Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 60526 said:

I viewed the class 55 yesterday and it is mightily impressive. So to pick up on the words "definitive deltic" in the video, it certainly looks it, I don't know all the functions the sound chip has, but F15 is an English voice announcing a departure from Waverley? By parentage I'm half Scottish but saw Deltics mainly at the Kings Cross end, but if I put the other hat on it would be good to hear an Edinburgh accent announcing a Waverley departure. Come to think of it, if I lived in or around Newcastle, perhaps announce the departures to London or Edinburgh in a geordie accent...Definitve Deltic?

late 70s IIRC station announcer at Newcastle was a woman with the poshest BBC accent ever....

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Silly thought - is it really appropriate to use up a sound function on a locomotive for a sound that is not of the locomotive? A guard's whistle I can just about understand, but station announcements? :scratchhead:

They do usually sound quite effective.....providing your railway has the appropriate stations on board.....otherwise a bit of fun.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

They do usually sound quite effective.....providing your railway has the appropriate stations on board.....otherwise a bit of fun.

What is needed is a cheap sound solution that allows us to add sound to rolling stock. With rolling stock the speakers don’t need to be that good as typically the sounds are less compex/bassy. 

Roy

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

What is needed is a cheap sound solution that allows us to add sound to rolling stock. With rolling stock the speakers don’t need to be that good as typically the sounds are less compex/bassy. 

Roy

Do you mean like the Hornby wagon?

4 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Silly thought - is it really appropriate to use up a sound function on a locomotive for a sound that is not of the locomotive? A guard's whistle I can just about understand, but station announcements? :scratchhead:

I was wondering whether to post the question on here and I made the wrong decision. You missed the point.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, boxbrownie said:

Do you mean like the Hornby wagon?

A bit like that, but retro-fit and suitable for coaches, parcels, wagons etc.  The Hornby wagon is more intended to be static with lots of ambient sounds. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Sounds in any vehicle, for my purposes (and this is purely only my humble onion) should be appropriate to the vehicle. If I want sounds in my station (or anywhere else on a layout) I'd prefer to have a standalone system of some kind designed for purpose, where I can put small speakers (or large ones) where they need to be for the sounds to come from the right places.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 09/06/2020 at 12:00, Pillar said:

Sounds excellent!

Will the high and low horn tones be playable? I find this is a great feature which is sadly missing from many RtR sound-fitted locos.

Playable horns has been a feature of Legoman and Howes sound decoders for some time, and normally far superior to RTR examples.

New Deltic sounds great.....!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Ian J. said:

Sounds in any vehicle, for my purposes (and this is purely only my humble onion) should be appropriate to the vehicle. If I want sounds in my station (or anywhere else on a layout) I'd prefer to have a standalone system of some kind designed for purpose, where I can put small speakers (or large ones) where they need to be for the sounds to come from the right places.

There is available (cannot recall by whom presently) a sound recorder and playback device you can record your own sounds on to and use on your layout, maybe that is what you need?

• Like 1

Been watching the Sound Video again. listening to the loco at full thrash 3.08 to 3.24 there is a slight jump/discontinuity/thud in the sound every 3ish seconds, which i suspect is the splicing/repitition of the sound file. This means that the wave forms are not quite matching in the way they are spliced (I speak as someone who has dabbled in theatre sound design many years ago and was editing wave forms). Just wanted to point this out in case it had been missed, and in the hope it cam be improved.

Of course I could be completely wrong and it is some auxillary system/pump that we are hearing, in which case I take this back!

BUT if the sound clip loaded on the chip for this setting is about 3 seconds, it may be worth refining.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

There is available (cannot recall by whom presently) a sound recorder and playback device you can record your own sounds on to and use on your layout, maybe that is what you need?

Though I don't know of any specific systems, I'm not surprised they exist. Ideally I'd like one that can handle multiple speakers up to any (reasonable) amount, and can be programmed to have sounds not just at one speaker, but to transit between speakers as well. Dolby Atmos for model railway layouts, if you will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

late 70s IIRC station announcer at Newcastle was a woman with the poshest BBC accent ever....

Posh = Exotic.

You mean she wasn't from Newcastle then ?

:stop:

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian J. said:

Though I don't know of any specific systems, I'm not surprised they exist. Ideally I'd like one that can handle multiple speakers up to any (reasonable) amount, and can be programmed to have sounds not just at one speaker, but to transit between speakers as well. Dolby Atmos for model railway layouts, if you will.

Pretty sure this was a fairly common feature on US layouts, they had several speakers under the boards and were fed sound depending upon where the Loco or feature was.

Not sure its as popular now with on board Loco sounds.

Edited by boxbrownie
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ian J. said:

This is what I saw........http://www.train-tech.com/index.php/sound/sound-track

• Informative/Useful 1

The sound captures the Deltic throb beautifully. I noticed, though, that the loco seems a little coggy at low speed. Is that down to the video or is there be fine tuning still to be carried out? I realise, of course, that the model is still an EP.

One thing that would be nice would be for the sound to be able to be faded up and faded out so when loco goes off scene the sound fades away into the distance and vice versa before it comes on scene.

Mark Humphrys

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark said:

One thing that would be nice would be for the sound to be able to be faded up and faded out so when loco goes off scene the sound fades away into the distance and vice versa before it comes on scene.

Mark Humphrys

Are you saying that the whizzy all-singing, all-dancing DCC controllers don't have a volume slider to allow you to do that?  

Whilst I'm one of the Luddite DC brigade (I simply don't have the finance to "chip" all of the collection I've built up or inherited over the years, nor the skill to hard wire models from 30-40 years ago), I'd have thought playing with the sound volume as trains go by was one of the major "wow" factors of DCC. 

But getting back to the topic, I must admit that the sound for the Deltic is fantastic - I might have to play the audio from that video when running my "DC Only" version one it arrives!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, No Decorum said:

The sound captures the Deltic throb beautifully. I noticed, though, that the loco seems a little coggy at low speed. Is that down to the video or is there be fine tuning still to be carried out? I realise, of course, that the model is still an EP.

Hi No Decorum,

It's lovely and smooth as a runner, but we have pulled it apart a fair bit too. It could be the frame rate on the camera too. There is another video of it running here: 

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Mark Humphrys

Hi Mark,

The chip has this feature on it too.

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

Mark Humphrys

What about a scale speed simulated Doppler effect?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, classy52 said:

Those wagons look jerky...its the wagons I tell ya!!!

Is it me or does the EP look damn near perfect?

It's very kind of you to say so but there are several areas that needed improvement and refinement that are currently being worked on. We know this caused a delay in delivery, but so many times before we have seen models unveiled with flaws, modellers pointing them out, then being disappointed with the flaws continuing to production. We wanted to be different in this regard and correct what we found wrong. It costs a fair bit to do these corrections, but we felt it should be done and modellers would appreciate this in the long run. 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

It's very kind of you to say so but there are several areas that needed improvement and refinement that are currently being worked on. We know this caused a delay in delivery, but so many times before we have seen models unveiled with flaws, modellers pointing them out, then being disappointed with the flaws continuing to production. We wanted to be different in this regard and correct what we found wrong. It costs a fair bit to do these corrections, but we felt it should be done and modellers would appreciate this in the long run. 

Cheers!

Fran

What are you trying to do....impress us? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

I kind of get the impression its an assumed prerequisite - the detailing will be superb, the quality is yet to be seen.

We've already seen another 'manufacturer's brave attempt' getting some harsh-but-fair press - let's hope this one strikes gold with no issues ... as is anticipated ... no pressure of course!!

Al.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Cheers!

Fran

This is why you'll have my business above all others for both loco's & wagons/coaches and but will also mention RevolutioN (great wagons) as well as Dapol (very good wagons & Class 68), this is based on my wants only and these days I'm very picky and do stay away from those who continue with livery & tooling errors that are difficult or impossible to correct or just plainly lacking in QC as models are quite expensive thus don't want to add extra costs on top of what I've paid in order to correct or fix something.

Anyway keep up the great work!

• Agree 1