Revolution Trains Clayton Class 18 battery hybrid loco

newbryford

9 hours ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

The model is progressing in development but the Class 18s have been delayed entering service due to some modifications required so they can 'touch' Network Rail track.

At locations such as Eastleigh or other larger industrial areas (refineries, quarries etc) it may be that while the locomotives spend 90% of their time on private tracks, they may need to draw trains out onto exchange sidings that come under the purview of Network Rail.

It's our understanding that the first few will be entering service in the next month or so, once these modifications are complete.  We have a provisional arrangement to go and film the first two locos when they are deployed and of course once we have some images, footage and more information we will share.

cheers

Ben A.

Awesome ben, thankyou for the info on all fronts.
Really looking forward to the model joining the steelworks fleet on plumtree works, will look interesting next to the scunthorpe locos, including the KR Hunslets when they arrive 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi all,

For those who couldn't make it to Taunton here are is a shot of the Class 18 operating on Oak Road, built and owned by @Revolution Mike B

IMG_8550.jpg.26fc70e486b95f85b917909c611e9885.jpg

As with all EP samples there are some issues which need correcting - eg the fit of some parts will be refined and the sand pipes are a little too long, so they were catching on the high ballast on the rear siding of the virtual quarry - but broadly speaking the model is where we expect it to be at this stage.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi all,

For those who couldn't make it to Taunton here are is a shot of the Class 18 operating on Oak Road, built and owned by @Revolution Mike B

IMG_8550.jpg.26fc70e486b95f85b917909c611e9885.jpg

As with all EP samples there are some issues which need correcting - eg the fit of some parts will be refined and the sand pipes are a little too long, so they were catching on the high ballast on the rear siding of the virtual quarry - but broadly speaking the model is where we expect it to be at this stage.

cheers

Ben A.

Obviously I’m slightly biased but for a first EP it ran very well over my rather uneven track and pointwork.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Cumbrian Coast Express - water stop for British India Line. Only thing she could see would be a coach I think.

.....as there was no diesel on the back.......which might be an issue later in the journey....just saying..

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, gpplumy said:

any news on this lately

The real thing hasnt much news..

There's 9 in this video stored at Wolverton works, shot March 2023..

All 15 shunters have been delivered to Wolverton for storage now. 
afaik only one has been used for testing which ended last year.

Apparently a class 09 has recently been hired for shunting at Wolverton.. you have to wonder if that was a missed oppourtunity.

What did puzzle me about these, is the idea of using them in remote yards etc.. is charging them ?… unless theres an AA van with jump leads, I guess a prospective hirer would need to ensure sufficient power is available from the grid, in a location which quite often can be remote / out of town. Add to that the cost of setting up charging facilities on top of the hire cost maybe limiting opportunities to larger bulk / long term hires at locations with considerable rail infrastructure, which in the UK we dont have that many locations needing them , which maybe why the 08 wins on everything else ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

When the drone video was shot nearly a year ago the Class 18s had been sent to Wolverton for storage pending Network Rail approval.

This process was necessary because it became clear that customers would need the locomotives to occasionally 'touch' the network.  The Tata steel and Sellafield versions, which do not need to run over Network Rail track, do not require this so have been in service now for several years.

My understanding is that later this month the first will be deployed from Wolverton, with further deployments taking place over the coming months.  The locos require (I think) a 415V charging station but this is not considered a huge issue in most industrial applications.

The 08s have had a fantastically long and successful service life but in terms of ongoing maintenance, sourcing spares and environmental concerns they are reaching the end of their days, at least for mainstream industrial use.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Revolution Ben
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Revolution Ben said:

Hi there,

When the drone video was shot nearly a year ago the Class 18s had been sent to Wolverton for storage pending Network Rail approval.

This process was necessary because it became clear that customers would need the locomotives to occasionally 'touch' the network.  The Tata steel and Sellafield versions, which do not need to run over Network Rail track, do not require this so have been in service now for several years.

My understanding is that later this month the first will be deployed from Wolverton, with further deployments taking place over the coming months.  The locos require (I think) a 415V charging station but this is not considered a huge issue in most industrial applications.

The 08s have had a fantastically long and successful service life but in terms of ongoing maintenance, sourcing spares and environmental concerns they are reaching the end of their days, at last for mainstream industrial use.

cheers

Ben A.

As I want to order a BNFL CBD18 version for my highly condensed Sellafield layout, can you let me know what the length of the model is over the couplers, so I can plan my minimum length siding for one of my shortest trains (Class 18 and FNA-D)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, TravisM said:

As I want to order a BNFL CBD18 version for my highly condensed Sellafield layout, can you let me know what the length of the model is over the couplers, so I can plan my minimum length siding for one of my shortest trains (Class 18 and FNA-D)

The loco is 183mm over the outer faces of the tension lock couplers.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

What did puzzle me about these, is the idea of using them in remote yards etc.. is charging them ?… unless theres an AA van with jump leads, I guess a prospective hirer would need to ensure sufficient power is available from the grid, in a location which quite often can be remote / out of town.

Anywhere that remote wouldn't need one of these anyway, it'd be a shunt with the train loco type location.

Any yard big enough to need a permanent shunting loco, would have grid connections for floodlights, cabin facilities etc already. 

Jo

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

Isn't the onboard diesel engine capable of charging as well?

Yes - the onboard diesel is designed to give the batteries a top up if there isn't time to get it back to the charging location for a full charge, but obviously this is not intended to be the default operating method as that would impact its green credentials. 

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

As I've ordered Class 18/CBD 18 BNFL 1 from Rails, seriously tempted to order number 2 as well for my Sellafield layout, I was wondering if anyone knows if these two came in via road from Clayton's or were they dragged in?  I'm pretty sure they came in by road but it would be nice on a future layout have one behind a Class 37 or 68.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 16:51, TravisM said:

As I've ordered Class 18/CBD 18 BNFL 1 from Rails, seriously tempted to order number 2 as well for my Sellafield layout, I was wondering if anyone knows if these two came in via road from Clayton's or were they dragged in?  I'm pretty sure they came in by road but it would be nice on a future layout have one behind a Class 37 or 68.

road i think, i know scunthorpe and port talbots were delivered by road. i imagine it costs too much by rail

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, gpplumy said:

road i think, i know scunthorpe and port talbots were delivered by road. i imagine it costs too much by rail

I pretty much thought that, costs as well as being certified to run on NR rails make travelling by road a no brainer.  Nice to have seen them being dragged up behind a DRS Class 37 though 😜 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TravisM said:

I pretty much thought that, costs as well as being certified to run on NR rails make travelling by road a no brainer.  Nice to have seen them being dragged up behind a DRS Class 37 though 😜 

that i can understand ;) i also know moving something by rail aint cheap ! lol

• Agree 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Simon Bendall said:

Any idea if 18003 is still at Scunthorpe please? Some suggestion it may have already departed back to Wolverton.

not sure, ill try my best to find out

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1