Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

5 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Err.... 

Advensa has never been done as a Hornby class 66 and a full spec one will suit a fair few people. Yes it was a failed company but its one that can suddenly turn up and can be the 'novelty' class 66. I bet some get it to get every company too. Stands a good chance I think. 

Err....

E0C6EE03-339A-48F0-A4F3-99F84FAABE51.png

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:

I wonder who they have to approach to reproduce the older non existent liveries if the companies are no longer around and whether the colour schemes are actually still available to work to.

That is an interesting question. Most comanies are bought in some form, in this case Fastline was bought by Jarvis who probably also acquired the livery rights. Ok so far, but Jarvis then went bust and was, as far as I am aware, liquidated. Whether any residual image rights were sold as part of that process I don't know.

But now a counter question, if a company has ceased to be, do you have to approach anybody to use the image or has any copyright etc. disappeared with it?

Roy

7 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

That is an interesting question. Most comanies are bought in some form, in this case Fastline was bought by Jarvis who probably also acquired the livery rights. Ok so far, but Jarvis then went bust and was, as far as I am aware, liquidated. Whether any residual image rights were sold as part of that process I don't know.

But now a counter question, if a company has ceased to be, do you have to approach anybody to use the image or has any copyright etc. disappeared with it?

Roy

Many companies would employ a design consultancy to create their logo and livery designs who will hold the copyright.

We used to have this fun in my advertising days. The client owned and paid for the image but not the copyright. Client had permission to use as long as they were a client, otherwise by negotiation. This back fired on us when we drafted in a freelance illustrator to cover holidays and again as a  Design Agency, we paid for and owned the actual image. This was fine for the original campaign but when the image was needed again later on, the copyright remained with the original illustrator who refused permission to use unless we bought out the rights (and we did - cost us dearly!).

Mike Wiltshire

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, classy52 said:

There has been a dump of pre-owned Class 66's on the Hattons website if you're interested in getting more...https://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1484058/1000588/1000635/0/hattons_originals_oo_gauge_1_76_scale_diesel_locos/prodlist.aspx?sort=7&pageid=1

I bagged 2 extra myself taking my tally to 9.

That was the most expensive post ive just read this year.

Though for long term spares, it looks like i’m set.

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

So that was you to take it from 36 to 29 :jester:

But Even though I really dislike a Pink locomotive, even if it doesnt work, at £74 i’m going to give it a shot...

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

But Even though I really dislike a Pink locomotive, even if it doesnt work, at £74 i’m going to give it a shot... and after-all theres 7 in that convoy picture above !

:D

Yes I was looking at the ones listed which were either non-runners, inconsistent runners or that GBRF Europorte one with loose internal parts needing to be re-fitted but wasn't feeling brave enough to dive in.

I basically succumbed to GBRF 66756 'Royal Corps of Signals' (really wanted that one) and hit the jackpot with DB Schenker 66118 which I had ordered previously whilst it showed in stock of 6 and then after a few days of it sitting in limbo within my account rang Hattons to find out it was actually out of stock which was disappointing but with their customer service being the usual high standard was given a gift voucher towards my next purchase which was a nice gesture.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, classy52 said:

Yes I was looking at the ones listed which were either non-runners, inconsistent runners or that GBRF Europorte one with loose internal parts needing to be re-fitted but wasn't feeling brave enough to dive in.

I basically succumbed to GBRF 66756 'Royal Corps of Signals' (really wanted that one) and hit the jackpot with DB Schenker 66118 which I had ordered previously whilst it showed in stock of 6 and then after a few days of it sitting in limbo within my account rang Hattons to find out it was actually out of stock which was disappointing but with their customer service being the usual high standard was given a gift voucher towards my next purchase which was a nice gesture.

I missed the DB one, and paid full rate for 66756..indeed it only just arrived today !.. indeed I went to bed last night thinking mission accomplished and i’d bought my last (except DRS 66429 which I missed out on).

I did pick a few intermittent runners, Ive done ok with buying reject/returns &  failed Dapol Westerns,  so i’m confident these 66’s will give me oppourtunity to do a relatively risk free tear down now.

Still at the price I’d expect at least one to become a christmas tree for the others... 

i’ll share my results on here.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I’ve ended up with another too, royal Scotsman livery 66746 from the pre owned section, there is one more left as I type at £99 with slight wheel wobble if anyone is interested 

I wouldn’t normally have gone for it but it’s the one of the pair of Scotsman locos I’ve driven for real (so far)

001.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, big jim said:

have you gone for the wobbly one for £99?

That was me; I had it in my basket before your message popped in, and you prompted me to just get on and buy it.

it arrived yesterday - the loose grille is barely visible, and we all know how to solve the wobble in five mins. For a £50 saving, I'm more than pleased (although I'll run it today to be sure)..!

Cheers

Rob

• RMweb Gold

Pink 66 arrived here, as described.. dead.

F9F27B3A-6633-42A3-8E11-F64170C3E09C.jpeg.74a68467252f25fea3024660f8ad918f.jpeg

plus lost buffer.

The lights are on, but no body is home..

2950EE6D-ACE4-491E-AFD6-3FAB073B6C28.jpeg.d86e73ec3699df9caa48100ec94077ef.jpeg

I removed the motor, and tested it, its very low resistance, it is dead, I was able to get it to turn, but very slowly.

so options. To hand I have a spare Heljan class 26 motor, proportions are almost identical. Its a 1mm shorter. So flywheels need to come off

404B4AA1-7FBC-451E-A174-C3BBB6F4D337.jpeg.d81cc4a96b0e2193b6b09b2eec174406.jpeg

and swapped back on.

BEF64818-0CDA-4186-8F94-EA255B727E72.jpeg.5fca9eb0e1f16cac6776d2990a25ca31.jpeg

in it goes, a bit of jiggling required to sit the shaft cups and fly wheels on the motor, but it sits in well.. 

that 1mm does bite you, the retainer for the motor needs it, so i’m going to fit this washer onto the shaft, which I believe will finish it.

1A085852-4B76-4448-B133-2B49CCEF9321.jpeg.5d3439db2dc40a60e0937a7fd21168c1.jpeg

quick test on rollers show this is a fast and responsive fix... tonight i’ll be reassembling ready for a track run and job done.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Considering the numbers you have bought i guess if you asked they might have gave you a running motor to fix it,they must have some off the returns.

it was bought as described as dead, so asking them to replace a dead motor on one advertised as dead might be a bit cheeky.

now ive got the dimensions etc, i may just order a bunch from China, they are around £3-5 each, inc shipping.  ive a few more to see how “intermittent” is intermittent running, i’ll dissect the dead one first, to see if its brushless or not, and how the contacts are.

Ive basically got a pink 66 for c£80, no matter how much I dont like pink.. though i look at it, I tell myself its magenta, one thing I can say is its a bargain.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

i’ll dissect the dead one first, to see if its brushless or not, and how the contacts are.

So plan A, was security, dead motor, make a replacement motor fit, bobs your uncle.

Plan B, knowing Plan A is secure, youve nothing to lose...

DA9D4B77-8445-4F3B-8B7D-7BA5FC5370B7.jpeg.67c069d91c405e6f40eb7761450df4ec.jpeg

it is a Brush motor, and if you look carefully, you can see the culprit....

31135593-4C83-44CF-AFBB-447F41B5F8E6.jpeg.c33fd2781070f6057c7f9c7828242d5a.jpeg

Push the brush closer to the centre line in order to touch the commutator.

I now have a working motor !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1