New Hornby Rocket

CF MRC

56 minutes ago, boxbrownie said:

I wonder if they could confirm that the next Hornby video will be produced by people who actually like model railways, not yoofs who happen to own a smartphone!

It is effectively a demo, not a feature film.

Are musicians demos always produced as finely as the final recordings?

If I worked with model railways all day every day, I am sure it would take away some of the enjoyment I get from the hobby now.

6 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Your analogy is flawed.

The Hornby video is a publicly-available marketing piece. It should be created and edited as such.

Musicians' demos are not intended for the public domain, but to be used by those in the business. If they ever get into the public domain, it's usually because the musicians are supermegafamous and the completists will buy anything.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

3 minutes ago, truffy said:

Your analogy is flawed.

The Hornby video is a publicly-available marketing piece. It should be created and edited as such.

Musicians' demos are not intended for the public domain, but to be used by those in the business. If they ever get into the public domain, it's usually because the musicians are supermegafamous and the completists will buy anything.

They are both to whet people's appetites, nothing more.

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

They are both to whet people's appetites, nothing more.

However, a musicians demo is to work out ideas to put before a very limited audience (A&R/Producers) to sell a concept for further production and refinement. Thats more akin to seeing clearly identified engineering prototypes/decoration samples of a model, not a video of something thats going to be delivered to the public in a few weeks time.

What the Signal Box team did was to put a badly made video (both in video quality and sound) of a pre-production model that wasn't ready for public exposure, in front of the people who would be buying the final product.

And given that both the Commemorative and standard packs seem to be sold out at Hornby and in the model shops then whetting isn't really required.

Edited by Hroth
Spelling. I must proofread!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, Hroth said:

However, a musicians demo is to work out ideas to put before a very limited audience (A&R/Producers) to sell a concept for further production and refinement. Thats more akin to seeing clearly identified engineering prototypes/decoration samples of a model, not a video of something thats going to be delivered to the public in a few weeks time.

What the Signal Box team did was to put a badly made video (both in video quality and sound) of a pre-production model that wasn't ready for public exposure, in front of the people who would be buying the final product.

And given that both the Commemorative and standard packs seem to be sold out at Hornby and in the model shops then whetting isn't really required.

So I guess you'll be cancelling your order then?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

If I worked with model railways all day every day, I am sure it would take away some of the enjoyment I get from the hobby now.

It’s showcasing a new product from a multi national company, if I was the MD I’d be ashamed to put that out.

Not arguing, it’s my opinion.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, mozzer models said:

New vid on youtube & Hornby are taking the Pi?? out of themselves :laugh_mini::diablo_mini:

Fell out of the chair laughing watching this vid. Thumbs up to Hornby for spotting the error and I'm sure the Men in Malachite will kindly offer their services to rehabilitate Mike (and they won't leave any bruises either :diablo_mini:).

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Better but still issues with depth of field and the laws of physics re. coupling chains under tension.

True but a nice recovery, well done Hornby......a little extra time makes a huge difference :good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

9 hours ago, Hroth said:

Just found the standard pack available to order at the first non obvious on-line retailer I looked at, and at others who are quoting £££ over the list price already

5 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Just found the standard pack available to order at the first non obvious on-line retailer I looked at, and at others who are quoting £££ over the list price already

But how up-to-date is their website? Some are very good, with stock levels indicated, others just list things as being orderable, even if they have no stock available. If you're after one, I hope you succeed.

• Agree 1

59 minutes ago, Coppercap said:

But how up-to-date is their website? Some are very good, with stock levels indicated, others just list things as being orderable, even if they have no stock available. If you're after one, I hope you succeed.

It is available to order at Gaugemaster for example. It is after all a standard release not limited in number and no doubt will be available at most if not all Hornby sellers not just the big box shifters who everyone has ordered from, although that includes the likes of Jamlam who are asking £219.99 for it. Gaugemaster are quoting £165 which includes free next day delivery which makes it cheaper than all those people have ordered from Hattons once postage is factored in.

Edited by Butler Henderson