Hornby announcement 8th May

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

Only a couple of days now to a lovely, high fidelity, 27xx pannier.

Strange to think, it could be a 94xx pannier instead....

Or, our missing link, the North Staffordshire locomotive.

No Taff Vale Railway models please, we've already got enough of those....

Cheers,

Ian.

Don't toy with my emotions, Ian...

When does the "Elizabeth line" officially open ?

I am still thinking Hornby will stake a claim to the Aventra family of units which are currently on order for Anglia, SWR, WMR, LNWR and Crossrail.  something like 2,600 vehicles !!! 

• Like 1

Now a straightframed Saint would be something left field - doesn't look like all the other GWR 4-6-0s, (excuse me while I wash my mouth out).

It would represent the rebuild in intended condition.

I'm not sure how good it would be for later condition Saints, as I don't have enough knowledge to know whether Saints were rebuilt to curved frame in later life. Be too much to ask Hornby to cater for both types.

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off-topic, however....

Significant advances have been made in manufacturing techniques over the years, to the point of making frames for full-size locomotives vastly easier, and more important, more accurate and cheaper. I'm currently setting out a business plan for a full-size locomotive replica, and my previous perceptions about prices & costs are somewhat altered from work we've done some 20 years ago. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing.....

Cheers,

Ian.

• Like 1

Based on the fact that, as has been said above, the teased drawing on twitter shows a coach with a motor bogie AND there's been a handily timed tweet from the guys working on 3417 Gordon Pettit having a recording session of the sounds, my money is on some sort of Mk1 3rd rail EMU.

• RMweb Premium

Based on the fact that, as has been said above, the teased drawing on twitter shows a coach with a motor bogie AND there's been a handily timed tweet from the guys working on 3417 Gordon Pettit having a recording session of the sounds, my money is on some sort of Mk1 3rd rail EMU.

Could it be the re-launched Brighton Belle?

It now has ex-CIG Mk6 bogies, B5 trailing bogies, modified headlights, revised seating and catering arrangements, in short, enough modifications to need new tooling

http://brightonbelle.com/news

• Like 1

A while since anything GWR?

King, Castle, Star, Collett carriages, Toad, 42XX, 72XX, etc.

Jason

They were all quite a while ago except the Toad.

I personally wish it was a Saint.  It's a bit unusual that in the days of such a diverse range of obscure models being announced by many different manufacturers that a new build on the verge of completion is unnannounced.  I imagine that will change soon but based on Paul Isles' clues it is likely to be the TPE Class 185 that many have mentioned.

Edited by GWR8700

• RMweb Premium

Whilst we are on full froth mode I am going to throw my hat in the ring with Waggon Lits night sleeper stock. Probably completely wrong but we will know in a few days anyway

I can still recall the sounds of Gordon Pettit, especially when telling me my fortune if I did not buck up my ideas. I hope they have captured the bass.

Here's a thought

Hornby will bring  all their tooling, tool making, casting & injection moulding back to Margate.

When all casting & plastic bits are ready they will be sent to China for assembly

John

• Like 1

Here's a thought

Hornby will bring  all their tooling, tool making, casting & injection moulding back to Margate.

When all casting & plastic bits are ready they will be sent to China for assembly

John

They're not in Margate anymore John.

Hornby moved to Sandwich a few years ago.

There's only the visitor centre left at the old Margate site and they have been looking at where to move it to, for a while now.

• RMweb Gold

Now a straightframed Saint would be something left field - doesn't look like all the other GWR 4-6-0s, (excuse me while I wash my mouth out).

It would represent the rebuild in intended condition.

I'm not sure how good it would be for later condition Saints, as I don't have enough knowledge to know whether Saints were rebuilt to curved frame in later life. Be too much to ask Hornby to cater for both types.

At least one with straight frames at the cab end lasted until BR days but probably only made black livery if it ever got to be repainted after 1948.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

They're not in Margate anymore John.

Hornby moved to Sandwich a few years ago.

There's only the visitor centre left at the old Margate site and they have been looking at where to move it to, for a while now.

Beer?

Phil