Class 66 in OO Gauge - New Announcement

Hattons Dave

• RMweb Premium

A mate of mine has spotted a mod to 66743/66746.

I don't know if it's previously been noted in the many pages of this (and the 66 photos) thread.

The roof mounted NRN pod is mounted on the slope of the roof, not in the usual place on the top.

A quick flickr search shows them carrying two pods, but they appear to have gone to one in an early 2019 refresh/repaint.

Pics from flickr. Dated July 2019

Single side mounted pod

66746 5Z83

February 2019 - two pods - one in the usual place.

66746 at Doncaster

It looks like they've carried these from acquiring the Royal Scotsman livery.

There are other small livery variations, but these seem a quite visible alteration.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 21/02/2021 at 22:30, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

I guess its what your happy with doing,you tube has loads on about removing and reattaching them.its a nice feature and if you want it just like the real thing they need to run perfectly true. Most seem happy just removing and glue it shortened back into the bogie detail.I reaxled one as a prototype and re engineered the axle end so the detail goes into a metal detail and its ran for probably 1000 hours with no issue whatsoever but its a lot of work and i am too busy at the moment to amend and do more of my fleet. Remove them and try it without them first if it is badly wobbling.The best ones ive seen are the pre owned ones i bought to have as parts donors yet they run flawless.

Ta, I had a nose on YouTube, i could only find two fixes which involve removing all the rotating axle boxes and drilling the holes out that they fit through with a 3.2mm drill. Removing the part of the bogie that needs drilling looks simple enough so that is what i aim to do, drills have been ordered and I'll see how brave I'm feeling when they arrive, also ordered some 0.8mm drills to drill the glue out of the axle box ends.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Ta, I had a nose on YouTube, i could only find two fixes which involve removing all the rotating axle boxes and drilling the holes out that they fit through with a 3.2mm drill. Removing the part of the bogie that needs drilling looks simple enough so that is what i aim to do, drills have been ordered and I'll see how brave I'm feeling when they arrive, also ordered some 0.8mm drills to drill the glue out of the axle box ends.

Thats what I did, a tiny dab of glue underneath the bufferbeam steps will, pay you long term dividends too.

after that, thats it really.

just remember with the drill, its a 1 second job on each axle hole, dont go wild drilling round, theres only about 4mm in total, but in out straight through the middle is all you need.

Axle box holes to, only press in 1mm (the stub on the axle is only 1mm), go deep, you’ll come out the front of the axle box very quickly.

it is an easy job though, and you’ll be pleased with the results.

Edited by adb968008

13 hours ago, newbryford said:

I don't know if it's previously been noted in the many pages of this (and the 66 photos) thread.

The roof mounted NRN pod is mounted on the slope of the roof, not in the usual place on the top.

A quick flickr search shows them carrying two pods, but they appear to have gone to one in an early 2019 refresh/repaint.

Single side mounted pod

66746 5Z83

February 2019 - two pods - one in the usual place.

66746 at Doncaster

It looks like they've carried these from acquiring the Royal Scotsman livery.

There are other small livery variations, but these seem a quite visible alteration.

Got a feeling the second radio pod is for RETB in Scotland. All the GBFM pool locos (RETB fitted) appear to have it from a quick Flickr perusal.

With NRN no longer in use, a few other locos (like some of the 60s) have had the NRN pods removed too.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Got a feeling the second radio pod is for RETB in Scotland. All the GBFM pool locos (RETB fitted) appear to have it from a quick Flickr perusal.

With NRN no longer in use, a few other locos (like some of the 60s) have had the NRN pods removed too.

Jo

Looks like I'll be adding one to 66740..... (and removing the original)

Interesting to note that the GBFM pool only appears to have locos that were ex-DRS (and via Advenza/Colas) or ex-FL locos. 66733/36/37/39/40/43/46

• RMweb Gold
On 27/02/2021 at 17:44, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

As for pink 66,s if a woman gets to run FL the whole lot might turn pink if my youngest daughter is out to go by............

Pink buses came to Belfast around the time Joan Smyth became Chairperson of the Northern Ireland Transport Holding Company.  Coincidence??

https://images.app.goo.gl/WzYgkY7AJmfuqtwFA

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Just be careful opening out the detail holes,i use a pin drill and do it with assending drills as it can bite in with plastic if you go for it in one with motor drill,i have a little film i put on f/ book of the bogies done with longer axles but this will not let me load it.

I want to keep it as its a freight loco and it mostly runs slow due to loading and its how the real thing is,i know why they are at the axle length they use but its lucky bag engineering done as it is,i just want mine lifetime reliable,the models and my own.See what comes first i guess

I use PCB drills more and more these days. Step up in 0.1mm increments and come ready to use. Not my set, but this is the sort if thing: Drills

Roy

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I use PCB drills more and more these days. Step up in 0.1mm increments and come ready to use. Not my set, but this is the sort if thing: Drills

Roy

I like these drill too, though they are extremely brittle.

On 27/02/2021 at 23:33, newbryford said:

Single side mounted pod

66746 at Doncaster

Is it just my eyes or is the grille missing from the rear part of the roof?

Graham

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

Is it just my eyes or is the grille missing from the rear part of the roof?

Graham

B*gger!

And I thought it was only Hattons 66s that had problems with loose grilles..........

• Funny 2

41 minutes ago, newbryford said:

B*gger!

And I thought it was only Hattons 66s that had problems with loose grilles..........

Means the Hattons' models are even more prototypical than first thought!

Graham

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

H66-20 is down to 13 if its on your list its the last of the powerhaul freightliner livery,in fact most of the freighliner standard livery are on the less than 10 brink.

How are you getting these exact numbers? When I look at the website it just says more than 10 in stock. 

4 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

How are you getting these exact numbers? When I look at the website it just says more than 10 in stock. 

You add the item to your basket and then in the 'Qty in Cart' box you then add a random number (what you think is left, take a guess) and click on 'Update and Save Cart' and if the number skips back to 1 then what is left is less than what you put in, or if your number stays the same then it is either less than or = to or greater or = to what is left of that 66.

You keep doing this going backwards or forwards until you reach the point where your number input doesn't skip back to 1, but remember at each input of a number you must 'Update and Save Cart'...quite handy when you are watching the numbers for budgeting purposes.

Hopefully I've explained that correctly...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, classy52 said:

You add the item to your basket and then in the 'Qty in Cart' box you then add a random number (what you think is left, take a guess) and click on 'Update and Save Cart' and if the number skips back to 1 then what is left is less than what you put in, or if your number stays the same then it is either less than or = to or greater or = to what is left of that 66.

You keep doing this going backwards or forwards until you reach the point where your number input doesn't skip back to 1, but remember at each input of a number you must 'Update and Save Cart'...quite handy when you are watching the numbers for budgeting purposes.

Hopefully I've explained that correctly...

Oh god that’s too much hassle lol. More than 10 is enough of an indication for me. 

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

I used to use the £150 GBRF one as a measure, it had 30 odd left for ages, and as soon as anything slipped above it in the “least stock” search... generally sold out within 2 weeks.

tonight 66-013 in DRS has 27 left.. so that puts all freightliner and 66705 above it.

Not sure why DRS compass hasnt sold though, I would have thought it very popular.

i reckon once the mainstream liveries have gone, Cemex,Pink, Scotsman will pick up.

I’m going to predict the old blue gbrf and European 66’s to be the ones that linger forever...though provide good respray fodder.

• Agree 1

Think I'm going to risk buying one of these again.

There's a lot of documentation on how to fix it so hopefully I'll be able to, despite my kack-handedness at even the simplest of tasks.

Will cost slightly less than the DCC Sound Fitted I did have, different livery so hopefully better model, especially if they're doing a visual inspection before leaving the shop.

Will document my findings.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Cemex,Pink

I am surprised they didn't do well TBH.

ONE is about the only Freightliner celeb livery

Cemex is a good celeb  livery AND now the shorty HYAs are announced by AS matching wagons can be bought.

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Cemex is a good celeb  livery AND now the shorty HYAs are announced by AS matching wagons can be bought.

I brought " As One We Can" last Thursday . Axle boxes have been re worked as per , slight issue with the roof grill ,but sorted it. Seriously considering the Cemex one, because of the AS HYA's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I wonder if people don’t like the livery or whether it’s more the fact FL 66s are perceived as mainly being about pulling long rakes of containers which is hard to do on your average OO set up. The green ones didn’t exactly go first either .

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

I wonder if people don’t like the livery or whether it’s more the fact FL 66s are perceived as mainly being about pulling long rakes of containers which is hard to do on your average OO set up. The green ones didn’t exactly go first either .

When it comes to modern image, I tend to aim to what Ive seen (or optimistically hope to see).

For travel, 2020 is my worst on record, indeed my steam mileage exceeds my network rail mileage... and that steam mileage is just 3 preserved lines...one of them was Didcot.

the rest of it has been social distance bridges in remote locations, or deserted stations after midnight.  So most of 2020 has been Stone trains, weekend ballasts or RHTT... the upside.. no pink 66.. downside 59206 in yack orange.

wouldnt mind Cemex to put in an appearance.. could swap for 66792..its been on surrey ballasts every week since it emerged from Eastleigh ex-Rushrail, odd thing is it showsup same engineering location as 66001 quite often.. 1st and latest... i think we are a bit to far south for Royal Scotsman 66’s though.

Edited by adb968008