Forum malware attack - 29 Dec 2018

• RMweb Gold

Can only echo whats already been said Andy - many thanks for your efforts and getting things back so quickly.Hope you can have some peace the rest of this weekend.

As several others have mentioned the hiatus on here has meant some modelling has been done - twistlocks installed on 6 out of 10 Bacchy freighliners for starters. MSE signals are still at the bottom of the pile though....

Phil

If RMweb has to go offline again I'll send you mine as well Phil, I've done one so far, twenty four to go!

Well done on getting us back up and running so quickly Andy, hope you can have a day off for New Year.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth

andy

thanks for all your hard working getting things sorted. but just to let you know i still get a message from norton it has blocked a attack every time i click on a page.

Some Norton users have said the same on NGF but that seems to relate to an issue from 6 days ago. That's Norton.

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for the quick work to Andy and all others whose break was interrupted.

A certain Mr Putin may disagree and is already checking to see if you've a Cathedral near you......

And if Vlad's boys and girls are reading this thread, I suggest you just put 53.098352, -0.178098 in your satnav and then ask for directions when you get there.

Some Norton users have said the same on NGF but that seems to relate to an issue from 6 days ago. That's Norton.

Hi Andy,

Are you sure this wasn't a 'warning shot' across the bows of the good ship RMWeb, from the Margate Mafia? Kind of what you can expect to happen if their embargo gets broken, LoL's...

In all seriousness, Thank you for sorting this so speedily,  I too had to converse with the missus in the absence of my favourite forum.....

Kindest Regards,

Shed.

• Like 3

Andy,

Many thanks for your hard work in sorting this out so quickly.

Do you get a day off in lieu now? (joke)

David

...or a day off in the loo after having to sort out all the Eartha Kitt caused by this attack.

Echo everyone else's thanks for the hard work.  Bizarre that RMWeb even got on the Ukrainian hackersphere. 

• Like 2

I got the fake Microsoft critical alert page and the log-in box, cannot close either and neither Avast, which I'd already got installed, and Malwarebytes, which I've installed since, can shift either.

Suggestions, anyone?

Use Ctrl+Alt+Del to launch the task manager and close the browser via the panel.

I'm mystified how you've managed to post if your problem has sat there for 24+ hours unless you've got multiple device and left the problem on screen since lunchtime yesterday.

It will allow me to open a new window, which is what I'm using to post.  Yesterday the synthesized voice-over that comes with the alert stopped when I opened the new window.  Today I've had to mute it, so I suppose it must still be evolving.

As an aside, I got exactly the same critical alert four or five days ago (from the Criccieth webcam website) but closed that without difficulty.  I guess it must be a more refined version that was inflicted on RMweb.

Now off to ctrl-alt-delete.

• Like 1

Apparently, any future incursions by hackers will automatically default to the PECO Bullhead points thread.

That should bu@@er Ivan Twistyerknackersov up.......

Rob.

And I thought FSB stood for Federal'naya sluzhba bezopasnosti (thanks, Wikipedia and copy/paste).

Russian intelligence will be taken by surprise when they discover it means Fine Scale Bullhead.

• RMweb Gold

What could be happening is your browser is trying to recover  a session to a point where it thinks it's failed and this includes the spoofing page and pop-up.

There's usually a way to force start a completely fresh instance of a browser.

Cleaning up the cache, history and cookies is advisable.

Mark

Edited by 2mmMark

• RMweb Premium

And another vote of thanks from Blackpool! Certainly brightened up the day a bit being able to get on the site again. I had no ill effects here as I only logged on after the attack was well documented and didn't try again until later this morning.

Thanks again

Cheers

Ian

• Like 2

Another thanks to Andy for sorting this out, especially on the weekend / Christmas Holidays. The office never closes for some people.

For anyone who missed out on the fun, I took a snapshot of my screen before pulling the Ethernet cable (yeah, I know, damage probably already done if it was a good/serious attack, but it couldn't hurt) and giving the laptop the three-finger salute (Ctrl-Alt-Del).

It was nice of them to give me a freephone 0800 number, really helpful touch.

post-31758-0-47943600-1546210025_thumb.jpg

Edited by Damo666

The internationally famous Lincoln Cathedral, with a 160m spire according to wikipedia.

Not since 1548.....  (The record then passed to Old St Paul's, which then lost it's own spire in 1562) . Salisbury is a relative pigmy .

Lincolnshire also possesses the tallest parish church spire in Britain (just under 300' - quoted heights vary) and the tallest parish church tower

So how do we apply for compensation?

That's how things work these days isn't it?

The site was down for less than a day - add in other temporary outages so I'd say it's been out maybe for 1 day this year in total.

Compensation of 0.3% of your RMWEB annual membership fee sounds reasonable.

Edited by sharris