Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

I think the red is good, and certainly better for a new loco , but the EWS typeface weight is still lower than that for the numbers.

I think Bachmann is better in that department .

TBH the jury is still out for me, I like the resilience of the Bachmann version as I tend to be a bit hard handed at times, but I love the detail of the Hattons ( not if it all falls off though ). Once this virus is over I may have to go take a look at one in the flesh .

CE08F742-0D6C-4640-811A-5213B224FAA5.jpeg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

I think the red is good, and certainly better for a new loco , but the EWS typeface weight is still lower than that for the numbers.

I think Bachmann is better in that department .

TBH the jury is still out for me, I like the resilience of the Bachmann version as I tend to be a bit hard handed at times, but I love the detail of the Hattons ( not if it all falls off though ). Once this virus is over I may have to go take a look at one in the flesh .

You do need to take a look - it is not until you see one in the flesh that you realise just how good they are. Yes they are delicate, but the detail is pretty amazing. I very nearly cancelled mine at one point as it is very much a rule 1 purchase, glad I didn't.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1

It is a superb model.

Appearance, detailing and performance - simply outstanding.

If 'retrospect' is required, perhaps more thought could have been put into the general maintenance and servicing aspects, which let's face it apart from at the start perhaps, are not that often.

I simply mean that relatively easy and reliable access could be gained to the gubbins without a 'high ping risk'.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Mines arrived. But as the package has been handled by a dozen or so people  between Liverpool and London or in the last 24 hours, I’m going to let it settle for a few days before opening. 
I know the ministers say it’s safe for parcels, but the scientists say it can live on cardboard too.. Theres a conflict. I can wait a few days to let nature resolve that.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

This may help, obviously the Baccy one is slightly weathered.

To me the Hatton's EWS red is fine especially after a dusting with an airbrush.

IMG_4206.jpeg

Edited by BigDee
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's going to rain over the weekend - leave it out.

It'll be fine by Monday .... :rolleyes:

Joking aside, as we're all a little tired already I think ... it is something we have to be very careful of.

I would definitely wipe down the outer packaging, remove wearing gloves and invert the packaging then dispose of it with the gloves - or simply ensure you wash your hands immediately if bare handed.

The thing is to avoid touching your face, particularly mouth and nose.

Internally, it depends how Hattons' staff handled them.

Is it 1 hour, 5 hours, 10 hours, 1 day?

Which materials?

I've had from 2 hours to 5 days for plastic surfaces alone.

Once you do open it, you will find one superb locomotive.

Al.

Edited by atom3624

Sorry to repeat much of what's been said already, but I think that it's important for the folks at Hattons to get the feedback.

As with so many of us, my loco arrived this morning.  My initial observations are:

• It wobbles
  • Rear lights don't work on one end
  • Both steps to cab broken on one side (the detailing is tremendous, but therefore very delicate)

The main issue is the wobble.  With 90+ pages of posts to trawl through I haven't seen a possible solution for this, so if anyone can help I'd be grateful!

It's a lovely model by the way!

• Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, classy52 said:

Yes for me as well, wanted 66789 with sound but I either underestimated the sales of this one with sound or Hattons did and simply didn't make enough which seems to be indicative across the range...who would have thought :scratchhead:

Sounds & EM2 Speakers can be ordered if Hattons do not have them from:

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=68&product_id=1639

Edited by charliepetty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Some of the replies to this thread over the last couple of months have made me chuckle.....

lists of problems, issues, bits missing and falling off etc then signed off with ‘it’s a lovely model’!

I keep thinking of the old joke......

Lost dog, one ear missing, 3 legs, blind and deaf, answers to the name lucky 

I really hope the issues are resolved for the future as I quite fancy getting one or two but as they stand now I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, big jim said:

Some of the replies to this thread over the last couple of months have made me chuckle.....

lists of problems, issues, bits missing and falling off etc then signed off with ‘it’s a lovely model’!

I keep thinking of the old joke......

Lost dog, one ear missing, 3 legs, blind and deaf, answers to the name lucky 

I really hope the issues are resolved for the future as I quite fancy getting one or two but as they stand now I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole

It's really difficult to judge what proportion have "issues" - most satisfied customers won't feel the need to post.  My two (66088 in EWS and 66593 in Freightliner - no DCC, sound or other fancy gimmicks) are great, but then I'm not afraid to stick axle boxes back on if/when they come loose.  After a while it stopped happening, so I reckon I've fixed all the loose ones!  I honestly wouldn't have noticed some errors if they hadn't been pointed out here.   

But what these models certainly do is spark a debate on fine detail versus usability.  Every time I get them out of the box I'm worried about dislodging some of the pipe runs (particularly near the bogies - bogie sides used to be my preferred place to put fingers whilst putting diesel bogies on the track).  And God forbid that I ever need to get the body off as bits will ping off into the wild blue yonder as others have mentioned.  Are they better than my Bachmann and Hornby 66s? Undoubtedly, by quite a long way! Am I a bit reluctant to use them for fear of damage? Yes...

Edited by 3rd Rail Exile
Hadn't finished!
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Here's a quick video of the wobbling issue:

Just running in now.

Will report back if it settles.

You said no other issues earlier, but aren’t there two missing axle boxes cover thingies showing in your  photo earlier and in this video?

Edited by john new

That’s quite a wobble isn’t it ? Not good .

im fully onboard the detail against practicality - had a Hornby 09 but reverted to Bachmann 08 as I could pick that up off the layout without fear of bits falling off .

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Fiskersham said:

Sorry to repeat much of what's been said already, but I think that it's important for the folks at Hattons to get the feedback.

As with so many of us, my loco arrived this morning.  My initial observations are:

• It wobbles
  • Rear lights don't work on one end
  • Both steps to cab broken on one side (the detailing is tremendous, but therefore very delicate)

The main issue is the wobble.  With 90+ pages of posts to trawl through I haven't seen a possible solution for this, so if anyone can help I'd be grateful!

It's a lovely model by the way!

Red lights - Could easily be a switch being in the wrong position to make them not work.

There is a few posts about the wobble, think one was down to the axle box covers not running concentric to the axle end

the other one was where the body sits on the bogie. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Here's a quick video of the wobbling issue:

<SNIP>

Just running in now.

Will report back if it settles.

I sometimes have issues with wobbling like that on my rolling-road that are just not present on a proper track. My 66005 has a slight wobble on the rolling-road, but not yet had a chance to put in on track.

Roy

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Here's some more photos.

Railway room (Bright white LED panel):

IMG_20200326_131130.jpg.186407410255e1557e4ca2824aa33dfb.jpg

IMG_20200326_131145.jpg.925cc356569a9d2d40b53de15335930d.jpg

Outside in the sun:

IMG_20200326_131303.jpg.eb58e3ab6c7c8a79afe12f8b3f6ecfe8.jpg

Outside in the shade:

IMG_20200326_131326.jpg.f3a173612da1b4125373b4b32404c61d.jpg

Haven't been over it with a toothpick but I haven't noticed any glue spots or anything. Only a slight gash in the yellow paint on the drivers cab steps (the right hand side in the photos).

Everything else seems in order.

Also, master volume of 45 seems good for me too.

Thanks for these, colours are great for the first few months in operation but otherwise a bit bright?

And that's a shame but predictable about the EWS branding. Please Hattons fix it if you do another run, you got it right for the numbers so why oh why is it different for the EWS!? I haven't bought an EWS yet but I do have my Freightliner one ready to investigate tomorrow, which I am looking forward to despite my previous gripes about the livery error and lighting issue.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I have received 4 today.

First impressions are that this is an outstanding model. Still running them in at the moment. The only slight issue being one missing axle box on 66097. 

The sound quality is way beyond my expectations and an absolute must have on this model.  Well done Hattons. 

FEFC9DD1-3F5E-4AEE-8C84-5E8F7268659A.jpeg

99C204F7-DC1D-4CA3-A3F5-4CB87BFC452F.jpeg

6ECA041A-3ED3-4C0A-A2DB-6326E87C89C2.jpeg

E62340B6-1AFA-4B43-9185-C39CAAD77D6A.jpeg

• Like 6

@Dicky L Is it just the photos or do the marker lights on 762 and 593 look yellow? They’re all white LEDs IRL so hope the models reflect this.

Hattons have certainly captured the look of the class very well.

Jack.