RMweb Gold - a new premium membership

I think I'll take it easy with the GOLD standard and read up on any reports made here to see what people are enjoying.

At this time I don't think there is anything on offer that temps me in.

I don't need any more new things to learn as I'm still not fully up to speed with the new server software on here yet.

Good luck

Best

• Agree 5

Haven't figured any advantage to Gold membership as I live very far far far to the west of the Isles of Scilly. I do subscribe to Digital BRM and use the Android BRM app as well as the PocketMags app for Windows Chrome viewing on a large format monitor.  Will stay with baser metal status for the time being.

I wouldn't use your classifieds to rid myself of unwanted UK outline. I have an adequate blog site service for extended exposition with lots of space for media. Any that applies to UK specific modeling will be linked in a message on my usual RMWeb layout topic. 

So if can you give me a good reason to fork out about 50 GBP a year over and above my BRM Electronic subscription. I haven't seen one yet in this tread.

best

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, deepfat said:

Puzzled I need to phone you to buy this - no paypal etc. etc.? but I am interested, as it's friendly in here, and you guys do have to pay the rent.

An online option seems to be on the way, I'll sign up when it's up and running:

On 02/04/2019 at 13:38, SteveCole said:

Yes, it sounds very backwards but the ability to become a member via an online service will be up-and-running in the next few weeks. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, autocoach said:

So if can you give me a good reason to fork out about 50 GBP a year over and above my BRM Electronic subscription. I haven't seen one yet in this tread.

I too won’t be “going gold” for some of the same reasons as you. 

But it would be unfair to include  “over and above my current digital subscription” as a reason. 

The Gold Club includes a full annual digital subscription, so it is surely expected that would replace your existing, not duplicate it. 

Edited by Kiwi
  • Agree 2

Thanks Stu, very timely.

its an issue for small businesses: I develop intellectual property, eg, designs, using a CAD system.  They’re really my property, but if I cease to pay the subscription, I can’t access them.  This reads over to finance & accounting data, (you can file the printouts, but re-entering in another package might be man-months of work) word and excel documents, etc, even photos “in the cloud”.

if it’s in the cloud, it isn’t yours to control.  Licencing of apps and content is a great business model for Microsoft, Google et al, but caveat emptor!

And “doing the other thing” is becoming more and more difficult - many business packages will only run in a Windows environment, and the likes of Linux might eat up more time than you can afford to spend on background systems, not to mention having to relearn the spreadsheet and word processor packages, loss of email integration, and so on.  

(Bleating noises as of sheep to the slaughter were heard offstage....)

best

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Stubby47 said:

And of course, the same will probably apply to any virtual reality venture entered into by model railway manufacturing companies.  Perceptions of long-term financial stability will therefore be a critical success factor for anything that SK et. al. may go on to develop...

Edited by Chamby
Corrected an error caused by auto-correct... yet again!

• Moderators
9 hours ago, Mattc6911 said:

Andy, not long ago I bought a years subscription to the digital edition, Dont suppose that is transferable to the new Gold membership is it ?   :)

It isn't I'm afraid Matt so it's a case of reviewing your options when it comes to your year end.

• Informative/Useful 1

Looks to me like a straightforward monterisation exercise of a social media service. If RMWeb Gold replaces the digital subscription at no premium then I can't see what is in it for Warners unless additional digital subscribers are recruited.

This would probably happen over time anyway with demographic changes but I suspect this is a ploy to acclerate the process with thee ultimate goal of ending the hard copy magazine.

In time it is inevitable that only subscribers will be allowed to post on the forum except perhaps in a guest area.

For the present such moves will be denied but this is what I would be looking to do if RMWeb is seen as a future revenue stream for Warners.

Either that it load it up with advertising - which of course will be in the digital magazine anyway.

We shall see.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Yes and no. In the case of Gold you have more protection. If Exact Editions were to go bust, then Warners would have an incentive to find an alternative supplier to replace them and simply shift Gold members over. Were BRM to close, the service through Exact Editions would still be running so although there wouldn't be new magazines, you'd still have the library.

On the other hand, if you only buy paper copies and your house burns down or floods, those are gone for good.

There are potential drawbacks to every way of buying anything. The world appears to be heading for subscription services for TV, music and software and in magazine terms, away from paper. More importantly, electronic delivery gives us far more possibilities for the future. For a start, we'd never have offered an entire set of paper back issues if you subscribed!

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Principally for Gold Members although I am looking at options for trade sales, ideal for Smaller Suppliers.

Re- classifieds. As someone who sells their own etches & bits (I only make stuff I want) am I trade/small supplier or a private individual ?  I put them on Ebay at present but have to cover the fees so on here I'll knock them off.

• Moderators
24 minutes ago, RichardS said:

In time it is inevitable that only subscribers will be allowed to post on the forum except perhaps in a guest area.

No. That's the simple answer.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Re- classifieds. As someone who sells their own etches & bits (I only make stuff I want) am I trade/small supplier or a private individual ?  I put them on Ebay at present but have to cover the fees so on here I'll knock them off.

We would have no problem with that at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Commercial software has been run this way for years. Back in the late nineties when I worked for a software house our CAD and Document Management systems were effectively leased. Customers paid an annual licence fee (and extra if they wanted support) so they only ever owned the licence, not the software which effectively remained the property of the supplying company.

I see that Adobe and Autodesk along with Microsoft are going down this route too

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Nothing to do with Gold (although there's been a security patch release applies to the software suite this morning), I have sent a reply to your message to say that another users has reported similar problems with FF which started this morning. I have tested it with FF 66.0 at this end and can't replicate the issue to diagnose further.

Still "interesting". I have received notification of your message both here and by e-mail - but not the message itself.

And still not able to access most features - including normal sign in - via Firefox. I note Phil's comment and, so far as I know, I am up-to-date on Firefox as they send frequent updates.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

they only ever owned the licence, not the software which effectively remained the property of the supplying company.

Virtually all installed software is just this, even back in the days when yer Windows came on a CD.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

but not the message itself.

Hi Joseph,

I've just been trying to help another user out, slightly different symptoms but it started for him this morning too with Firefox. I've got FF 66.0 so I used that with his login details and couldn't replicate the problem so I'm wondering if some people have had a FF update today that's got a problem with cookies from the previous version - it's worth trying to clear any RMweb cookies and temporary internet files from FF and see if that helps.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Virtually all installed software is just this, even back in the days when yer Windows came on a CD.

Agreed, it was just more noticeable back then with us as the licence did time out rather than it being a permanent licence that you get with Windows for instance. Recent changes to the way that say, MS Office, is sold has made it more apparent to the average Joe.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

11 pages of guff........  why all the angst?

It’s a little bit of hand wringing, some mild sarcasm, a lot of playful banter (Oh so tame compared to what goes on in our club) with a few genuine questions mixed in.  

Business as usual, then...

:dance_mini:

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, Phil Parker said:

On the other hand, if you only buy paper copies and your house burns down or floods, those are gone for good.

That did make me smile on a bleak morning in the dales (it's just been hailing).

Much as I am passionate about model railways, and particularly treasure the printed word, including quite a sizable magazine collection, if my house burnt down, I have to confess, losing back issues of BRM would not be among my greatest concerns!   

• Agree 11
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Diverging from the topic a little, but divesting myself of the piles and piles of Model Railway magazines that I had accumulated over the years was a very cathartic experience, I felt like I was storing several kilos of out of date advertising, with some interesting articles, but with no easy search facility so I never wanted to spend the time to find anything, it all just sat in boxes in my tiny flat. Having access to a digital version works so much better for me, I am able to find things much more quickly.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

11 pages of guff.

If you don't pay into the gold membership idea you don't lose anything, why all the angst?

Mike.

(Still waiting for Andy to come and fiddle with my back end!).

Because we live in a society where people want to complain and whinge about anything and everything, often in public nowadays, feeling the entitlement to "have their day." See the recent furore and outrage about vegan sausage rolls as an example...... 

If you don't want a vegan sausage roll, don't buy one. If you don't want RM Web Gold Membership, don't pay!

For the record I am a big fan of Gregg's vegan sausage rolls and can highly recommend them! Of course other brands are available.....

Edited by south_tyne
Rubbish spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 03/04/2019 at 10:39, 4railsman said:

Guess that's why no GOLD MEMBER logo/medallion appears on the posts of Phil Parker, Steve Cole and Andy Y ~ they haven't bought into it.

It's a pyramid scheme, they're the ringleaders at the top but they are trying to hide it. Luckily you've rumbled them.

• Funny 3