Why won’t Dapol reply to emails?

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure if this has been posted before or anyone else has had the same issues but I’ve sent Dapol several emails regarding their products, recently asking if they plan to re-release their OO Scale Megafrets but never had a single reply.

I find this extremely frustrating as I want to become a regular buyer of their products but why should I if they can’t be bothered to reply.

There is no guarantee that they have received your emails or that they were sent to the most relevant person. Sometimes it's best to speak directly at shows that they attend or engage with them on the Dapol Digest forum.

Plus, of course, they may not want to release what they may well consider commercially sensitive information until they are ready to do so.

G

Not to everyone's taste but Facebook used to be another way to connect with Dapol.

Do they Tweet as well?

But otherwise the Dapol Forum is the place and Dapol do respond to courteous requests, I did notice that Mr 710000 Duke of Gloucester is posting there with suggestions on the Mogul but the responses from Dapol are going to someone who is also a member on here who was making more structured observations.

Very few companies can afford to keep staff to respond to every uninvited email they receive. Often the best reply you can hope for is "Thank you for your interest which has been passed to the appropriate department". As Grahame wrote in Dapol's case they provide a place where you can pose your questions through the Dapol Digest. Others can comment on your message, and sometimes Dapol will reply if they have anything to say which is not commercially sensitive.

• RMweb Gold

There is no guarantee that they have received your emails or that they were sent to the most relevant person. Sometimes it's best to speak directly at shows that they attend or engage with them on the Dapol Digest forum.

Plus, of course, they may not want to release what they may well consider commercially sensitive information until they are ready to do so.

G

Talking to them at shows is difficult for me as I’m disabled more than once I’ve been pushed to the floor because people in a rush to see things, so I don’t go anymore. I appreciate that a product might be commercially sensitive if it was a new project but as they’ve already done them, I don’t see the issue. Even if it was, a simple email back saying “not at present” or something similar would at least be a response.

• RMweb Gold

If you do contact Dapol, can I respectfully suggest that you keep it polite, factual, and to the point. I know that the vast majority on RMweb is pretty polite, but sometimes it's easy to run away with the keyboard.  I've had 2 occasions to contact Dapol, and I had responses on both. I'm not connected with Dapol, so I'd suggest looking at the Dapol Digest pages. Remember folks, that polite discourse works well with the people over there, and surprisingly, they might want to talk more than you realise....

Cheers,

Ian.  

Not to everyone's taste but Facebook used to be another way to connect with Dapol.

Do they Tweet as well?

They are not the most prolific users of twitter and any questions posted in replies don't get answered.

Talking to them at shows is difficult for me as I’m disabled more than once I’ve been pushed to the floor because people in a rush to see things, so I don’t go anymore. I appreciate that a product might be commercially sensitive if it was a new project but as they’ve already done them, I don’t see the issue. Even if it was, a simple email back saying “not at present” or something similar would at least be a response.

I'm sorry to hear that you were pushed to the floor - that's certainly not civilised acceptable behavior. Presumably if it was under their noses they would have helped you up from the floor, checked you were okay, and then no doubt talked to you about your concerns.

However, in terms of electronic communications, email is probably third behind the Dapol Digest forum and social media (like Facebook). Why not give those two communication channels a whirl?

G

I’m not sure if this has been posted before or anyone else has had the same issues but I’ve sent Dapol several emails regarding their products, recently asking if they plan to re-release their OO Scale Megafrets but never had a single reply.

I find this extremely frustrating as I want to become a regular buyer of their products but why should I if they can’t be bothered to reply.

Which Megafrets was it that you were after and when did you last search for them?

If it was the GBRF, Freightliner and DRS ones then Rails Of Sheffield have had some of these in the past month or so I believe.

• RMweb Gold

I had contacted Dapol twice in the past, and at the first time when Dave was still there I received a reply. The second time when I asked which DCC chip the used in their Class 27, and if I can get any information about the DCC chip, They only replied to me that I should contact DCC Concepts. I did and never received an E-Mail from them. But I think, when they offer a factory equipped loco with decoder. That they should know the make of the decoder.

Markus

• RMweb Gold

I'm sorry to hear that you were pushed to the floor - that's certainly not civilised acceptable behavior. Presumably if it was under their noses they would have helped you up from the floor, checked you were okay, and then no doubt talked to you about your concerns.

G

A tangent to this thread I know, but the behaviour of some at shows beggars belief. A couple of years ago I attended a show whilst on crutches and when I was not allowed to put any weight on one foot. Never again. I had people lean on me, push me and one gentleman (ok, idiot) who decuded to try to move one crutch so he could get in next to me!

At the Warley show two years ago my then 9 year old son was pulled back from the front of the Bachmann sales stand by some guy who thought his ticket gave him more rights than that of my son. How I avoided punching him I do not know - probably the shock of his manners more than my self discipline.

Roy

I must admit Dapol have always been very good and timely in responding to my queries in the past, maybe you have just been unlucky? Enquiries through the website seem to be replied to quickly from my experience.

I know had a things can be frustrating but remember it is holiday time at the moment and there may be a lot of people away from work... I'm not a social media person so don't know whether FB/Twitter are a better bet, but regular website/email contact has always worked fine for me.

Edited by south_tyne

If you do contact Dapol, can I respectfully suggest that you keep it polite, factual, and to the point. I know that the vast majority on RMweb is pretty polite, but sometimes it's easy to run away with the keyboard.  I've had 2 occasions to contact Dapol, and I had responses on both. I'm not connected with Dapol, so I'd suggest looking at the Dapol Digest pages. Remember folks, that polite discourse works well with the people over there, and surprisingly, they might want to talk more than you realise....

Cheers,

Ian.  

I would echo that. 

En route to Wales I have called in at their Chirk premises several times and had really excellent "face to face" service in their shop. More recently I believe someone from the factory pops through the door into the shop when the bell rings.

I recommend perseverance.