RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in OO Gauge

sc2016

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Chrisr40 said:

Thanks for the link. Is there anyway to obtain these if you dont have a 3d printer ? Have Revolution considered it as a revenue stream ?

Do you mean producing cars in general? Or 3D printing cars?

The answer to both is yes we have considered both but they both present different challenges that we’re not the right solution for at this time. 

3D printing generally needs finishing and painting which we’re not setup to do. I know full colour printing is advancing all the time but there are plenty of other companies that are better placed to do that than us. 

RTR cars - I’m not convinced that we could produce them at a price the market would pay (and that is before you get into the tricky business of licensing car brands). 

Never say never but at the moment our focus is on producing model trains (they didn’t always run full 😀). 

cheers Mike

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Revolution Mike said:

Do you mean producing cars in general? Or 3D printing cars?

The answer to both is yes we have considered both but they both present different challenges that we’re not the right solution for at this time. 

3D printing generally needs finishing and painting which we’re not setup to do. I know full colour printing is advancing all the time but there are plenty of other companies that are better placed to do that than us. 

RTR cars - I’m not convinced that we could produce them at a price the market would pay (and that is before you get into the tricky business of licensing car brands). 

Never say never but at the moment our focus is on producing model trains (they didn’t always run full 😀). 

cheers Mike

Many thanks for your reply. Personally I would be happy with raw unpainted prints as it adds more fun painting them yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

We took the opportunity to run some EP samples on my layout at the weekend and they ran extremely well. 

IMG_2947.png.e542c84a70066272df7b6d1594ada8cb.png

IMG_2946.png.2f4c1e83a29483e0c098e89d77694614.png

The weight is good and they hold the rails well. It shouldn’t be too long until we have some decorated samples which will really help accentuate the iconic look of these car transporters. 

• Like 11

That was your layout !! - I watched those and the 2 Swindon-Longbridge KSA's trundle past a few times thinking someone's made a great job of those, shame they're coming out in RTR 🤣

I already consider my deposit money well spent - looking forward to the final production 👍

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 23/10/2023 at 21:35, Revolution Mike B said:

We took the opportunity to run some EP samples on my layout at the weekend and they ran extremely well. 

IMG_2947.png.e542c84a70066272df7b6d1594ada8cb.png

IMG_2946.png.2f4c1e83a29483e0c098e89d77694614.png

The weight is good and they hold the rails well. It shouldn’t be too long until we have some decorated samples which will really help accentuate the iconic look of these car transporters. 

These look great Mike, thanks for sharing the pics. If I recall correctly, one of your updates said there were two different locating pins so you could couple the intermediate wagons closer or further apart as required. Presumably the above is the "further apart"?

Lovely stuff!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, VXDH92 said:

These look great Mike, thanks for sharing the pics. If I recall correctly, one of your updates said there were two different locating pins so you could couple the intermediate wagons closer or further apart as required. Presumably the above is the "further apart"?

Lovely stuff!

That is correct. They were coupled in the longest position. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Looks like we still don't have an estimate of delivery date for these.

I saw them in the flesh today at Warley and they look fantastic. Really looking forward to these.

I did notice that the pre-order closing date on the tv screen showed 31st December 2023, while I think I saw the eta being 3rd quarter of 2024.

IMG_3107.jpeg.b27749b6e0aa1f0539ee65feef2b0328.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The website (Projects Overview page) still shows a closing date of 31st December 2023 (and blank expected delivery date) for the N gauge version, but neither closing date or expected delivery for the OO version

Think that’s normal? They don’t confirm the production slot until they close pre orders (which makes sense)?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

In answer to questions about scheduling, @derekdoestrains is right.

Once we have decorated samples that we are happy with we confirm a production schedule with the factory and then give everyone a date at which we are closing the order book.  The models go into production soon after and, depending what they are, this can take anything from 4-8 months.  Note:  these production times were much elongated during Covid when factories were being closed with no notice for weeks at a time, or suffering sustained or frequent power outages, or struggling with staffing.

We've had decorated samples of the N gauge Cartics and the pre-order book closes at the end of the year.  If you miss them retailers will almost certainly have stocks but obviously at a slightly higher price to include their margin.

The 00 ones are obviously not that far down the development cycle, so there's no pre-order cut off date yet.  On most products we also offer an even more discounted Earlybird pre-order period, but if there was one it has passed for the Cartics.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Quick question for those more knowledgeable than myself please. I’m about to make an order, I model 1985/6 South West Scotland and stuck between mesh sides and no mesh. Looking on Paul Bartletts site I think I might be in a transition period? Should I be going for one over the other or am I good with either? ‘85 shots seem to be no mesh and ‘86 seem to be with mesh.

Many thanks