Hornby - New tooling - 59' Bulleid 'Short' coaches

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

The announced 64ft Brake composite by Bachman is the version that were paired with a Brake third to make the two coach R sets these differed slightly to the ‘loose’ versions used on the multi portion West of England services.

• RMweb Premium

I'm presuming Era 4 = suitable for Era 5 as well?

I'm glad these have been done. It saves me from having to build the Phoenix kits I have, which I only ever managed to get one close to completion, and the amount of fettling I had to do makes me shiver even now, several years later...

• Like 1

What tooling?  All that is shown is a 3D print from the CAD.

You're right, I meant the 3D print/EP, they may well have just dumped it on any old chassis too for all I know. 

What I was trying to get across is that the release date says April, there might be delays, they might have to make detail changes, and the date might get pushed back, but there is something in existence to show that maybe they will be here by the projected release date. 

Better than a smack in the face with a shovel, wouldn't you agree?

Edited by Jack P

The coaches were organized into 3-coach sets: brake third + composite + brake third. Hornby are producing 4 sets - 2 in SR livery, and 2 sets in BR livery, all with different running numbers.

Does anyone have the Hornby part number SR/BR set number information.

This announcement has come as a a much welcome blessing (along with the diagram 1543 van) as I model the summer of 1947 SR at Padstow and the Bachmann 64' coaches would not really be correct.  The only thing missing from my (unpublished) wish list is an early full cab West Country.

Edited by autocoach

Quite right. But all some of us care about is product release date, not semantics. April sounds good to me.

Maybe Hornby will surprise us with an update in the Engine Shed, or just wait until release.  But my point, such as it was, is that April is awfully close for a model that *may* only be at the 3D print stage particularly given China soon shuts down for 3 weeks, though I do hope that Hornby can deliver to their schedule.

For comparison Accurascale just posted to their Facebook page pictures of their Cemflo wagons in production at their factory in China - and they are due in April as well.

See Post #15 of this thread.

Per earlier Post:

Southern                                               Hornby    

Set       Compo   Brake 1    Brake 2      Compo      Brake 1      Brake 2              

S965    5711       2845        2846           R4882        R4884       R4884A              

S973    5719       2861        2862          R4882A      R4884B     R4884C

I will let a BR era modeler do their thing....

Edited by autocoach

Maybe Hornby will surprise us with an update in the Engine Shed, or just wait until release.  But my point, such as it was, is that April is awfully close for a model that *may* only be at the 3D print stage particularly given China soon shuts down for 3 weeks, though I do hope that Hornby can deliver to their schedule.

For comparison Accurascale just posted to their Facebook page pictures of their Cemflo wagons in production at their factory in China - and they are due in April as well.

Worth considering that Andy took the photos about a month ago.

Jason

• Like 1

The 3D print sample certainly suggests the former layout (twin batteries per side).

attachicon.gifpost-1-0-77279400-1545641091_thumb.jpg

Although, the CGI profiles hint at single batteries, diagonally opposed.

attachicon.gifpost-1-0-70047600-1545641328.jpg

Note also the different detailed sides for the two different eras. The latter having recessed door top-lights, differing commode handles and reinforcing beading over body panel joints.

If reproduced onto the models, it will be an astonishing attention to detail. Well done Hornby.

I'm not convinced by your 'hint' of single batteries : each should be larger than half the early-style battery so the RH support for the near one shouldn't be central .......... but I hope you're right !

........... and I hope they find some NO SMOKING stickers for the appropriate windows. 

I’m glad the cat is out of the bag now having been discussing these 59ft versions with H and the very different 64ft versions already announced bt the blue boxers for a few years.

Which just leaves the four sets of side-door Bulleids on the long underframe !!?! ......................... perhaps we can leave these to the 'kitbashers' !

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Which just leaves the four sets of side-door Bulleids on the long underframe !!?! ......................... perhaps we can leave these to the 'kitbashers' !

Bachmann aren't doing all the longer length Bulleids besides the ones you mention by any means.

For one thing, the BCK is the 2-set version, and they aren't doing the loose-stock type that has the toilets in completely different places (and which are needed in multiple if one wishes to run an Atlantic Coast Express), or the BRCW ones, or any of the catering vehicles etc. etc.

John

• Like 1

Bachmann aren't doing all the longer length Bulleids besides the ones you mention by any means.

For one thing, the BCK is the 2-set version, and they aren't doing the loose-stock type that has the toilets in completely different places (and which are needed in multiple if one wishes to run an Atlantic Coast Express), or the BRCW ones, or any of the catering vehicles etc. etc.

John

Yes, you certainly need multiple toilets for a journey of that length ...................................... OK, indeed there are a number of other Bulleid coach options to keep the kitbashers busy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Southern Malachite sets were repainted by BR?

(I guess debranding took place in 48/49).

Rgds

I suspect they would have been repainted in crimson and cream first before getting BR green, as in this example here from 1956

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Bulleid-original-MNs/i-tQqtJgr/A

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Does anyone know when the Southern Malachite sets were repainted by BR?

(I guess debranding took place in 48/49).

Rgds

See here for details https://grahammuz.com/2019/01/07/Hornby-announce-2019-range-including-brand-new-bulleid-59ft-coaches-and-ex-lswr-diagram-1543-20-24t-brake-van/

I am glad that Hornby are doing these coaches (or more accurately the Club I belong to will glad - as they are modelling Yeovil Junction roughly 1945 - 1965).  Now if only Farish would do these in N - I already have some of the nice "later build" ones - and some "multi door" stock would give me some variety.

• Like 1

The announced 64ft Brake composite by Bachman is the version that were paired with a Brake third to make the two coach R sets these differed slightly to the ‘loose’ versions used on the multi portion West of England services.

Graham,

I am interested in putting together an ACE West of England service, do you know what diagram was used for the 'loose' coaches?

I was hoping the new Bachmann BCK's would be suitable.

Thanks in advance, 

Cheers Geoff

Graham,

I am interested in putting together an ACE West of England service, do you know what diagram was used for the 'loose' coaches?

Thanks in advance, 

Cheers Geoff

The loose brake composites were built to diagram 2406. Some of these vehicles survived until September 1968 in BR maroon.

The brake composites which ran with semi open brake thirds for the West of England route were built to diagram 2405. These sets stayed together until the end of steam working on the Waterloo - Exeter route in 1964.

Regards

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Graham,

Thanks in advance, 

Cheers Geoff

The loose brake composites were to diagram 2406 rather than 2405 as used in the 2 coach R Sets (as being produced by Bachmann). The interior was different on the loose coaches with the toilet located in the middle of the coach rather than the end.

edit just to say my post crossed with Tavy Man's above

Edited by Graham_Muz
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I suspect they would have been repainted in crimson and cream first before getting BR green, as in this example here from 1956

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/Bulleid-original-MNs/i-tQqtJgr/A

C/C would be my preference. I find green coaches running through green countryside rather boring aesthetically. Hopefully they will arrive sometime.

The loose brake composites were built to diagram 2406. Some of these vehicles survived until September 1968 in BR maroon.

The brake composites which ran with semi open brake thirds for the West of England route were built to diagram 2405. These sets stayed together until the end of steam working on the Waterloo - Exeter route in 1964.

Regards

It would certainly be sensible for someone to commission maroon Bulleids from Bachmann. They were used on the ECML and in Scotland.

C/C would be my preference. I find green coaches running through green countryside rather boring aesthetically. Hopefully they will arrive sometime.

It would certainly be sensible for someone to commission maroon Bulleids from Bachmann. They were used on the ECML and in Scotland.

I don't think Bachmann are doing either of the diagrams that carried maroon.