Greater Anglia's Stadler Flirt - Class 745 & 755

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Pete 75C said:

I'm hardly the first to say it, but doesn't large logo blue look FANTASTIC on a 37? What a great shot.

InterCity at the other end. Won't let me upload a photo at the moment  :(

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

They were definitely working Saturday 17th on the short set as I and lots of other enthusiasts were riding them, many of them having been in Wales riding them too if I overheard the conversations correctly! Don't know about during the week.

IMG_20190817_1539581.jpg

IMG_20190817_154623.jpg

Lovely photos. It's good to see that they have been out and about recently. There really is something about DRS 37/4s in heritage liveries such as BR Large Logo Blue & Intercity. A really nice touch of DRS to repaint them into these liveries for most likely their last few years of operation and as always Loram have done an excellent job with the paintwork. 

3 hours ago, Pete 75C said:

I'm hardly the first to say it, but doesn't large logo blue look FANTASTIC on a 37? What a great shot.

It really does. I am looking forward to Bachmann releasing 424 in BR Large Logo Blue in OO Gauge in December. I'm sure it will make a lovely new addition to many modern image layouts. 

Just now, russ p said:

I think 37s without yellow panels look a bit drab 

Nah - just raw, no-nonsense power; none of your namby-pamby Sherwood Green trim for these EE workhorses.

The brass rims to the small circular grilles were the only concession to decoration.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Satan's Goldfish said:

Interesting. I thought those areas were firmly in the realm of new Bombardier stock.

Yes thats true, but with regards to Harwich, there are 4 trains a day that go from/to harwich international from Ipswich,  2A04 and 2W06 being the 2 morning services. With Clacton, I'm not sure why. I'd ask they guys at the box, but I'm off on sick leave at the moment.

Ta

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
On 26/08/2019 at 07:43, Pete 75C said:

Given how many are in that livery now I think you'll find it's a popular view.

2 hours ago, Coryton said:

Given how many are in that livery now I think you'll find it's a popular view.

It's very popular on whatever gets it. And it does look good generally.

Might be a nostalgia thing for diesel fans, harking back to the second half of the 1980s. Much like a large proportion of steam engines are in some form of BR colours.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Zomboid said:

It's very popular on whatever gets it. And it does look good generally.

Might be a nostalgia thing for diesel fans, harking back to the second half of the 1980s. Much like a large proportion of steam engines are in some form of BR colours.

In the 1980/90’s most preserved diesels were painted Green, as most preserved lines wouldn't accept them unless they fitted in. 

However the 1980’s/90’s era is starting to become nostalgic, as the generation that remembered them is becoming more aware once more.

Edited by adb968008

24 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

In the 1980/90’s most preserved diesels were painted Green, as most preserved lines wouldn't accept them unless they fitted in. 

However the 1980’s/90’s era is starting to become nostalgic, as the generation that remembered them is becoming fiscally important to preserved railways.

Fixed that for you, you're welcome :)

C6T. 

• Funny 2

35 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

However the 1980’s/90’s era is starting to become nostalgic, as the generation that remembered them is becoming more aware once more.

It's notable that coaches in blue & grey are also now permitted. There's at least one preserved thumper in NSE, too.

On 26/08/2019 at 20:01, Siggie in the east said:

Yes thats true, but with regards to Harwich, there are 4 trains a day that go from/to harwich international from Ipswich,  2A04 and 2W06 being the 2 morning services. With Clacton, I'm not sure why. I'd ask they guys at the box, but I'm off on sick leave at the moment.

Ta

There was talk that the Sudbury to Marks Tey service was going to be extended to Colchester Town. Not aware of any plans to extend towards Clacton but perhaps stock could be kept there overnight or used to provide some additional peak capacity.

Nick 

1 minute ago, stivesnick said:

There was talk that the Sudbury to Marks Tey service was going to be extended to Colchester Town. Not aware of any plans to extend towards Clacton but perhaps stock could be kept there overnight or used to provide some additional peak capacity.

Nick 

My brother-in-law lives next to that branch so seen the service pass his back garden many times. I've kinda assumed it was going to be a 3 coach 755 replacing the usual 153/156. Not sure how much extra capacity a small Stadler unit could provide in an area otherwise operated by Bombardier units on stopping services.

• RMweb Gold

Has there been any updates on what services are due to have the new units?  I was just wondering when they are likely to appear on the Ipswich- Peterborough services or will that be one of the last ones to be done?