The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I must confess to a sporadic interest in homebuilt aircraft. Whilst I'm realistic enough to know I'll never build one I enjoy collecting plan sets. I concentrate mainly (but not exclusively) on wood construction and VW or small 2-stroke power, as being vaguely achievable. E.g. Jodel D9, Rand KR 1, Volkslplane (possibly the crudest, uglieest flying machine ever), Minimax family etc.

On a smaller scale, I'm tentatively getting interested in control-line model aircraft, Dad and I having dabbled 40 years ago. As a result I seem to be accumulating far more Cox 049 and Fox 15 glow engines than is good for one individual. TBH I think the main appeal is the smell of methanol, nitromethane and castor oil :D.

Edited by PatB
  • Like 4

I, too, have an interest in motorcycles, (well, I live on the Isle of Man for a reason !) owning both a rare 1996 official import Kawasaki ZZR250 and a 2000 reg'd Honda VTR1000 SP1 - one of the first 800 built.

I also have a collection of guitars, both electrics and acoustics, although, I am not very good at playing them ! I can't read music but do read TAB, although, I tend to learn new tunes by ear or simply watching others.

I have also been involved in Radio Controlled models of all disciplins over the years, having raced off road buggies at club level and, on occasion, 1/10 scale touring cars at national level events. This RC experience has come in useful over the years with my excursions into 16mm scale garden railways, too.

I also have a big interest in Slot Car racing (Scalextric and other brands) and I am Treasurer of the only slot car club on the island.

Oh, Playstation ! Takes up many an hour of my time with on-line motor racing championship events !

Not sure where I find the time to go to work !

I have noticed, there seems to be quite a lot of railway modellers involved with guitars and motorcycles - is it possible that the link maybe due to all three pastimes can equally be enjoyed as individual or group activities ?

• Like 4

WOW Guys, some fantastic stuff coming out of the Closet If you'll pardon the expression, hahah.

Some great pics as well, and has been said, a lot of links to Guitars and Motorcycles, I wonder why?

Edited by Andrew P

Over the years I reckon I've spent quite a bit more on my guitar collection (and the various accessories for it) than I have on toy trains.

I wish I could play them properly though - I like most types of noisy rock music, but my favourite seems to be towards the prog end of the scale - songs start to get interesting around the 8 minute mark ;) What I can actually play is rather too thrashy and imprecise for it to be worth me trying to start a Dream Theater covers band!

I got up to 11 Guitars, 3 Keyboards and 3 Amps at one stage, Far to many, and I couldn't even play the Keyboard, hahah :no:

• Like 1

Agreed - pushing the dyson gives me a headache! Don't do ironing either - but do shop and cook...enjoy the cooking , done the Christmas ham today, Florentines tomorrow.

Phil

I'm NOT a Kitchen person, although I do do the washing up, I find that very therapeutic.

Self-explanatory:

attachicon.gifSAVE_20161121_082546.jpeg

attachicon.gifDSC_0020.jpg

A decade separates the two photos of Bill.

Nice one Bill, My Wife had a Horse when we first met, but had to sell it to pay for her 4 Children to go on the Summer School break to France. We still love em though.

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 2

I've done model railways since I was about 6 - starting with Triang TT.

I used to do 1/12 and 1/8 scale radio control stock cars - club champion at Urmston 1986-1990 and 1993/94 (I took two years out to do 1/8 scale)  Best claim to fame is 1/12 stock car BRCA national champion in 1988 (Don't mention this to fellow RMwebber sf315..........)

My brother used to race Brisca F1 and helped him a lot, often doing R/C on the Saturday morning, visiting a model railway ex in the afternoon and then going on to mechanic for him in the evening. That was a full day out.

Before that, we would go to every meeting possible - great being able to drive 90 miles to Aycliffe and back as a learner driver and not go near a motorway if we diverted through Darlington for the last few miles.

There was a dalliance with trail biking - I had a lightened Honda XL185 for green laning in the Yorkshire Dales and Lake District, but it always needed trailering somewhere to find the best routes  - great fun but didn't have enough time with all the other stuff.

Nowadays, it's golf and cycling, both on and off road, although both curtailed at the moment due to injury/illness.

John O Groats during a Round Britain ride by a friend of mine (I just did the top bit of Scotland with him - 350 miles in 6 days.) He did 4400miles in 10 weeks in total.

It was blimmin cold - even in June.

attachicon.gifjog.jpg

Doing a triathlon, as part of a relay team - Jeffrey Hill between the Hodder Valley and Ribble Valley. The bit just at the back of shot is about 1 in 4. I didn't get off and push.

attachicon.gifbike1.jpg

And my other bike at Coed Y Brenin mountain bike centre.

attachicon.gifcyb.jpg

As for spectator sports - none of this kicking an air filled bladder around by a bunch of overpaid prima donnas.

Ice hockey. Regularly watchong the Blackburn Hawks (2-0 win earlier tonight). Even going to watch a couple of NHL games when we go to the US on holiday.

Although my nephew now drives a Brisca F1 car, I only watch him occasionally as it not the same anymore as in the 70s-80s - all the cars look the same and they aren't quite as loud.

Cheers,

Mick

Pedal power looks like to much hard work, I've just finished reading Guy Martins book, When you dead you dead, and he still cycles 15 miles each way to work and back to keep fit, and sometimes detours on the way home to make the run longer. I'm now reading his Autobiography.

Last time I rode a Push bike was in Spain on Holiday many years ago now, and tried to show my Wife how I do wheelies, I ended up falling off and cutting my toes open quite badly. I limped back the 2 miles or so to the resort, bleeding like mad.

Edited by Andrew P

I must confess to a sporadic interest in homebuilt aircraft. Whilst I'm realistic enough to know I'll never build one I enjoy collecting plan sets. I concentrate mainly (but not exclusively) on wood construction and VW or small 2-stroke power, as being vaguely achievable. E.g. Jodel D9, Rand KR 1, Volkslplane (possibly the crudest, uglieest flying machine ever), Minimax family etc.

On a smaller scale, I'm tentatively getting interested in control-line model aircraft, Dad and I having dabbled 40 years ago. As a result I seem to be accumulating far more Cox 049 and Fox 15 glow engines than is good for one individual. TBH I think the main appeal is the smell of methanol, nitromethane and castor oil :D

I also confess to a love of Aircraft, I was Plane spotting at Heathreow as a kid, but last Month we went to Wales on Holiday and I spent 3 days at the Mach Loop, https://machloop.co.uk/category/viewing-locations/ hoping to see some action,, but saw none there, although there was plenty over Bala Lake where we were staying.

• Like 3

Well, this is the other hobby, makes model purchases much more justifiable, at least thats what I told my now ex Mrs TT3...

1977 MGB

post-6952-0-85886600-1514106764_thumb.jpg

1978 Triumph 2500S

post-6952-0-54360800-1514106793_thumb.jpg

1981 Peugeot 504 GLD and 1978 Mercedes 300D

post-6952-0-30221900-1514106860_thumb.jpg

These make a much quieter company in the house

post-6952-0-04617400-1514107057_thumb.jpg

This, perhaps less so

post-6952-0-64632000-1514107443_thumb.jpg

Edited by TT3
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I suppose my other hobby is photography,  as those who follow my threads (in my signature below) know.  Between 1969 and 2003 I took over 26,000 railway colour slides and over 11,000 other slides.  Since going digital all I know is I've taken a lot more photos.  I usually take at least one photo everyday, often down at the beach, as this morning.  Most of them are just record shots and give me a lot of pleasure.  I also look after, and use, my late father's photos.

post-5613-0-63154300-1514112946_thumb.jpg

Christmas Eve sunrise 2

post-5613-0-97236500-1514112952_thumb.jpg

Christmas Eve sunrise 3

post-5613-0-59944200-1514113038_thumb.jpg

Lighthouse sea and sky

post-5613-0-45283400-1514113112_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit village BSC_3148

post-5613-0-44828600-1514113118_thumb.jpg

Beamish Pit village Head Wrightson vertical boiler of 1871 BSC_3164

Some of my railway  photos have been published in railway books and magazines.  From time to my non railway photos are used in other magazines and books.

A long time ago, starting when I was 8 years old I used to do a lot of sailing, stopping in my late 20s when I realised I could either buy a nice boat or a house, house won.

Above all though I am a biologist so everywhere I go I like to look at the plants and animals and try to identify them.  I can spend hours looking at plants and animals - very useful when out taking railway photos when no trains are due for a while.

David

• Like 16

I, too, have an interest in motorcycles, (well, I live on the Isle of Man for a reason !) owning both a rare 1996 official import Kawasaki ZZR250 and a 2000 reg'd Honda VTR1000 SP1 - one of the first 800 built.

I also have a collection of guitars, both electrics and acoustics, although, I am not very good at playing them ! I can't read music but do read TAB, although, I tend to learn new tunes by ear or simply watching others.

I have also been involved in Radio Controlled models of all disciplins over the years, having raced off road buggies at club level and, on occasion, 1/10 scale touring cars at national level events. This RC experience has come in useful over the years with my excursions into 16mm scale garden railways, too.

I also have a big interest in Slot Car racing (Scalextric and other brands) and I am Treasurer of the only slot car club on the island.

Oh, Playstation ! Takes up many an hour of my time with on-line motor racing championship events !

Not sure where I find the time to go to work !

I have noticed, there seems to be quite a lot of railway modellers involved with guitars and motorcycles - is it possible that the link maybe due to all three pastimes can equally be enjoyed as individual or group activities ?

Hi Andi, Funnily enough I always fancied something 4 X 4 and Radio Controlled, still that's maybe another Hobby for another day. There is a new Club just opened down the road with a dirt Track, ???? maybe after Christmas. :nono:  :nono:  :nono:

A great thread which goes to show what a mixed bunch we are.

Away from the railway related stuff my penchant for classic cars exotic and not so exotic seems to be growing more as I get older, and the same  goes for my interest in '60s and '70s films, TV and music, which in many ways are all intertwined with each other. I really enjoy delving into the history of how all my favourite albums, films and TV programmes are made.

The 1968 Mk2 Cooper S I bought over six years ago still hits the right spot but it hasn't stopped me looking at what else is out there, there are still certain cars I'd love to own one day.

post-7638-0-19567700-1514114118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 10

Well, this is the other hobby, makes model purchases much more justifiable, at least thats what I told my now ex Mrs TT3...

1977 MGB

attachicon.gifIMG20171027102041.jpg

1978 Triumph 2500S

attachicon.gifIMG20171020154811.jpg

1981 Peugeot 504 GLD and 1978 Mercedes 300D

attachicon.gifIMG20171014150448.jpg

These make a much quieter company in the house

attachicon.gifIMG20171224201617.jpg

This, perhaps less so

attachicon.gifIMG20171224202158.jpg

Very nice collection, especially the MGB in British Racing Green or Goodwood Green, I can't remember which.

• Like 1

Here is my outdoor hobby.

attachicon.gifIMG_6093 (004).JPG

attachicon.gifOR.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_6240 (003).jpg

Another good group of people.

My Land Rover is a 1959 Series 2 short wheel base with some mods.

Gordon A

Now that does look like a lot of F U N Gordon, I used to see them on the Army Land at Bordon and Liphook in Hampshire.

I suppose my other hobby is photography,  as those who follow my threads (in my signature below) know.  Between 1969 and 2003 I took over 26,000 railway colour slides and over 11,000 other slides.  Since going digital all I know is I've taken a lot more photos.  I usually take at least one photo everyday, often down at the beach, as this morning.  Most of them are just record shots and give me a lot of pleasure.  I also look after, and use, my late father's photos.

attachicon.gifChristmas Eve sunrise 2.jpg

Christmas Eve sunrise 2

attachicon.gifChristmas Eve sunrise 3.jpg

Christmas Eve sunrise 3

attachicon.gifLighthouse sea and sky.jpg

Lighthouse sea and sky

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit village BSC_3148.jpg

Beamish Pit village BSC_3148

attachicon.gifBeamish Pit village Head Wrightson vertical boiler of 1871 BSC_3164.jpg

Beamish Pit village Head Wrightson vertical boiler of 1871 BSC_3164

Some of my railway  photos have been published in railway books and magazines.  From time to my non railway photos are used in other magazines and books.

A long time ago, starting when I was 8 years old I used to do a lot of sailing, stopping in my late 20s when I realised I could either buy a nice boat or a house, house won.

Above all though I am a biologist so everywhere I go I like to look at the plants and animals and try to identify them.  I can spend hours looking at plants and animals - very useful when out taking railway photos when no trains are due for a while.

David

Some wonderful pics David, I've looked at both you Photo Thread sites, and the pics from both you and your Farther are superb.

That's a couple of great shots from this morning.

Thanks for sharing on here.

Away from the railway related stuff my penchant for classic cars exotic and not so exotic seems to be growing as I get older, and the same  goes for my interest in '60s and '70s films, TV and music, which in many ways are all intertwined with each other.

The 1968 Mk2 Cooper S I bought over six years ago still hits the right spot but it hasn't stopped me looking at what else is out there, there are still certain cars I'd love to own one day.

How come your original post #43 is all as one sentence, or is it just my computer? = EDIT = YOUR POST HAS COME OUT RIGHT NOW, and a great pic of the Mini.

did like the MIni Coopers S, I had a 1275 GT once.

Edited by Andrew P

Away from the railway related stuff my penchant for classic cars exotic and not so exotic seems to be growing more as I get older, and the same  goes for my interest in '60s and '70s films, TV and music, which in many ways are all intertwined with each other. I really enjoy delving into the history of how all my favourite albums, films and TV programmes are made.

attachicon.gifDSCF1517.JPG

Oh the classic cars and TV issue, I found watching DVDs of say, The Sweeney or Minder as close to time travel as i could get as that is how I remember England  (err back in the 70s or 80s).

As I have the Triumphs and my friend has a S Type Jag, I just need to find a nice Rover P6 and find an industrial estate to play on.

• Like 4

How come your original post #43 is all as one sentence, or is it just my computer?

I did like the MIni Coopers S, I had a 1275 GT once.

I'm having serious trouble typing out about 90% of my posts this week Andrew, not sure why but it only happens on RMWeb, the only way I can post at the moment is to edit each one after it appears on here, so apologies if at first it all looks like gobbledigook!

There are a couple of very early Clubmans for sale on another forum I'm on, I'd be sorely tempted if I had anywhere to put one, they're both 1970 registered and mostly original too.

I'm having serious trouble typing out about 90% of my posts this week Andrew, not sure why but it only happens on RMWeb, the only way I can post at the moment is to edit each one after it appears on here, so apologies if at first it all looks like gobbledigook!

There are a couple of very early Clubmans for sale on another forum I'm on, I'd be sorely tempted if I had anywhere to put one, they're both 1970 registered and mostly original too.

Mine was a 1970 in Mustard with 71,000 miles on it at 3 years old, I doubt it's still going now, hahah

• Like 2