New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

32 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Other than these have no buffers so the chain link would need to be rigid and lock into place whilst still pivoting otherwise the tender and coaches will be rubbing on each other.

Is rigid chain a bit like pushing on string ?

• Like 1

For those interested, there are a good few pictures in Hornby's Engine Shed Newsletter, this is a link to it. 
https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engin...phensons-rocket

If that is giving problems, try this one...
https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/news/the-engine-shed/  

If it goes to the Hornby website again, you can navigate straight to the Engine Shed on the drop-down from Community.  Quite a bit of detail to be seen in the many pictures.

It's also worth scrolling, way down the page, to the pictures of the DCC decoder fitting. It looks like they used a Hornby 6 pin, so other makes of decoder should be even smaller. The Decoder will need a harness to connect to the Hornby 6 pin socket. A ZN6D Zen from DCC Concepts has a small stay-alive, which might be useful, but whether there is room, I don't know.  There seems to be space between the two PCBs. [??]

Regards
Julian

1 hour ago, boxbrownie said:

No.....a bit like pushing on RIGID string ;)

:crazy_mini:  ..... They do look a bit like that.  I've not seen any couplings quite like them and they do look like chain, but rigid [plastic?].  They don't have to be rigid, as the coaches do have buffers {the Tender doesn't 'though}, like the older 1980s ones.  Perhaps the magnification makes them just look that way??

Julian

Edited by jcredfer

5 hours ago, jcredfer said:

It's also worth scrolling, way down the page, to the pictures of the DCC decoder fitting. It looks like they used a Hornby 6 pin, so other makes of decoder should be even smaller. The Decoder will need a harness to connect to the Hornby 6 pin socket. A ZN6D Zen from DCC Concepts has a small stay-alive, which might be useful, but whether there is room, I don't know.  There seems to be space between the two PCBs. [??]

Regards
Julian

The challenge will be DCC sound! The smallest Zimo decoder is 5mm longer than the Hornby decoders (the R7150 looks to be the same as the R8249 with just 6 wires and matching plug). Might be possible to hard wire and hide the decoder under the chassis of the tender and put some variant of "sugar cube" type speakers in the water barrel. That's assuming a suitable sound can be sourced. Hoping Paul Chetter gets a Rocket set to play with :D

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

52 minutes ago, phil gollin said:

I  REALLY  don't like the joint across the middle of the water barrel  -  it makes a good model look awful.

I agree - what they ought to do is supply an alternate solid barrel, something their for someone else to consider offering especially if they could get it colour matched; strikes me the 6 pin decoder socket could have been placed under the barrel either vertically so that a small 6 pin decoder would be hidden by barrel when dropped on top or horizontally with a redesigned coal load that hid the decoder. Problem is Hornby have no such thing so its obviously been designed for what they have rather than what is available from others. Interesting that the comparison photo with the old model does not show the old tender.

1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

I reckon one off the Airfix/Dapol one could be fitted easily enough, with the ends  mounted as horizontal planks. I seem to remember these ends were separate discs in the kit?

Yes, they were. Might even be the same diameter.

14 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

The horizontally split barrel is a pre-release sample. The catalogue image for the production version doesn't have a visible joint.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack-era-1.html

Interesting. Wait and see, I guess!

• Informative/Useful 1

12 minutes ago, MarkSG said:

The horizontally split barrel is a pre-release sample. The catalogue image for the production version doesn't have a visible joint.

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/l-mr-stephenson-s-rocket-train-pack-era-1.html

That image is a CAD render rather than a physical model so will be "perfect" in showing all the joints as perfect. I think as the model they showed in Engine Shed was fully complete and showed how DCC fitting is carried out I think it can be assumed it's the final product. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

This is what happens when we complain about long lead times. Models appear without being scrutinised by the experts and sharp-eyed on here and are too far advanced to be corrected.

Possible ways to deal with the split.

Some Dapol wagons have a prominent seam on the inside floor; not there on the prototype. I solved that by flooding it with the paint I used to repaint the interior. Difficulty: Colour matching.

Very carefully gouge out the lines between the horizontal planks to match the groove. That would need more skill than I have and wouldn’t correct the appearance of the barrel ends.

Oh dear. :(

Suspect sales of the Dapol kit may explode simply to get the barrel. I doubt once Hornby "resolved" where the decoder would go they would have made a change; after all sales of various steam locos do not seem to have been affected by the stupid horizontal join down the sides of the boiler. Maybe their should be an annual award for the dumbness feature of a new release although this seems to have competition from Bachmanns MR 0-4-4T which apparently has traction tyres:banghead:

31 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Suspect sales of the Dapol kit may explode simply to get the barrel. I doubt once Hornby "resolved" where the decoder would go they would have made a change; after all sales of various steam locos do not seem to have been affected by the stupid horizontal join down the sides of the boiler. Maybe their should be an annual award for the dumbness feature of a new release although this seems to have competition from Bachmanns MR 0-4-4T which apparently has traction tyres:banghead:

Another possible solution. Problem: colour matching.

I like the annual award idea. Despite the idea that all publicity is good publicity, I think it might draw manufacturers’ attention to features which should be improved. Past winner: Hornby 87 for its lighting, its DCC and sound provision and its pantograph. Oscar Wilde almost said, “To get it wrong once [Class 71] may be regarded as a misfortune … to get it wrong twice [Class 87] seems like carelessness.”

It seems that it is too late to wish for the MR offering not to have rubber wheels but I do hope that your wall is rubber.

For those worried about the horizontal seam on the barrel, maybe someone like @RThompson (hope I've tagged the right person), who has made some wonderful etched kits to upgrade locos like the Sentinels can offer a pair of circular etches with grooves etched into it. They can be simply laid over and glued to one side only and you'll still be able to remove the top half.

I've already set about doing the etch drawings for myself, I'll resize it once I get my hands on Hornby's new Rocket.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, MGR Hooper! said:

For those worried about the horizontal seam on the barrel, maybe someone like @RThompson (hope I've tagged the right person), who has made some wonderful etched kits to upgrade locos like the Sentinels can offer a pair of circular etches with grooves etched into it. They can be simply laid over and glued to one side only and you'll still be able to remove the top half.

I've already set about doing the etch drawings for myself, I'll resize it once I get my hands on Hornby's new Rocket.

Or you could always just score a couple of circles of plasticard for the same effect.

• Agree 3