Revolution Trains Clayton Class 18 battery hybrid loco

newbryford

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, PhilJ W said:

I'm trying to think of an excuse to have one on my layout.

3 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

You don’t need an excuse, you need one.

My layout is London Transport based. Perhaps fitting shoe beams and a tube profile cab.

1 hour ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Cameras?

really simple & reliable CCTV kit in widespread use on heavy plant & equipment so should be easy to use on these.

• Agree 2

Looking at the bodywork, it is not continuous, so daylight between the different sections will be a key consideration.

Should make for an interesting chassis design - perhaps this is why the OO version is announced first, as would be easier to achieve. 

As with the 1938 tube stock, ideas for suitable small layouts that could use this loco welcome. 

Nick

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alan Oliver said:

Locomotives are fitted with screw while wagons generally use instanter, probably quite difficult to automate a 3 link or instanter coupling.

These days very few wagons are without a screw coupling. 

The instanter only survives on older wagons (and conversions) that were built with them, and most of those types have their days numbered.

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Will these locos have a facility for the driver to control them remotely, as Celsa have done with the 08s at their Cardiff plant?

I think that is the purpose of the shunting lights. At least it means you don't have to install a driver figure.

• Agree 1

Looking at th automated screw coupling, it looks like you still need a human to wind it in or out, but it can be raised and lowered mechanically. Not all the locos seem to have it, indeed in service the Tata ones have lost them in favour of an instanter.

Link to Flickr pic:

930 & 932

Instanters are lighter and easier for a shunter to throw on or off a hook than a screw coupling, they also don't go stiff of not oiled. Much less maintenance intensive than a screw.

Jo

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Looking at th automated screw coupling, it looks like you still need a human to wind it in or out, but it can be raised and lowered mechanically. Not all the locos seem to have it, indeed in service the Tata ones have lost them in favour of an instanter.

Link to Flickr pic:

Hi Jo,

These look like 3-links without the middle drop link of an instanter

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Looking at th automated screw coupling, it looks like you still need a human to wind it in or out, but it can be raised and lowered mechanically.

I see nothing on the pictures of the automated coupling for a human to do the winding*, so I assume they are automatically wound in some way.

* Failure modes may be interesting if I am correct.

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Hi Jo,

These look like 3-links without the middle drop link of an instanter

I'll give you that one Mick, it's been a long week...one more shift to go. Principal of benefits over a screw still stand though ;-)

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

I see nothing on the pictures of the automated coupling for a human to do the winding*, so I assume they are automatically wound in some way.

* Failure modes may be interesting if I am correct.

Roy

Unless there's something I'm missing, having spent all week winding screw links in and out, the winding handle is in the little rest on the side of the coupling to stop it becoming undone. The only linkage I can see appears to be a lift mechanism. You'd need a motor on the end of the thread and a way to control the handle so you can move it in and out of the stowed position. Much simpler just to have a member off staff to throw it on and off. Anyway, this all seems rather a diversion seems modellers tend to prefer NEMs!

Jo

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, Steadfast said:

Instanters are lighter and easier for a shunter to throw on or off a hook than a screw coupling, they also don't go stiff of not oiled. Much less maintenance intensive than a screw.

Jo

And therefore much to be preferred! They don't look automated at all. If a shunter (ie a human) is still needed then why a camera? 

• Like 1