• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

For the first 45 secs of that video I thought the loco is very loud for one that's not moving.

Then a diesel appears, though from the sound I was expecting a steam loco.

Confused of Cornwall.

In England we call it a joke.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Some of my stock is sound fitted.

15 empties and a brake; I wonder what the load limit would have been for a D65er/33 coming up the bank?

EDIT: And more importantly the permitted load for adequate braking ability going back down the bank with a tail load filled with stone.

Edited by john new
As above.
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

For the first 45 secs of that video I thought the loco is very loud for one that's not moving.

Then a diesel appears, though from the sound I was expecting a steam loco.

I just thought it was from that time in the '70's when they did coal-firing experiments on diesels:

979821005_SJPLJPimg072Coal-firedCl.370212010802140309.jpg.4efa1bd7820b881526f1529a049ba3d7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold

Well, I'm seriously considering not playing any more.

Piggin' winding people up with mismatched loco noises, it's just not on, this is supposed to be a serious modelling forum.

I've a good mind to start posting pithy comments on here, just to get my own back.

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, john new said:

15 empties and a brake; I wonder what the load limit would have been for a D65er/33 coming up the bank?

EDIT: And more importantly the permitted load for adequate braking ability going back down the bank with a tail load filled with stone.

In steam days it was 10 empties uphill and five full 'uns downhill, brake at both ends. Can't see any reason for it to have differed in diesel days, had there been any.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

If you ever want to avoid that, don't face into the wind.

Sure facing into the wind would be correct, facing with your back to the wind would be more troublesome...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Sure facing into the wind would be correct, facing with your back to the wind would be more troublesome...

Plenty of scope for trying it here in recent days. 75 kph on Thursday at times, and 60 kph this afternoon. But bright, warm sun at times. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Today has just been about playing trains. I was going to do some more with platforms, but first had to clear some space and in order to do that had to move a couple of trains back to the fiddle yard. That's as far as the platform idea went!

By driving trains around I realised that I had a very small area in which I could take some decent photographs, and proceeded to stage some shots with the previously mentioned scenic testers.

P1030840_Cropped.JPG.5d1c6cc398e36ad368bbafca8e6e382d.JPG

P1030836_Cropped.JPG.a5d9e8a5687e70262eb3427779656766.JPG

P1030843_Cropped.JPG.0a783e207401ae4611ad8c087da4e420.JPG

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

16 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

make sure you check for spiders' webs first.

Alternatively just let them weave their little webs, spray with varnish then "flock" it ! 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

When you take a photograph of something that has been tucked away in a corner for a while, make sure you check for spiders' webs first.

But surely I recall a spider's web being heralded as a 'feature' in a Pendon scene?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

But surely I recall a spider's web being heralded as a 'feature' in a Pendon scene?

Pendon scenes have many features. When photographers are due, the scenes are dutifully inspected. Some are dealt with and others are left to chance. :D

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

For want of something better to do, I've just been through all of my Pendon photographs, checking for cobwebs captured within. It seems that 21st October 2016 was a particularly bad day, with 24 of my 118 shots revealing evidende of a spider presence somewhere. Other days have nowhere as many, if at all. As you can imagine, there is a great deal of opportunity for spiders in such a large area, but I have never yet seen any evidence of them having caught anything. That could be because the team involved are good at finding and disposing, though.

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

For want of something better to do, I've just been through all of my Pendon photographs, checking for cobwebs captured within. It seems that 21st October 2016 was a particularly bad day, with 24 of my 118 shots revealing evidende of a spider presence somewhere. Other days have nowhere as many, if at all. As you can imagine, there is a great deal of opportunity for spiders in such a large area, but I have never yet seen any evidence of them having caught anything. That could be because the team involved are good at finding and disposing, though.

Very sorry to have wasted half your day on such an unimportant task!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

As you can imagine, there is a great deal of opportunity for spiders in such a large area, but I have never yet seen any evidence of them having caught anything.

I caught one hanging out in my goods shed once. Looks harmless but they can be quite sadistic. Ever heard of fly shunting?  :spiteful:

image.png.5ad7d23b4fa828eea83ddd1546cd2e3a.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold

The sleeper-grimed track is now being beige-browned. I'm still referring to the coloured illustrations on the back covers of Brian Jackson's books.

P1030860_Cropped.JPG.d20264093bee57b7bc3c87e0042af4c0.JPG

This afternoon I took a photograph of the photographs and was thus able to enlarge the images a little, and was surprised at how much more detail became visible.

P1030861_Cropped.JPG.25a4de76d9b47dfe4ab15251eaa1ed5b.JPG

P1030862_Cropped.JPG.037c016461e6907ad9a43e46b6fa3560.JPG

Yes. I know they're Panniers. Or, to be more accurate, a Pannier.

• Like 7

On 24/05/2021 at 15:25, Mick Bonwick said:

Where's the nearest bridge?

IMG_6633_edited-1.JPG.2353ebba4ac8690e628dc44b35cf6dbc.JPG

As that bus is: A. Pre 1975, B. Railway company property, parking it in the middle of a bridge wouldn't constitute a dive bomb-able offence. It would probably be classified as "predictable" or "a bit naff". 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2