Jump to content
JJGraphics

Forum grindingly slow this afternoon

Recommended Posts

Seems very sluggish when trying to view threads from the “view new content” section whilst out and about on my phone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's also very sluggish viewed from my home laptop.

 

Regards,

 

Alastair M

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty much consistent sporadic poor performance across mobile, tablet, laptop and PC here.

 

Not been right since the last big forum software changeover if I am honest. 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched a video posted by a forum member, as it neared the end (about 30 seconds) he started to thank people involved so instead of watching I clicked on my view new content button and the video played to the end before the site refreshed.

 

I've had a several slow downs recently but have not commented for the same reasons as mentioned above, not wishing to be a pain in the butt to the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's pretty much consistent sporadic poor performance across mobile, tablet, laptop and PC here.

 

Not been right since the last big forum software changeover if I am honest. 

Oxymoron alert!

 

consistent sporadic ? :)

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

LOL.  I interpret that to mean the poor performance is sporadic in timing but consistent in nature. ;)

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried to post in the rules section but after nearly a minute I got two two 'time outs'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just tried to post in the rules section but after nearly a minute I got two two 'time outs'

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More and more in the last few days I have noticed that the "Forum marked as read" black banner at the top of the page sporadically hangs, sometimes for as long as thirty seconds. While this is taking place all navigation comes to a standstill. I'm not sure that we need to see that banner and I'd like to see it disabled.

 

John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, John M Upton said:

It's pretty much consistent sporadic poor performance

 

Surprisingly that does make sense.

 

On 28/01/2020 at 23:50, John M Upton said:

Something seems to be seriously amiss somewhere.

 

I'd rate it as a glitch of minor inconvenience, I save 'seriously amiss' for more important things in life.

 

23 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Surely it is not beyond the whit of man to isolate the cause of the problem?

 

Far more difficult to diagnose and fix than you would think. I'm not an advanced server-tekkie which is what it needs, someone who can tweak memory settings and loads. I am keeping an eye on it and discussing with a server-tekkie. They only work in the small hours and eat Wotsits so they're a bit difficult to pin down.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Far more difficult to diagnose and fix than you would think. I'm not an advanced server-tekkie which is what it needs, someone who can tweak memory settings and loads. I am keeping an eye on it and discussing with a server-tekkie. They only work in the small hours and eat Wotsits so they're a bit difficult to pin down.

 

Hi Andy,

 

You're in a really difficult position, I realise...

 

It sounds like the trekkies are trying to make the sevice work within limited resources but isn't the problem, in fact, the limits themselves?

 

Would more memory, faster server, more bandwidth, etc. help? I know that would cost a bit but imagine the hassle-free, sunny world you would live in! :wink_mini:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

Would more memory, faster server, more bandwidth, etc. help? I know that would cost a bit but imagine the hassle-free, sunny world you would live in!

 

:laugh:

 

I've been down that road before with committing more physical resources to it without it resolving any fundamental performance management and ending up with bigger bills without better performance. It's a system and process management thing, although we are having discussions about a major transfer operation - and, believe me, it would be a massive undertaking and I'd have to be convinced it's not just greener grass.

  • Friendly/supportive 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see... Nothing in life is easy, is it?

 

One day you'll be able to hand this sort of problem off to an AI - let the technology sort itself out!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

 

One day you'll be able to hand this sort of problem off to an AI - let the technology sort itself out!

 

 

That's what worries me - will the AI perception of the 'ideal' solution accord with the human perception?

 

Remember HAL in '2001, A Space Odyssey'?

 

When AI gets to that stage of development, be afraid - be very afraid!

 

Regards,

John Isherwood.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone else finding the forum slow running this evening.

Is there a TSR somewhere on the line :)

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/01/2020 at 15:45, John M Upton said:

It's pretty much consistent sporadic poor performance across mobile, tablet, laptop and PC here.

 

Not been right since the last big forum software changeover if I am honest. 


This pretty much nails it from when this thread first arose. Funnily enough the Hatton’s website has in the last few days started to do the same kind of things.... Still think it’s just more demand than the servers can supply, which has erratic causal effects. Too higher res images which are not needed in many cases could be a primary issue. Take vast resources.

 

Izzy

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Running OK in West Herts on my laptop this morning,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still finding the forum desperately slow especially when closing a topic and going back to a forum topic list. It's also very slow when posting a new comment to a topic. It has been since the last upgrade and I've pretty much given up commenting on it as it seems that the usual response is nothing is wrong and 'you'll just have to put up with it'.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Richard E said:

.... I've pretty much given up commenting on it as it seems that the usual response is nothing is wrong and 'you'll just have to put up with it'.

 

But it's a free service; (unless you pay for Gold membership); how dare you criticise !?!

 

Yours wryly,

John Isherwood.

  • Like 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, cctransuk said:

 

But it's a free service; (unless you pay for Gold membership); how dare you criticise !?!

 

Yours wryly,

John Isherwood.

Many a true word spoken in jest :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh the irony, I just got "cloudflared" whilst reading this subject.

 

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ED6F4017-4330-4287-B1BC-4602AB18D465.png.628aff5a315660a1b47421778f7fdbd7.png

Getting this come up loads. Seems to have happened more often this last week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

ED6F4017-4330-4287-B1BC-4602AB18D465.png.628aff5a315660a1b47421778f7fdbd7.png

Getting this come up loads. Seems to have happened more often this last week.

 

Just got this myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/01/2020 at 09:54, Harlequin said:

 

It sounds like the trekkies are trying to make the sevice work within limited resources but isn't the problem, in fact, the limits themselves?

 

 

I know the recent additions to the Star Trek story (ie Discovery and Picard) are not universally popular but I don't think they can be blamed for RMWeb's problems !

 

The issues I have had are occasional slowness, and the jump in View New Content from a few hours ago to dates in the past, but leaving and trying again later usually sorts things, and I appreciate the work AY Mod and others put in to make this fantastic resource available to us.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.