Jump to content

Accurascale Class 55 Deltic - 4mm scale


Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

I have no questions. I count among my friends people who I have worked with who also worked at Finsbury Park when the Deltics were allocated there. My last Deltic was Ballymoss, so I have ordered it with FP white window surrounds in honour of both the foregoing. I am really looking forward to getting my hand on it. Please send it soon.

  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

                 

DELTIC MODELS REACH

LIVERY SAMPLING STAGE

 

We have now received images of the livery samples from Accurascale for the commissioned ‘Exclusive Edition’ models of Class 55 ‘Deltic’ locomotives. These are being produced in conjunction with Rails of Sheffield and The Deltic Preservation Society and feature preserved examples.

 

Locomotion Models versions represent the National Collections ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ as follows.

 

D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green livery as currently preserved and running on the National Network (Era 9).

 

D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green 1980 with full yellow ends as repainted for its final thirteen months in traffic before withdrawal on 31st December 1981. The repaint into its colours was paid for with the aid of a grant from the Friends of the National Railway Museum (Era 7).

 

Livery samples are currently en-route to us and will undergo a thorough evaluation process before being cleared for production.

 

The images shown here did not have buffers fitted at the time of photography.

Accurascale D9002 BR Green SYP-2.jpg

Accurascale 55002 BR Green FYE-2.jpg

  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 14/02/2021 at 16:29, gordon s said:

Fran, I think you deserve a knighthood, for your patience and perseverance in accommodating all these tiny, but proven changes in your pursuit of perfection.....:drinks:
 

This thread should be pinned up in the Boardroom of every manufacturer in this market as an example of how to relate to your customer base and engage in positive acceptance of changes before finally pressing the button on production. This model will be outstanding and how much better it has been to have these inputs now rather than have all these minor observations detracting from the purity of this model after release.

 

If only all models were made this way.........

Fran, I’ll make you Lord Fran if you do a 7mm Deltic....

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, delticfan said:

Fran, I’ll make you Lord Fran if you do a 7mm Deltic....

And I will make you King Fran if you announce a 7mm class 37 at the same time...

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi All,

These look absolutely superb.

Now I am after some help in finding an excuse to buy one.

My modelling period is from 1986 - 1996 & my preference would be a two tone green liveried example for Railtours etc.

'Royal Scots Grey' I was thinking off, but can not see this. Have I missed something?

Could anyone provide some clarification/inspiration on which model to buy.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by CB Rail
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't ask me just ordered Tulyar this minute from Locomotions on top of Alcydon and Yorkshire already ordered from ROS. 

 

Just going to turn of the Wifi its getting all too much  :fie:

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/02/2021 at 15:03, G-BOAF said:

I mean the fact that the crank cases and an outline of the extreme protrusions of the engine units are modelled is quite exceptional!

Were it not for the need for a great big can motor, I'm sure a complete reprasentation of the deltic block would have been possible!

 

Mine's going to have Zontar inside with a can of Radweld in his hand.....................

 

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Funny 4
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm about to place my order, but I have a question about the DPS/Rails/Locomotion ones.

 

I'd like to support the DPS - they do a great job restoring the Deltics and endeavouring to keep them on the main line.

 

Will DPS get a cut from every one of those exclusive DPS/Rails/Locomotion Deltics sold, or only the ones bought from the DPS online shop?

 

The reason I ask is that I am in a bit of a quandary as to who to order it from. Whilst DPS are doing important work on Deltic preservation, I don't have so much confidence in their sales operation.  I ordered a custom weathered Bachmann Tulyar from them many years ago, and it never came despite lots of chasing and promises. So in terms of knowing I will get it, I would prefer to order from a slick operation like Rails.  But it would be good to know if some benefit still went to the good work of DPS for that limited edition. 

 

Does anyone know how the benefit from the exclusive editions is allocated?

 

Since we are supporting important charitable organisations here, I don't think there is any reason why this information should not be open and transparent.

 

Pete

 

 

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Locomotion No. 3 said:

                 

DELTIC MODELS REACH

LIVERY SAMPLING STAGE

 

We have now received images of the livery samples from Accurascale for the commissioned ‘Exclusive Edition’ models of Class 55 ‘Deltic’ locomotives. These are being produced in conjunction with Rails of Sheffield and The Deltic Preservation Society and feature preserved examples.

 

Locomotion Models versions represent the National Collections ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ as follows.

 

D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green livery as currently preserved and running on the National Network (Era 9).

 

D9002 ‘Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry’ in two tone green 1980 with full yellow ends as repainted for its final thirteen months in traffic before withdrawal on 31st December 1981. The repaint into its colours was paid for with the aid of a grant from the Friends of the National Railway Museum (Era 7).

 

Livery samples are currently en-route to us and will undergo a thorough evaluation process before being cleared for production.

 

The images shown here did not have buffers fitted at the time of photography.

Accurascale D9002 BR Green SYP-2.jpg

Accurascale 55002 BR Green FYE-2.jpg

At long last, the picture I've been waiting for!!!

Yum

Two comments, two questions:

1. The tanks of 55002 (1980s) should, I believe be black not green (they are green on D9002 as today)

2. The  BR crests on D9002 (2016) should be a little higher up the bodyside than they currently are - the text bar should be level with the bottom of the cab door handrail, not below it, and therefore the crest should not be interfacing with the (correctly positioned) shedplate! They are correct on 55002 but not on D9002, and there should be a difference (see picture below)

3. Will the front end on D9002 be improved in terms of the yellow/dark green/lime green interface at the front, especially round the headlight? - It looks like someone gave up on masking at this stage!

4. Cantrail lining - I presume as per D9016 this will be corrected to run just above the window gutter and then straight along the bodyside?

 

 

Higher BR crests on D9002 today

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D9002_at_National_Railway_Museum,_York_(28184251402).jpg

 

Lower BR crests on 55002 in 1980s

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/[email protected]/32417658831/

  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

At long last, the picture I've been waiting for!!!

Yum

Two comments, two questions:

1. The tanks of 55002 (1980s) should, I believe be black not green (they are green on D9002 as today)

2. The  BR crests on D9002 (2016) should be a little higher up the bodyside than they currently are - the text bar should be level with the bottom of the cab door handrail, not below it, and therefore the crest should not be interfacing with the (correctly positioned) shedplate! They are correct on 55002 but not on D9002, and there should be a difference (see picture below)

3. Will the front end on D9002 be improved in terms of the yellow/dark green/lime green interface at the front, especially round the headlight? - It looks like someone gave up on masking at this stage!

4. Cantrail lining - I presume as per D9016 this will be corrected to run just above the window gutter and then straight along the bodyside?

 

 

Higher BR crests on D9002 today

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:D9002_at_National_Railway_Museum,_York_(28184251402).jpg

 

Lower BR crests on 55002 in 1980s

https://www.flickriver.com/photos/[email protected]/32417658831/

 

Hi @G-BOAF

 

Thanks for your feedback on this, I have answered them below:

 

1, Thanks, do you have any clear pictures to denote the black tanks?

2. Thanks for that, we will look to amend.

3. Ah now, it's like you don't know us at all! We would not release a paint finish like that to customers. As we said, hastily finished samples for approval. 

4. Correct.

 

The light grey cabs  of the early 80s condition on 55002 has also been noted @Crepello, many thanks.

 

Appreciate the feedback as always everyone.

 

Cheers!

 

Fran

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

 

Hi @G-BOAF

 

Thanks for your feedback on this, I have answered them below:

 

1, Thanks, do you have any clear pictures to denote the black tanks?

2. Thanks for that, we will look to amend.

3. Ah now, it's like you don't know us at all! We would not release a paint finish like that to customers. As we said, hastily finished samples for approval. 

4. Correct.

 

The light grey cabs  of the early 80s condition on 55002 has also been noted @Crepello, many thanks.

 

Appreciate the feedback as always everyone.

 

Cheers!

 

Fran

 

Sorry, I repent re the black tanks

Green Tanks on 55002, certainly in the early 1980s. Hard to tell with oil and dirt later on.

Very much green

1982-09-11 55002 Upperby

 

Here they look black

British Rail class 55 Deltic diesel locomotive 55002 'The King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry' NRM, York. 1994

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Can the tyres be made any thicker? They just look a tad below scrappage size on the white-walled versions, which is not so noticeable on the non painted ones?

 

Other than that they look wonderful to me and I will be having four. Five when you do D9000 in its 1996 version!

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ajax50046 said:

Can the tyres be made any thicker? They just look a tad below scrappage size on the white-walled versions, which is not so noticeable on the non painted ones?

 

 

I expect that if they were thickened, with cornflour or other techniques, then the steroidal result would potentially foul the bodysides on curved and canted or uneven track.

  • Funny 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, PeteB said:

I'm about to place my order, but I have a question about the DPS/Rails/Locomotion ones.

 

I'd like to support the DPS - they do a great job restoring the Deltics and endeavouring to keep them on the main line.

 

Will DPS get a cut from every one of those exclusive DPS/Rails/Locomotion Deltics sold, or only the ones bought from the DPS online shop?

 

The reason I ask is that I am in a bit of a quandary as to who to order it from. Whilst DPS are doing important work on Deltic preservation, I don't have so much confidence in their sales operation.  I ordered a custom weathered Bachmann Tulyar from them many years ago, and it never came despite lots of chasing and promises. So in terms of knowing I will get it, I would prefer to order from a slick operation like Rails.  But it would be good to know if some benefit still went to the good work of DPS for that limited edition. 

 

Does anyone know how the benefit from the exclusive editions is allocated?

 

Since we are supporting important charitable organisations here, I don't think there is any reason why this information should not be open and transparent.

 

Pete

 

 

Like you I want to support the DPS but having managed to find the models on their website (not as easy as it could have been) I lost confidence in making my order through it so opted to use Rails instead.  Its a bit of a leap of faith when you are buying a high value item that has yet to be produced so felt more secure with Rails due to their extensive experience in this area. Rails are marketing the DPS models as DPS models so I assume their is a contractual relationship all parties are happy with.  

 

To be fair I did recently buy the latest Strathwood Deltic book from the DPS and that arrived safely.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PeteB said:

I'm about to place my order, but I have a question about the DPS/Rails/Locomotion ones.

 

I'd like to support the DPS - they do a great job restoring the Deltics and endeavouring to keep them on the main line.

 

Will DPS get a cut from every one of those exclusive DPS/Rails/Locomotion Deltics sold, or only the ones bought from the DPS online shop?

 

The reason I ask is that I am in a bit of a quandary as to who to order it from. Whilst DPS are doing important work on Deltic preservation, I don't have so much confidence in their sales operation.  I ordered a custom weathered Bachmann Tulyar from them many years ago, and it never came despite lots of chasing and promises. So in terms of knowing I will get it, I would prefer to order from a slick operation like Rails.  But it would be good to know if some benefit still went to the good work of DPS for that limited edition. 

 

Does anyone know how the benefit from the exclusive editions is allocated?

 

Since we are supporting important charitable organisations here, I don't think there is any reason why this information should not be open and transparent.

 

Pete

 

 

 

One of the reasons the DPS / NRM / Rails partnership developed was to allow the DPS and NRM to obtain deltic models without having to take full MOQs. As with all produced models there is a minimum order quantity to produce each variant. The MOQ on the Deltics was more than the DPS / NRM were wanting to commit to, so by partnering up it allowed the models to go ahead, with Rails picking up additional stock required to make the products viable. We like you wish to support both the DPS and NRM whenever possible.

 

We like you wish to fully support both the DPS and NRM whenever possible, with this in mind and with all DPS profits from their sales going to the DPS, I would recommend you order through the DPS to fully support them, likewise support the NRM by ordering through the locomotion website. 

All parties have a real strong order book, and I imagine that these will soon sell out after release, if not before.

 

Thanks

Oliver

 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

 

Hi @G-BOAF

 

Thanks for your feedback on this, I have answered them below:

 

1, Thanks, do you have any clear pictures to denote the black tanks?

2. Thanks for that, we will look to amend.

3. Ah now, it's like you don't know us at all! We would not release a paint finish like that to customers. As we said, hastily finished samples for approval. 

4. Correct.

 

The light grey cabs  of the early 80s condition on 55002 has also been noted @Crepello, many thanks.

 

Appreciate the feedback as always everyone.

 

Cheers!

 

Fran

Fran, further to on the BR crest on D9002 (present day).

It seems like the crest is higher up, but the number is in the same (standard) position, therefore the crest is nearer the number than on 55002 (and also your 1960s livery models).

 

Based on this picture (below), it seems the NRM's 2016 repaint was a faithful reproduction of the loco in its 1960s guise, as the crest was also just below the number.

Deltic D9002 "King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry" brings the up Flying Scotsman into Kings Cross, probably 1965. Where's that man's HV vest?

 

Unlike most other deltics, where the positioning is as your sample of 55002 and D9013 etc.

 

Hope this further clarifies.

 

I'm impressed by the amount of reserach that not only goes into producing models, but goes into restoring liveries on individual locomotives.

 

Hope it is possible and feasible for you to tweak the printing setup for this model!

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Theres also a question about the buffer shanks ive seen pictures of 55002 with black rather than red buffer shanks in 1980, here http://www.napier-chronicles.co.uk/2_12-12-80.htm

I dont know when they turned red, but by sept 81 they had been repainted.

 

Quite:

It didn't just apply to the d*lt*cs, various painted embellishments only lasted a short time in some cases.

 

Whatever AS (and other manufacturers ) do, they'll never please everybody as they haven't represented a particular prototype at 0930 on the 4th of March 1975 on the Little Sodding and Greater Nowhere Branch lIne tour with driver Jones' billycan having the correct arrangement of dents and dints in it.

 

Many years ago, I had painted up and renumbered [*]

a 47 in as reasonably up to date condition as I could, when a punter remarked that it was wrong - it had had the headcode panels repainted the week previously!

[*] For some readers, painting and renumbering was a way of making locos different.............................

 

 

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 3
  • Funny 8
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...