Hornby 2019 announcements

Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Thanks. Does the catalogue have any more detail than the website on specifications of models?

Not really . It is a very impressive catalogue . Similar layout to previous years, which I’m a bit disappointed in . I think it could really do with a revamp. I like the old styles from 70s showing big layouts etc. However that said it is impressive . The 2019 range joins the existing items available now . Together it’s a huge range. Again as a sign that the 2019 range is well advanced there are actually pictures of the locos in the catalogue instead of the usual black and white pics, so good pics of the Peckett , Diesel Shunter and Terrier . It has details of the motor which in most cases is 5 pole skew wound except the above mentioned models . There is a description/historical detail of the real locomotives but in terms of model, you’ll probably have more data on here.

But it’s certainly well worth £8.99. A very bulky volume . I collect them , so it was a must buy . Looks good though and plenty to refer too . I’ve already looked at it more than I did last years edition which was very bland . And there is that reference to next year on the back page. Apparently it’s Hornbys 100 year anniversary in 2020

• Like 1

Tony, no there are no additional technical details, but there is quite comprehensive prototype information for all of the newly tooled locomotives. It’s a well set out and nicely illustrated catalogue that makes a good read.

Sorry I can add no further details on the ‘wubber’!

Again as a sign that the 2019 range is well advanced there are actually pictures of the locos in the catalogue instead of the usual black and white pics, so good pics of the Peckett , Diesel Shunter and Terrier .

Are they any different to those on here and the Hornby web site though? That is the big turn off as far as I am concerned as the catalogue simply prints the images freely available on the web.

Not really . It is a very impressive catalogue . Similar layout to previous years, which I’m a bit disappointed in . I think it could really do with a revamp. I like the old styles from 70s showing big layouts etc. 

The oldest catalogue I have is the 1980 catalogue, which doesn't just have a big layout, it shows how to build it - using (mostly) Hornby components, of course!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Are they any different to those on here and the Hornby web site though? That is the big turn off as far as I am concerned as the catalogue simply prints the images freely available on the web.

No much the same

Update on the track rubber. Inside info is that this one is a mustard colour, unlike the previous grey one . Further digging and the passing of a brown envelope, it is also made of ‘real’ rubber. Pre-orders being taken, limited to as many as you like. PayPal, Credit/Debit cards. Sorry no cheques. Had too many bounce, bit like the new rubber.

For those of a certain age, not suitable as a rubber, that’s a totally different thing.

Update on the track rubber. Inside info is that this one is a mustard colour, unlike the previous grey one . Further digging and the passing of a brown envelope, it is also made of ‘real’ rubber. Pre-orders being taken, limited to as many as you like. PayPal, Credit/Debit cards. Sorry no cheques. Had too many bounce, bit like the new rubber.

For those of a certain age, not suitable as a rubber, that’s a totally different thing.

Next year they will have them in 15 railway liveries covering all eras plus Warner Brother license items with Harry Potter, Wonder Woman and Coyote (Scalextrix range). And finally the reserved President limited edition complete with slogan "Make your layout great again with a Donald Trump rubber". Edited by JSpencer

Next year they will have them in 15 railway liveries covering all eras plus Warner Brother license items with Harry Potter, Wonder Woman and Coyote (Scalextrix range). And finally the reserved President limited edition complete with slogan "Make your layout great again with a Donald Trump rubber".

I've still got a rubber from 1977 with Star Wars - May The Force Be With You on it.  :sungum:

No idea if it's any good at cleaning track though.

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I tend not to pay too much attention to new announcement froth but some really interesting things here - the sliding door mk3s are a surprise but an obvious one really.  The little Rustons are very nice too, as with the Sentinels and Pecketts, I'd be very tempted by one or two even though they are of no use layout-wise! 

Bit of a surprise that the GWR HST train set seems to use the old Hornby HST power cars rather than the better ex-Lima tools though.

Bit of a surprise that the GWR HST train set seems to use the old Hornby HST power cars rather than the better ex-Lima tools though.

There's no guarantee...it's just artwork. The BR Blue HST train pack shows the ex-Lima HST. And no one even knows if the older Lima HST tooling exists. Who is to say that the tooling was sold for scrap?

• RMweb Gold

As pleased as most of us are with the items announced for production (and in the short term at that), I wonder what it was that Andy Y thought was so "eye-opening" in his original "Dawn at Margate" post.

What we are not seeing here is any sign that Hornby has "got it", i.e. they know what has been going wrong in recent years. Still no coherent overall marketing strategy of Railroad vs Premium models. Still not addressing major QC issues http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/141181-i-have-truly-had-it-with-Hornby/. Still marketing direct rather than supporting their dealer network......

• RMweb Gold

There is also the Elepant in the room as Oxford must be getting ready for some sort of announcement, possibly at the Toy Fair on the 22nd?

Rumour has it , they have already advanced thru CAD to EP stage for their own track rubber. Lets hope they get the colour right, as that will define which of the two products will win this war vs Hornby. OR's track record on getting colours accurate isn't great though, so lets wait and see.

• RMweb Gold

Hi all - not professional quality, but a few selected items from the Hornby previews yesterday. A good day wandering the former Margate factory, and the new showroom. 

If you'd like to see the full album of images I took yesterday (including more 66 photos, and most of the other new toolings), click here.

45772034885_70689c2e37_c.jpg

Army R&H by Derails Models, on Flickr

45772035745_b6748d7971_c.jpg

R&H JDC by Derails Models, on Flickr

32811840898_53c766cee1_c.jpg

R3695 Side by Derails Models, on Flickr

46686902841_f7dcf50de0_c.jpg

51xx Rear by Derails Models, on Flickr

32811843568_f100b7454f_c.jpg

Princess Coronation by Derails Models, on Flickr

46686903041_02c60738bd_c.jpg

R3786 by Derails Models, on Flickr

39721981583_0801a54407_c.jpg

LSWR Brake Van by Derails Models, on Flickr

46686902791_570b32faf2_c.jpg

Collett Coaches by Derails Models, on Flickr

Edited by Derails Models
  • Like 9

Well, apart from items from the 2018 catalogue that were pre-ordered and haven't arrived yet, 2019 looks like a "less expensive" year!

The "works green" R&H is a definite, as is one of the Peckett B2s, though its a toss-up between "Westminster" and the NCB!  A handful of coaches will round off the buying spree.  It only remains to be seen if the quoted arrival dates for these are realistic.

The B2s are very good value, especially when compared with the Austerity released last year in the main range, which arrived sans the initially promised DCC ready feature, has a relatively unsophisticated mechanism and a rather lower level of detail.  For £24 more (at Hornby rec price) the Large Peckett is much more desirable!

Pleased to see the pictures of the new models. Duchess of Montrose looks ready to come out.

It will now be a few days before I can look through the Hornby Catalogue and the February Hornby Magazine. After reading the Hornby Magazine offer at https://hornbymagazine.keypublishing.com/20/9/01/07/exclusive-Hornby-catalogue-offer/ I went down to W H Smith at Swanage yesterday who were charging £12.59 for the two so I ordered them from Key for £9.99. Then I found out that the offer starts today so I could have got them from Swanage today if W H Smith are honouring the offer. 11% seemed a big difference but a £2.60 difference is only a small amount and it was not worth all the hassle of ordering on line.

Edited by Robin Brasher

Not sure if it's already been mentioned but the return of the 01 2-8-0 is good (didn't get one first time round)  and the L&Y pug as well.  Also, there is a 2-HIL EMU which seems to be one 2-Hal coach and one 2-BIL coach.

An interesting selection.

Yes. It was two cobbled together to make a set as they were bomb or collision damaged. I think there was three or four of them.

Jason

The Hornby website states it is DCC ready with a 5 pole skew wound motor. To me it would seem very strange and a waste of money to update the old Hornby model when they've already updated the Lima tooling with a 5 pole motor and DCC.

Not only was the Lima model much better looking than the Hornby one but importantly it doesn't have the guards window, therefore better representing the current GWR class 43. I suspect Hornby have used the Hornby model for the image but will produce the Limby model in the end.

Does anyone know if the Northern Belle train pack R3697 will contain the newer Mk2E/F coaches or the ancient and crude Mk2D coaches? Various retailers (Hattons, Colletts, etc) are advertising them as Mk2F coaches. Hornby don't seem to mention what coaches come in the pack, though their picture shows the old style Mk2D.

The seperate Northern Belle coach pack, R4898, is listed as Mk2D coaches yet the picture shows them with updated underframe, bogies etc. This time Kernow are advertising them as Mk2E. 

This confusion will lead people, including myself, to hold off buying these items.

I would really like to buy both sets, but not if it comes with thoes awful ex airfix/ Dapol Mk2D coaches. The windows really do look bad. As Hornby have already produced the Mk2E coach in the railroad range and are developing the Mk2F it would make sense to use an updated version for these packs, and scrap the old Mk2D tooling altogether.

If they are goling to give us a J36 in ROD livery (hopefully corrected from the image in the catalogue) can they not do one for their existing (excellent) J15?  These locos were in France far longer than the J36s and there are plenty of wartime photos of them.  Here is my attempt.

8rqkkEk.jpg

Edited by 1ngram
  • Like 6

Does anyone know if the Northern Belle train pack R3697 will contain the newer Mk2E/F coaches or the ancient and crude Mk2D coaches? Various retailers (Hattons, Colletts, etc) are advertising them as Mk2F coaches. Hornby don't seem to mention what coaches come in the pack, though their picture shows the old style Mk2D.

The seperate Northern Belle coach pack, R4898, is listed as Mk2D coaches yet the picture shows them with updated underframe, bogies etc. This time Kernow are advertising them as Mk2E. 

This confusion will lead people, including myself, to hold off buying these items.

I would really like to buy both sets, but not if it comes with thoes awful ex airfix/ Dapol Mk2D coaches. The windows really do look bad. As Hornby have already produced the Mk2E coach in the railroad range and are developing the Mk2F it would make sense to use an updated version for these packs, and scrap the old Mk2D tooling altogether.

Yeah we've gone thru this already in this thread but no definitive answer is forthcoming as yet, I am also holding off buying the Belmond Pullman Pack until I know for sure the coaches are non-Railroad as it seems awfully cheap if all the items are full fat.

Edited by classy52