Hornby Product Announcement - July 31st 2020

MGR Hooper!

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

And dont modern requirements dictate the doors can’t be the same colour as the coach... so maybe a lot more white.

14 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I think that relates to public trains only? but I'm not 100%. That's probably a CG image for marketing because its not been repainted yet as far as I'm aware. 

Edit: The Statesman Rail Pullmans have brown coloured doors so I guess it doesn't apply to private train operators? 

correct, the requirement for colour contrasting doors does not apply to charter trains But only on the explicit understanding that said trains have lots of on board attendants who can assist customers waiting to board.

In other words were a charter train operated under the same conditions as a ordinary TOC (e.g. just driver and guard) then colour contrasting doors would be required.

Edited by phil-b259

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yet on other threads where Accurascale, Hattons etc. launch multiple versions at the same time they are commended and people slate the likes of Hornby / Bachmann for not doing the same.

Can't win can they?

Roy

They can’t win when they hype it up and then we find out It’s only available to club members. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

They can’t win when they hype it up and then we find out It’s only available to club members. 

Didn't realise that telling people you are making an announcement was "hyping it up" - that was mainly done by RMWeb members, many of which failed to notice that Hornby's mid-year announcements are nearly always just another livery on an existing model.

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

17 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Very true but if they wanted people to join the club it certainly worked. Although I must admit it's slightly shady to release a terrier in the livery and condition that a lot of people wanted, only to have it a collectors club exclusive.

• Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Where did they hype anything up?

I only saw this thread on here, not even started by Hornby, which had attracted about one page worth of posts before the announcement. Most of which were jocular and not expecting much.

I never received any emails or any third party advertising telling me about it. Certainly nothing from Hornby. I did today after the announcement. But I had already ordered by then.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Is that green right?  It's an awful long time since I saw it and my only photo was b&w but I don't remember all that green.  Might be an age thing of course but on the other hand it would have been well weathered down by the time I came across it and a colour photo the net from around teh same year shows the green far less obviously..

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Rockalaucher101 said:

Very true but if they wanted people to join the club it certainly worked. Although I must admit it's slightly shady to release a terrier in the livery and condition that a lot of people wanted, only to have it a collectors club exclusive.

Hornby being a business and all that it makes good sense to tag club membership to what may prove to be a popular variant. Worked on me anyway! I'll sell the 'free' Club Loco and get 4 magazines so this Terrier will cost no more than a shop release. With a bit of luck they might even produce something else I want as a Collectors Club special in the next 12 months (and if Hornby are reading this and looking for an idea I'd have 6256 in 1947 LMS gloss black with red nameplates please ;))

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

I might make a case for Lion. It is well known enough for a G1 version to be available - probably helped by The Titfield Thunderbolt - but I can't see any appetite for the rest. None of them are as pretty for a start.

I'd buy one, but then my tastes in toy trains are well known not to be mainstream...

If someone did a RTR Thunderbolt in OO I'd bite their arm off

but, yes not bothered by the rest of the early stuff

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’m surprised no ones said “nothing in it for me here”..

so there.. I said it.

The fashion has change, it is now "they want how much?"

Edited by JSpencer
  • Funny 3

Hornby did a version of a Brighton Works Terrier, No. 32635, using the former Dapol tooling...

R2406 AIX class 0-6-0 32635 "Brighton Works" Terrier tank.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/10015/hornby_r2406_aix_class_0_6_0_32635_brighton_works_terrier_tank_in_full_stroutley_yellow/stockdetail.aspx

This is my slightly modified version...

595EF169-0EB0-463A-A742-760000BFC93F.jpeg.231296f0169e1ade74804c1e85de23f1.jpeg

8AF093FD-B031-4A67-AA04-9660D77CC44D.jpeg.2db48610de1c917680ca8434655ecfff.jpeg

Some more details on my Ex Dapol Terriers...

Fenchurch in an earlier, Marsh Umber, version of Brighton Works livery...

http://www.brightonmodelworld.com/wp-content/uploads/brightonworks_small.jpg

The loco modelled by Hornby was numbered 377S before being renumbered 32635...

Some photos of the real loco here...

https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/SR-and-BRS/LBSCR-tank-engines/

There is a photo of the Westinghouse pump side here...you will have to scroll down to find it...

http://thebrightonmotivepowerdepots.yolasite.com/brighton-loco-men.php

There is some history of the loco here, a slightly larger model version...

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/36072/gaugemaster-gm7210104-o-gauge-class-a1x-terrier-brighton-works-32635-in-lbscr-improved-engine-green-weathered-dcc-sound

Edited by Sarahagain
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Worked though. Just joined specifically for this model.

BR 1960s garish liveried Terrier? Now that's a bit special.

Jason

Same ngl, I've been waiting for either this very model or Stepney in preservation IEG, which ever came first, and honestly, still will get the latter if they ever make it(please make and please make it a regular release). But yeah, had to spend more than I'd like (That USA membership cost and shipping hurt especially) but lord if I'm not excited.

And in defense of Hornby, they didn't really hype this up, it was only on here, I only found out when I woke up this morning lol. Not speaking for everyone of course, but it's a bit unfair to say they were hyping this up and spreading this everywhere as if they were going to have a bunch of new reveals, model or livery wise.

• RMweb Premium
On 31/07/2020 at 13:05, Roy Langridge said:

Didn't realise that telling people you are making an announcement was "hyping it up" - that was mainly done by RMWeb members, many of which failed to notice that Hornby's mid-year announcements are nearly always just another livery on an existing model.

Roy

There were emails sent out saying” new product announcement”. I received it and I’m not in the club . It might have been better to say “new members club limited edition released” . Fortunately to quote adb968008 “there’s nothing in it for me” . I’m wondering if Hornby have quite learned the lessons of the last few years . Surely the Terrier market is at saturation point by now . 

50 minutes ago, Legend said:

There were emails sent out saying” new product announcement”. I received it and I’m not in the club . It might have been better to say “new members club limited edition released” . Fortunately to quote adb968008 “there’s nothing in it for me” . I’m wondering if Hornby have quite learned the lessons of the last few years . Surely the Terrier market is at saturation point by now . 

Is that why the new batch of Terriers is virtually sold out everywhere?

They can be churning these out for years without repetition and they'll still sell. They've hardly touched the BR era and no GWR ones yet.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

This model does look brilliant. Hornby have certainly fine-tuned the production and decoration, but it being a limited run of a popular model, perhaps leaves the door open for RoS/Dapol to still take this specific loco on. Dapol have already announced it in N and it forms part of the Gaugemaster collection in O gauge.

I'd be peeved if they did a certain other A1x in IEG through the collectors club!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1