I have owned my 1977 Series 3 since 2003 and wouldn't be separated:

2003 when I was marshalling at an MG trial. It looks tidy but chassis was rotten and replaced with a new Galv one in 2005:

attachicon.gif70794.jpeg

Fast forward to 2015 and another rebuild required:

attachicon.gifa 1.JPG

Just a quick tidy up has become a last nut and bolt rebuild:

attachicon.gifa11.JPG

Coming back together:

attachicon.gifa17.JPG

Engine nearly finished (today)

attachicon.gifengine 33.JPG

Plan is to have it finished next year....

That really is a labour of love, I respect people who like to re build classics like that and display them as others have already shown on here, it must be most rewarding.

Thanks for sharing the pics.

Well there's these to clean:

attachicon.gifP1020203 (Small).JPG

And I do this:

attachicon.gifP1060798-3.jpg

And we like going away in this:

attachicon.gifP1070434-2.jpg

Hi Neil, Nice looking Honda's, but how come they have the same Reg No's? JUST LOOKED AGAIN, there not are they, :no:  :no:  :no: hhahaha

As I said in an earlier post, I'm just reading Guy Martin's Autobiography, and it's really interesting reading about the Island and the Manx and TT. Even though I've always liked Bikes, I've never studied Road Racing.

Love the look of Annie, I bet she's fun to Drive.

A couple of great Hobbies, and a fun Camper Van to come to the UK in.

Cheers.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.  The reg numbers get a lot of comment at TT week!  U isn't issued in the old UK system either so it gets double takes.  Until recently any number from a previously issued batch could be bought for £60 (if not taken of course) so we have several interesting ones appropriate to the bike in question!

Annie is my favourite at Groudle, she's a full size new build replica Bagnall. I'm too tall for Sea Lion's cab.....

post-10195-0-63128400-1514153799.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It’s called a LWRC M6 carbine.” Approved personal purchase carbine of the DEA “ apprantly and also used by 22 SAS now it appears. It’s a derivative of the AR15, but then most “ Black “rifles are.

We had the AR 15 in Belize, if we had the choice when on patrol near Guatemala we took our SLRs. OK they were heavier but with the AR15 it's round loses a lot of energy when it hits something, so if the ambusher was behind a tree the tree took the blow. The 7.62mm round went through the tree and would go through the ambusher taking half the tree with it.  Thankfully we never had to use them in anger. 

A little know fact, the British army was the first to adopt the Armalite AR15 during the Borneo crisis. Not M16s they were later issued to the ground forces of the USAF . The US army was slow in having them.

We had the AR 15 in Belize, if we had the choice when on patrol near Guatemala we took our SLRs. OK they were heavier but with the AR15 it's round loses a lot of energy when it hits something, so if the ambusher was behind a tree the tree took the blow. The 7.62mm round went through the tree and would go through the ambusher taking half the tree with it.  Thankfully we never had to use them in anger. 

A little know fact, the British army was the first to adopt the Armalite AR15 during the Borneo crisis. Not M16s they were later issued to the ground forces of the USAF . The US army was slow in having them.

I hear you, I don’t have army experience but remember reading in Blackhawk down that the enemy ( high on khat ) could be shot several times with 5.56mm and keep going so they would have preferred something a bit meatier.

Nice bit of Christmas spirit from me there.....

• Like 2