Advertising

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

I'd be less annoyed if I had the ad-free subs option available for you to use. I'm awaiting the conclusion of a protracted process.

It'll only be £12 a year and it can't come a moment too soon.

Thruppence a day?

Did I read that right?  I thought I’d need to start working out how to justify another subscription - not sewing up the holes in my trouser pockets so I don’t lose it.  

Guess it might not be called “silver membership” though (mooted several pages earlier and elsewhere): now I’m thinking, copper, nickel or brass*.

(* although brass has it’s own value in railway modelling).

• Like 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Guess it might not be called “silver membership” though (mooted several pages earlier and elsewhere): now I’m thinking, copper, nickel or brass*.

I still call it Silver (when I'm hassling my boss) but we've decided on a different name, more in due course.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Thruppence a day?

Did I read that right?  I thought I’d need to start working out how to justify another subscription - not sewing up the holes in my trouser pockets so I don’t lose it.  

(* although brass has it’s own value in railway modelling).

Probably be called "tight *rse" membership:good:

• Funny 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Probably be called "tight *rse" membership:good:

Plum was favourite at one point. Until I considered that sending messages around the business about 'my plums', 'problems with plums' etc may, possibly, be misconstrued.

• Funny 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

What’s happening, I’ve found this last few weeks but especially tonight that the advertising is really becoming annoying and distracting from reading the forum , so much so that I found this article, and this has been an issue for the last year, is this deliberate to make readers become gold members?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Luke Piewalker said:

My highlight was when I got an advert for an ad blocker...

You get those if you get linked from RMWeb to You Tube.

I don't get them on You Tube directly because theirs are so disruptive I block them.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Plum was favourite at one point. Until I considered that sending messages around the business about 'my plums', 'problems with plums' etc may, possibly, be misconstrued.

On that note Andy a good tactic is to take a firm grip on the plums of whoever is Tinkering whilst suggesting they Stop ?  Take note the greater the pressure the more attention they pay !

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The adverts are just insane now, the forum is unusable. 

Prepared to pay reasonable fee for ad-free usage. Let me know…..

Dava

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Rant mode ON

Can't get onto the forum on my Android tablet. Why?

The eediots who put the ads on (3 banners per page) are covering up the sign in message. Tell me who we need to "realign their thought processes" and it will be done..

This is awful..and what is worse the sign in process is falling over as well..ypu can wait forever for it to complete..when it already has.

Sorry Andy.. it is not your fault but whoever is doing it needs to doit properly testing the ad locations on all sorts of devices..or are they technology dulams?

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

All a bit odd as all I have at the moment is the video constantly running on the right hand side of the screen which is unobtrusive and doesn't hide anything. I do not have any other adverts or blank spaces anywhere - and that's without using an ad-blocker and so I'm puzzled why others are having such difficulties.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

It sounds like "words need to be had" at higher levels in Warners - the number one, absolutely inviolable rule, in software & web development, is that you never, under any circumstances whatsoever, test anything on a live site - we generally have three levels (development, QA, and live). If budget is really tight the first two can be combined (although that of course slows things down, as you can't do both at once)

• Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

All a bit odd as all I have at the moment is the video constantly running on the right hand side of the screen which is unobtrusive and doesn't hide anything. I do not have any other adverts or blank spaces anywhere - and that's without using an ad-blocker and so I'm puzzled why others are having such difficulties.

It depends on your browser, your software and the device you are using..Obviously not been tested properly. See nothing on my phone but can't get on on my tablet..both Android..

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

It's not just whether you have an ad blocker or not Mike - although they will normally cut out all of the rubbish that is being inflicted.

It also depends on what type of device you have - mobile phone, tablet, computer as well as the operating system - Apple, android, Microsoft Edge, Firefox etc. and even what level of security settings you have installed.

I see Barry O has also replied in this vein

• Like 1

On my tablet I'm now getting a white bar that creeps down from the top and obscures various options, like profile and the list of unread messages, preventing them being selected. There's no 'x' on it, like the annoying adverts that take up the full width of the screen, for closing them down. 

Any advise? 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Like Mike , I'm not seeing anything different on my PC or iPad .  Basically I've just got the video running bottom right .  However , the whole site seems very slow to load up . 

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, eldavo said:

Cheers Andy.  From my 40+ years of software development it really seems as though the control of this site is now in the hands of the wrong people.  The fact that folks are able to make fundamental changes on a live system with clearly no testing is a recipe for disaster.  RMweb is becoming increasingly like many other tacky sites overloaded with advertising of a dubious nature.  It's not the site you created and worked hard for.

Cheers

Dave

You lost me at the end, Dave.

I don't remember Andy creating this site.

Altered it? Yes

Created it? No

Sorry.

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Curious. On a PC (the "Grandpa Box" according to Dilbert, though I'm not there yet) I'm currently only seeing the bottom-right videos (chaffinch etc.) and this has been the case for some weeks. 

Yes; I think the main issue since yesterday afternoon relates to tablets. Is everyone who's risen up over the last 24 hours seeing this on Android and Apple tablets? Mobile and Desktops seem to be the same. Am I correct?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

You lost me at the end, Dave.

I don't remember Andy creating this site.

Altered it? Yes

Created it? No

Sorry.

I'm puzzled, could you elaborate? We're all co-creators here, but Andy set up RMweb from day one and made the whole thing happen. 

• Agree 11
  • Round of applause 1