The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

For those interested in "Modern Classic" Cars

Hobby

• 3 weeks later...

Posted recently on Sportsmaserati forum, Giorgito Giugiaro's early sketches for the Maserati 3200GT in the late '90s.... note the Jag style rear lights in one of the drawings, an idea rejected by Fiat boss Cantorella in favour of his prefered 'boomerang' shaped items....

718E5DEF-F248-408C-BBBB-3511F2176173.jpeg

20151127_093058.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just had my ZR remapped at CJL in Spalding,  it had been remapped before but was too smokey.

It's now got a two stage one where even in economy mode it's faster than before and no smoke at all stage two when the switch is operated is even faster but a bit of black smoke

150bhp in economy mode and 175 in power.  Will probably only use the latter for overtaking,  I'm so pleased with it and well recommend CJL 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, David Bell said:

Some very interesting cars on this thread.

I was lucky enough to own this for nine years, til it formed part of the divorce settlement!

DSC_0437.JPG

That’s a very corny license plate....I love it :lol:

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, David Bell said:

Some very interesting cars on this thread.

I was lucky enough to own this for nine years, til it formed part of the divorce settlement!

DSC_0437.JPG

The names Bell, David Bell?

Nice car

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Swapped the seats on the convertible for a nice set of leathers I got off eBay for £70!

also highlighted the black stripes with a chrome strip along the edges D2A340D8-1FAF-436B-BA21-DCAA4F002A23.jpeg.faf7e4483826c38a611ccd0eeb8f3722.jpeg

2D0A0D73-F9D5-4119-9745-BCE2DF63CADB.jpeg.1dcb276930d575bf26c1a893e4dc090b.jpeg

A546202F-78C9-4011-8AF9-D31D7AABAE10.jpeg.7c883effe7d651d2b696c9b0168a7685.jpeg

as for the blue Mini the clutch slave cylinder went pop the end of last week, luckily it happened right as I pulled into my mates garage to see him about something else! 

spent some good money last week in a set of decent continental contact tyres for it, it certainly goes round corners now compared to the cheap winter tyres it had on the front 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at the specs on line, 140 bhp from the 1.4 turbo, is it an updated version of the engine the Punto GT used to have in the 90s, that was near as dammit the same power from the same size turbo engine

• RMweb Gold

Speaking of fabric roofs (rooves?) 

With the rain we have had the last couple of days The mini convertible has steamed up something chronic, at first I thought it was the new seats being a bit wet after a clean causing damp/condensation however earlier I noticed the inside of the roof was covered in big water droplets all over the the rear Exposed cloth part and upon touching the outside the fabric (mohair) is absolutely saturated with water, so much so you can run your finger along it and the water rises up from the grain of the cloth ,had the car almost 2 years now and it’s the first time I’ve had it happen, it’s not leaking as such but so waterlogged it must be soaking through somehow

i had the hood cleaned and treated late last year/early this year with a supposed sealant solution added! 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, big jim said:

Just looking at the specs on line, 140 bhp from the 1.4 turbo, is it an updated version of the engine the Punto GT used to have in the 90s, that was near as dammit the same power from the same size turbo engine

Reminds me of our Mini racer back in the early 70’s, we had everything slung on it allowed in special saloons class, Longman inclined valve head, split Weber’s and very well built and balanced and that struggled to get 130 bhp, which actually was the accepted level back then 100bhp per litre for a NA race engine.

I am actually amazed there is not more on a road going modern turbo’ed “hot hatch/sports car”.

58 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I am actually amazed there is not more on a road going modern turbo’ed “hot hatch/sports car”.

The Fiat engine is in the lower state of tune. They also do the Abarth version which is more powerful, with 168hp

All the best

Katy

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Most new breed hot hatches are now small Turbo’d engines, I suppose to keep insurance and tax costs down, certainly bog standard ST fiestas and the like give my coooer S a run for its money to a point, but then mine will keep pulling when they have run out of go! 

(That’s of course when it’s not broken)

I had a new 20 plate cooper S as a hire car a few months back and that was a 3 cylinder turbo went like a rocket! 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

The Fiat engine is in the lower state of tune. They also do the Abarth version which is more powerful, with 168hp

All the best

Katy

23 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

Very nice car - hey  it reminds me of mums Fiat that I learned to drive in back in 1981.

733210bd8fe00ae9b407f297fe86a0c7.jpg.b0f9c6344c122ed21b6db044df8db8fa.jpg

Well, they both have a fabric roof I guess..

We have one of those too, or at least the modern version of it. It is a great wee car

20200619_231525.jpg

• Like 2

I bet the engine is a bit of an upgrade from hers - 2 cylinder 500cc 10HP.

I hated the car at the time, especially as Mad Max had just come out and all my mate were getting their licences in their parents V8's..

She traded it in October 1981 for a Suzuki Hatch, - that was 800cc and 3 cylinders - I remember the joy I felt when I could get to 100km/hr for the first time!  Still, Suzuki  hasn't brought out a retro model of the Suzuki Hatch and probably never will.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, monkeysarefun said:

I bet the engine is a bit of an upgrade from hers - 2 cylinder 500cc 10HP.

I hated the car at the time, especially as Mad Max had just come out and all my mate were getting their licences in their parents V8's..

She traded it in October 1981 for a Suzuki Hatch, - that was 800cc and 3 cylinders - I remember the joy I felt when I could get to 100km/hr for the first time!  Still, Suzuki  hasn't brought out a retro model of the Suzuki Hatch and probably never will.

You say that, there is a new model that gives at least a nod to a previous car in the style of rear quater-light/D-pillar. Whether it is supposed to be a full on retro refreshed motor or just a knowing wink, I know not. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Got the cooper back yesterday from having a new clutch slave cylinder fitted but it’s got to go back in a bit to be Bled as I can’t get it in gear with the engine running, luckily I can get it in 2nd to get it to him

only discovered that issue while I was on the way to APB motorsport to get the tracking and geometry sorted, after spending decent money on tyres a couple of weeks back I want them to last!

4130D6F5-394C-4AFC-9BDA-63116D412633.jpeg.ef91b279e46f52e8d38a7395b4b130bb.jpeg

Sat here as the mechanic drove it onto the ramp I notice the exhaust is rattling now too, hopefully it’s just catching on the heat shield as there is not too much play under there, doesn’t sound like a loose baffle, annoyingly the red car has started doing the same too! 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit of a rarity, Vauxhall nova saloon at a local garage

F505BEFD-3850-422B-917F-8B0A612F43C2.jpeg.4d94da400986aa2de7711c3b4fd17298.jpeg

also I suspect this one is a bit of a sleeper looking at the Santa pod sticker in the window and the short shift gear change! 

07A2F142-BD87-4F8B-8BC6-840BA65E99C2.jpeg.73b4878dd51ce79d54588708cd00a00e.jpeg

• Like 6