Liquid Poly

• RMweb Premium

I need to get some new liquid adhesive, mainly for Van and Wagon Kits and typical Plasticard light building work including Greenscene parts as well. I have used Butanone in the past and really like using that and can get some locally, however I would be interested in others' recommendations for a similar product. Many thanks.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

46 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

I need to get some new liquid adhesive. I have used Butanone in the pat and really like using that and can get some locally, however I would be interested in others' recommendations for a similar product. Many thanks.

Phil

Hiya Ducky,

What are you wanting to bond together ?

I've been using Butanone today and it feels as though I've had a dozen spliffs ! Don't like it but hey-ho!

Needed to use it for the chairs to bond on a turnout but I wouldn't normally use it. As young Rob says, I normally use Tamiya Extra Thin which is a mild but strong adhesive and is my go-to when bonding plasticard etc. Always found it to be a good product.

G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I usually use Slater's Mek Pak, have done so for years and it seems to bond most kinds of styrene used in kits as well as RTR rolling stock, and of course Plastikard very well.

I also have some EMA Plastic Weld which gives a stronger bond and is good for certain plastics that  Mek Pak won't touch (e.g. the old grey Plastruct) but doesn't seem to like some other kinds and evaporates very quickly, sometimes before you can get the brush to the model!

I've recently bought some Limonene (from Wizard at shows) and used it for laminating layers of Plastikard which went very well; it doesn't evaporate too quickly so you can get a decent coverage before you bring the pieces together, and doesn't seem to cause shrinkage / distortion to thin Plastikard if too much is applied; also it smells nice!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 31A said:

I usually use ...

I have pretty much the same choices:

MekPak or Plastic Weld for most things (depends on when I run out and which the shop has).

Butanone for plastic sleepers and chairs (but I'm not averse to using it more generally if I run out of MekPak/Plastic Weld)

Limonene for very thin plastic  (e.g. 5 thou slates) that the others eat straight through.

SWMBO complains that Limonene upsets her asthma more than the others - although she's not allergic to citrus fruit where it's what gives the peel its aroma.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, bgman said:

I've been using Butanone today and it feels as though I've had a dozen spliffs ! Don't like it but hey-ho!

I know it's a bit nippy outside, but open a window and get some air flowing through your modelling room.

• RMweb Gold

Like a number of people here, I use a selection of adhesives for sticking together polystyrene - first, "the usual suspects":

• Tamiya quick setting ultra thin;
  • Dichloromethane / EMA PlasticWeld;
  • Humbrol Liquid Poly.

Cellulose thinner also seems to work (I wouldn't be too surprised if it contained some of the same solvents as certain "official" solvent adhesives).

However, these days, I'm just as likely to use Lidl Universal Paint Thinner - which I generally find very effective, with a very reasonable price. However, I should probably also mention that this stuff seems to have been known by a number of names over the years. A few weeks back, I came across some tins labelled as "cellulose thinner" - which I strongly suspect to be basically the same stuff.

As with a lot of things, there seems to be plenty of scope for experimentation, using scrap materials.

Huw.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks all. I've added to the OP what I had meant to say about the type of work. Just needing to crack on with some plassi kits and maybe some simple building work; nothing really fine architecture!

Phil

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sharris said:

I know it's a bit nippy outside, but open a window and get some air flowing through your modelling room.

Thank you, I do have the window open even in this weather but it still pongs ! :D

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is much less agressive than the older style solvents - so yes it does take quite some time to work.  Very good for sticking sheets of textured PS onto a plain PS base, but less useful IMO for making up a kit for example.

• Thanks 1