New Roco Z21 app

Message added by AY Mod

Please reduce the confrontational aspects to this topic. Just kiss and make up a bit - 08 May

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, EsK said:

I am trying the Z21 app for the first time. Is there a way to use the layout editor on the PC to create the track plan? 

Thanks

I don’t know exactly but this is in the faq section https://www.z21.eu/en/faqs-support/questions-answers

1.10. Can I also connect the Z21 to a normal PC or notebook?

Yes, this is possible on a Windows system. The connection is established via the LAN port (network socket) on the computer.

So I assume if you have a pc that runs apps you can? You can email their tech support but the replies are a bit slow. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

V1.3.1 now available for iPad, just download it but haven’t had a chance to check it out. Appears to contain an optional new designer for the control station which looks more like a mimic panel., 

I have been experimenting with drawing new plans in the updated app.

Much easier and clearer,  and looking much more like a real signal box panel.   Signals can be included in routes (could you do that before??),  but response modules cannot be tied to signals (so that a signal can be placed to red to protect an occupied section ahead).       If this could be done I would be looking to use this app to control my signals,  instead of buying Itrains software.  I’m planning to run trains manually.

The attached screenshot 20 minutes work redrawing part of my layout.   

Jeff

F0C8DF1E-FE0E-42B6-9372-3EA8CB9F7D32.png

It seems I can't get this update as it requires a more modern op system than my old iPad Mini - which is only supported up to IOS 9.3.5 and won't upgrade to any newer version - a reason I dislike Apple gear.  A pity as I like the size of the old iPad Mini.

Well, I might have to look for a newer iPad or switch to a Samsung tablet instead - or keep with the older version of the Z21 app.

Cheers … Alan

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

It seems I can't get this update as it requires a more modern op system than my old iPad Mini - which is only supported up to IOS 9.3.5 and won't upgrade to any newer version - a reason I dislike Apple gear.  A pity as I like the size of the old iPad Mini.

Well, I might have to look for a newer iPad or switch to a Samsung tablet instead - or keep with the older version of the Z21 app.

Cheers … Alan

Samsung tablets are Android and Roco haven't issued an Android update. (yet?)

They are living in the past, more Android devices are sold these days than Apple.

• Like 1

Yes I have a Samsung.  Just looking and the latest Z21 version for Android which is Nov 2019.  Perhaps an update will follow ..

Also looking at an 8" Samsung Tab A at £139 from Currys, but which I can get for £118 direct from Samsung with my Defence Discount card ...hmmmm...

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, melmerby said:

They are living in the past, more Android devices are sold these days than Apple.

The sales are irrelevant they support both! 
The android version sometimes comes first and whichever didn’t release first will follow within a couple of weeks usually. Obviously they release it as soon as it’s ready rather than waiting to release both together. 
I use iPhones as throttles and android tablets as control panels with equal support on both. 

3 hours ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

Cheers … Alan

I have the same problem with a perfectly good iPad 2 which won't run the latest iOS. Very annoying!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Alan Kettlewell said:

Yes I have a Samsung.  Just looking and the latest Z21 version for Android which is Nov 2019.  Perhaps an update will follow ..

Also looking at an 8" Samsung Tab A at £139 from Currys, but which I can get for £118 direct from Samsung with my Defence Discount card ...hmmmm...

Well I use a 10" tablet from Huawei which is brilliant and I paid less than 100£ (Argos). Well probably there is free spy-software on it. They can spy what they want, I use it only for my Z21.... 

Battery lifetime is great, essential if you want to use it for a show. (But I also purchased 3m USB cables just in case...) 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Salmotrutta said:

I have the same problem with a perfectly good iPad 2 which won't run the latest iOS. Very annoying!

Apple changed to 64 bit only architecture many years ago and it is up to the app creators to maintain a 64 bit and 32 bit for the older machines that are IOS 9 and earlier. If the app creators down make a 32 bit version then you cant run it.

In this case it is Roco that is at fault, and not Apple, - something that is hard to say for a man who doesnt like Apple, but uses an iPhone :(

2 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Apple changed to 64 bit only architecture many years ago and it is up to the app creators to maintain a 64 bit and 32 bit for the older machines that are IOS 9 and earlier. If the app creators down make a 32 bit version then you cant run it.

In this case it is Roco that is at fault, and not Apple, - something that is hard to say for a man who doesnt like Apple, but uses an iPhone :(

I hadn't realised that was the reason for older Apple products getting stuck at iOS 8. I wondered why my 64Mb iPod touch is also a brick these days. At least ROCO have kept the legacy app (at least I still have it) unlike most of the apps on my iPod that have simply disappeared. Oh well. 

• RMweb Premium

Even Android stuff gets left behind with updates.

A phone I had was Android 4.4, I had the phone quite a few years and there never was an update available to a later OS

I've had my Galaxy Tab a few years, It's on 5.1, again no updates but my current phone, a Motorola (Lenovo) device was on Android 8 and updated to Android 9 sometime last year.

The "new" Z21 app only works on Android 5 or later, so my old phone was useless but it could run the "old" app.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

Well in typical Z21 fashion the new layout designer is clear as mud. I failed to read and fully digest the help pop ups that appeared on my screen, and now I can’t find the help screens and all I seem able to do is select track pieces that stubbornly refuse to be dragged into the track plan.

Help

John P