The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Panic buying

57xx

I performed my weekly shop At Tesco this morning. No shortage of toilet rolls there, but they appear to be acknowledging their customers wish to panic buy, as most of the packs on the shelves contained 48 rolls.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Mrs JJB was not very happy to find her preferred brand of rice was sold out everywhere, she is very particular about rice and buys sacks of the stuff. Heaven help us if she is reduced to considering American long grain rice...…..

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Good job we don't live in the USA, because I suspect that there people might get tempted to stash not only loo-rolls but ammunition ......... after all, its the stuff of so much 'box set' apocalypse telly.

Funny you should say that ,

https://www.thedailybeast.com/asian-americans-terrified-of-coronavirus-backlash-stock-up-on-guns

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

That’s a nasty angle on it that I didn’t suspect - I thought it would be ‘survivalists’ about to take to the hills, but I guess they are over-prepared already.

The 'survivalists' already have more canned food, guns, & ammo than you can shake a stick at.

They are also the types who will either ignore all the advice, apart from Pres Trump's, or already live so far from civilization that they are unlikely to catch anything.

Stockpiling of guns and ammo mainly happens when Democrats get elected.

I sometimes wonder why I'm living here?

John P

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Monica Lewinskey goes into a dry-cleaners run by an old boy who's deaf and puts a dress on the counter.  "Hi, me again" says she.  "Can you get another stain off the front of this dress please?"  Not having heard her clearly, the old boy behind the counter says "Come again?".  "No, it's icecream this time" says Monica ...

• Like 1
  • Funny 11

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Furness Wagon said:

I'm hoping to encourage the panic buying of kits. These will be the easiest way of passing the two weeks of solitary confinement  that you will all be facing. Also buy now and you might avoid the shut down of the postal service. Buy now come on you know you want to!!!! You will need at least 10 wagons to last the two weeks.

Marc

I would love to take up your generous offer of free kits for solitary confinement, but unfortunately some of us will have to work as normal. My oppo at work has spent the last week upgrading the VPN so more people can work from home. I normally do a couple of days a week anyhow, so it won't be much different.

7 hours ago, hayfield said:

Many folk have a totally false perception of how much stock supermarkets hold, shops now hold very little stock in their own storage areas with the exception of chilled products, the idea being stock is only showed when on show, everytime a product is handled profit is reduced, surplus stock ties up working capital. Stock comes in off the lorry and goes straight out on the shelves (handled once), there will always be a certain amount of reserve stock but it is kept to a minimum. At times like Christmas and Easter stock levels are increased to cover very high buying peaks. 

Both customer buying habits and shop stock replenishment have both changed over the years. Go into most supermarkets first thing in the morning and the shelves are full, go in late afternoon and early evening and they are empty as most large supermarkets restock overnight, during the day topping up occurs on either high selling items or what are called overs.

The panic buying in all but a few items may result in short term unavailability, which in most cases will rectify its self in a few days. You may have to buy an alternative product for a while.

Completely understand how the business model works, I known when brexit day was announced some of the car manufacturers announced they would be closing for a few days as they were unsure of reliability of supply. I think I read somewhere that items where only ‘in stock ‘ for a matter of hours. This model is ok when things are running smoothly.

Regards Robert

2 minutes ago, Erichill16 said:

Completely understand how the business model works, I known when brexit day was announced some of the car manufacturers announced they would be closing for a few days as they were unsure of reliability of supply. I think I read somewhere that items where only ‘in stock ‘ for a matter of hours. This model is ok when things are running smoothly.

Regards Robert

We had major floods here around 3 years ago, making North South travel impossible and effectively cutting Northern Colorado into long thin horizontal stripes. As all we have to the West are mountains and to the East it's all ghost towns, and then Kansas, the supermarkets were running out of most things after just 2 days.

Regards,

John P

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, jpendle said:

We had major floods here around 3 years ago, making North South travel impossible and effectively cutting Northern Colorado into long thin horizontal stripes. As all we have to the West are mountains and to the East it's all ghost towns, and then Kansas, the supermarkets were running out of most things after just 2 days.

Regards,

John P

Failure of ‘just in time’ or ‘panic buying’ or ‘panic buying due just in time’?

Regards from the UK

Robert

10 hours ago, jjb1970 said:

It's not much different from Christmas where most shops being closed for one day triggers preparations to survive a nuclear winter.

my in laws are very much in that camp. 2 trolleys Xmas eve to stock up a house and fridge already bulging. One also panics if less than a full case of wine held in stock per day of visit (even though the family has never got through a case a day).

I feel force fed by boxing day as every time anyone moves, you get chocolates, cake, biscuits etc offered, Father Ted style. Ahh, go on, go on....

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Good job we don't live in the USA, because I suspect that there people might get tempted to stash not only loo-rolls but ammunition ......... after all, its the stuff of so much 'box set' apocalypse telly.

Many people did that when the previous President was elected.

There is a term called "prepper" - meaning people who intentionally "prepare" for some kind apocalypse or the second coming / rapture / Armageddon / whatever. It is actually a requirement by some relatively well known religious sects. In some ways it is a throw-back to cold war thinking.

Given the potential for disastrous earthquakes here, it is actually a sensible precaution to have stocks of food and water.

Business is booming for people who sell to "preppers".

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Ozexpatriate said:

Many people did that when the previous President was elected.

There is a term called "prepper" - meaning people who intentionally "prepare" for some kind apocalypse or the second coming / rapture / Armageddon / whatever. It is actually a requirement by some relatively well known religious sects. In some ways it is a throw-back to cold war thinking.

Given the potential for disastrous earthquakes here, it is actually a sensible precaution to have stocks of food and water.

Business is booming for people who sell to "preppers".

Yes, I used to work with a member of the Mormons and he spent one afternoon telling me just about everything he had stored in his garage in case of an apocalyptic event. 

I was amazed that he had multiple cases of soup, baked beans, etc all in 12s or 24s from the cash & carry. 

• Agree 1