Class 92, By Accurascale

Never, but Accurascale, pending hard evidence to show you, attempted to give you a more general answer (which may help inform other potential customers as well). You were unsatisfied with that answer, a couple of us pointed out you can wait and see exactly what they will be offering vs the rival offering and decide then on the strength of the evidence.

You have to give some kudos to the quality of Accurascale's detailed work on their wagons to date to give you some perception of the level of detail they will offer on their locos surely?

Until the release of their first UK outline wagon had there ever been an RTR OO gauge wagon with so many detailed individual parts?

They have kept the standard up with each subsequent wagon and they have also been quick and proactive in making necessary change to prototypes, livery samples etc to improve the final quality of the finished product.

It seems like you are trying to corner them into saying something right now, that's all....

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Bedlington North said:

You have to give some kudos to the quality of Accurascale's detailed work on their wagons to date to give you some perception of the level of detail they will offer on their locos surely?

Absolutely.  I am not doubting Accurascale's ability to deliver a quality model - I saw the samples for the PCA wagons at Warley and very fine they looked too.  I have since ordered a rake (or two) for myself, so I have no doubts in that respect at all.

1 hour ago, Bedlington North said:

It seems like you are trying to corner them into saying something right now....

Perhaps I am.  And okay, call me old-fashioned, but personally I don't see that expecting a manufacturer to know the specification of his/her forthcoming product to be all that unreasonable.  But okay, let's assume that it is perhaps too early to know the complete spec, then a simple, "Sorry, it's too early, we don't know yet", would have been more direct instead of what I interpreted to be a complete around-the-houses sales pitch, which to me if anything is a bit of a 'red rag to a bull', as they say, so if nothing else left me feeling a tad 'fobbed-off'.   I guess that's just the way I am wired, but hey!  That's all I'm saying really to be fair.

Edited by YesTor

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Firstly, there is no problem at all asking questions about our current or future models we have announced, in fact we welcome these questions and will always do our best to answer them where we can. It’s not just about delivery of a sales pitch, though I can understand how cynicism can creep in having seen the carry on of some other manufacturers in recent times. This cynicism is part of our motivation to interact with modellers on RMWeb and to get involved in the British market in the first place, as we had enough of the carry on too. We like to be transparent and up front and that’s all Stephen was doing with the enthusiasm we carry as at the end of the day; we’re modellers too and we’re very excited at what we are doing.

Now Al, to answer your queries as best I can. I will not speak about any other companies Class 92s in the interest of respect. All I can do is comment about our own one. Our 92 will be dripping with detail in the roof area (as well as elsewhere), we were rather lucky in this age of H&S gain access to the roof and faithfully measure, document and survey the all roof elements  and pantographs. We have surveyed two locos for completeness and have almost 1,000 photographs from these surveys. We have worked with the likes of Brush and GBRf. What’s more, we will be using a combination of lots of etched and separate parts to detail the roof as it is a critical area. We are currently adding finesse to the CAD work in this area (the final bit to be completed) and will gladly show it to the world when it is fully finished within the next two weeks so then you will be able to make your mind up how you feel about it, but we are about pushing this hobby forward, we simply aren’t putting our name to something half baked. It’s just not our style. You can check out our Deltic update from earlier this week to see the level we work towards. Our new cemflo s have over 100 parts per wagon, to do the roof of the 92 as a one piece lump just is not our style.

At the end of the day, you have a choice, and as a consumer that is the perfect world. Just remember that Accurascale is not a crowdfunder (not directed at anyone in particular, just some guys seem to think we are) and this 92 will happen, no matter what. You can place an order with a deposit with us, but if you change your mind further down the line, that’s okay too, we will happily refund. We will have stock too so you can always wait if you prefer. 

Oh and yes, we are looking at turned brass for the horns. 

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Fran

Edited by 071
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

On 11/02/2019 at 16:14, The Black Hat said:

While this does look excellent I do feel for another company that had identified this as a model that would be viable and had started down the road of producing one. I'm sure this will be an excellent model, but also think that some main companies need to brace themselves. A class 37 and 47 is sure to follow...

I sure hope a 37 is to folllow ! Seeing as how nobody has yet managed to get one anywhere near right !

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

As much as I really want one, I’m going to pass on the Class 92 (though I’ve ordered a Class 55) as it doesn’t fit my modelling location of the present day joint line between Peterborough and Lincoln.  I really do hope you follow these two loco’s with a equally detailed Class 37 or 47 with different variants, or even how about a HST with the different styles of buffet and restaurant cars, illuminating door indicator lights (if fitted) and other numerous details.

l know that a HST would be a “devil in the detailing” nightmare but if anyone could do it, I’m pretty sure it would be you guys.

• Agree 1

I’m going to grab the off-topic ball and run with it. (Perhaps when we get back OT, everyone will be a little calmer.*) I have two Deltics; one Lima and one Bachmann. The Lima has been fettled a little and the Bachmann is reasonable. Nevertheless, I intend to get an Accurascale Deltic. I have a 92; the Hornby Stobart one mentioned above as it happens. It is awful. I was delighted to see Accurascale taking it on. The track record of the manufacturer of the rival product made me give that one a miss. I am more likely to go for multiples of the 92 than the 55.

The point is, just how big is the market for a superb new 37, 47 or HST when there are models available which are not awful?†

In this regard, the sales of Hatton’s 66 and Hornby’s Lord Nelson will be instructive. For my own part, I am looking forward to Dapol’s 59 with more eagerness. A historically important class if ever there was one and only a very old model available. What is there left to bag which has appeal? A 90 is on the way and an 88 is contemplated. Are oddballs viable? Kernow seems to have got it right as the Bulleid diesels and A-1-A Warships seem to be vanishing quickly. On the other hand, the DJ 74 was cancelled due to lack of orders.

What about the early AC electrics? Appetite for AC electrics is growing, fed by new 85s, 86s, 87s, 90s and, er, um, oh yes! 92s. Just how well these would sell is still conjectural.

Then, of course, there is steam. Whilst there are new builds, there have been no new designs since the BR Standards. For all that, the well of steam classes is practically inexhaustible.

* I think metal horns are desirable. The plastic ones on my Hornby 60 have suffered.

† In my view. I realise that other views are adhered to with passion.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, oleander said:

quick qestion . In the discription of the class 92 it says works pantograph. Does that mean a little motor raising and lowering them ? or  does it mean you can run power throught them ?

john

Hi John,

It means raising and lowering, not power through them.

Cheers,

Fran

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 071 said:

Hi John,

It means raising and lowering, not power through them.

Cheers,

Fran

I do hope it won't have an unrealistic second lower arm, it completely spoils the look of what is otherwise a very accurate pantograph.

Even if it does, I hope it's going to be designed such that it can be disconnected easily (for those like me who want an accurate representation of a BW-HS pantograph).

Cheers!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

For those who might be interested. today's Dolland's Moor- Ebange working was worked by a GBRf example, heading a DB red example. The pair worked back, still coupled together, an hour or so later. Does this mean DBC don't have enough serviceable examples?

The same pair worked through again this morning.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/03/2019 at 17:55, Fat Controller said:

For those who might be interested. today's Dolland's Moor- Ebange working was worked by a GBRf example, heading a DB red example. The pair worked back, still coupled together, an hour or so later. Does this mean DBC don't have enough serviceable examples?

I thought the DBC ones had lost their Network Rail certification (sure it's not called that!), so they can't go beyond Dolland's Moor/HS1.

That roof detail looks superb, and the pantograph looks very promising. Tempted as a display model...

Edited by njee20
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1