Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, great northern said:

Jonathan and I have both failed to find a way forward with this, I'm afraid. I'd like to do it, but just can't work out how, so any suggestions gratefully received. I think part of the problem is that my knowledge of the subject, save perhaps for East Coast matters, is rather sketchy.

Hello Gilbert

I'm happy to forward The Wishlist Poll coaching stock data to you. 

Brian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Gilbert

I'm happy to forward The Wishlist Poll coaching stock data to you. 

Brian

Now there’s an idea. I still think it would need to be done in two stages. But you could ask people to nominate their favourite from the wish list poll (probably the bold headings) to create a shortlist. Then take the resulting shortlist, divide it into categories and ask people to vote on that - possibly on a knock out basis as I described earlier, or possibly just by broad category (LNER, GWR, BR etc.)

• RMweb Premium

My vote goes to:

1 - Didcot, Newbury and Southampton (but it didn't get to the last named, joining the LSWR Southampton mainline not far south of Winchester).

2 - Somerset and Dorset - the whole system.

3 - LSWR main line from Salisbury to Exeter  - tied with - GWR line from Reading to Taunton via Newbury and Westbuy.

Regards

Chris H

• RMweb Premium

40 pts at golf today. 35 would be playing to handicap, so I done good.

The poll?  Perhaps a bit far afield for this thread, but the railways of the Isle of Wight attracted 3 votes, and are therefore the winners.

While I'm cogitating on the suggestions for future polls, I'll carry on with this one, but move closer to home. I remember a long discussion some time back about what is and what isn't East Anglia, so I won't use that description. The best archetypal branch or cross country line in Norfolk Suffolk Essex or Cambridgeshire, seaside branches not included. Now I'll wait for the "wot about" posts.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

40 pts at golf today. 35 would be playing to handicap, so I done good.

The poll?  Perhaps a bit far afield for this thread, but the railways of the Isle of Wight attracted 3 votes, and are therefore the winners.

While I'm cogitating on the suggestions for future polls, I'll carry on with this one, but move closer to home. I remember a long discussion some time back about what is and what isn't East Anglia, so I won't use that description. The best archetypal branch or cross country line in Norfolk Suffolk Essex or Cambridgeshire, seaside branches not included. Now I'll wait for the "wot about" posts.

Wow that opens up a big area, because once past Colchester and/or Cambridge it all becomes a cross country line.

So today's vote goes to the all the Clochester to Cambridge routes Via Sudbury and Haverhill, Sudbury and Bury St Edmuds as well as Halstead and Haverhill.

• Like 2

Ooh that's a tough one.  My suggestion would be the Midland and Great Northern line.

All suggestions so far have been excellent, I even lived in Ongar for a few years in the early 90s and belonged to the railway club for a few years between about 1978 and 81, the only time I have belonged to a club. I think it disbanded a few years later, not my fault!

Martyn

• RMweb Premium

Cambridge-Bury St. Edmunds-Ipswich.  Remember riding it often in original DMUs looking through the cab windows, and realising East Anglia isn't flat at all!  And wondering how the train would fit into Newmarket Tunnel.

1 hour ago, great northern said:

Afternoon tea is being taken, having done some pruning of a shrub. Rather satisfying that was. Channelled destruction.

We haven't had a plonk for a while, so here is a North facing one by way of a change.

215990303_1plonk1.JPG.97796599fcaf6df4a45bcf744e97d941.JPG

I do like these random shots that show views not normally seen. In the best possible sense, you are a great plonker!

Lloyd

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

I choose the Midland and Great Northern.

A line which could be very busy at times but quiet at others.

The locos must have looked very different frm most other railways in their "golden gorse" livery.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Looks like the unprofitable M&GNR might win today.

No one mentioned the other Midland venture  south of Bristol yesterday. The S&DJR. Or the railway that had its head office in Swindon. The M&SWR, despite it only had Midland in its name not part owned by the MR.

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, great northern said:

Thank you Brian. That would be very helpful.

OK Gilbert, I will create an 'ordinary' Word document so that you can put the stock into any order or content you see fit. Might take me a day or so, but will PM to you asap.

Brian

• Thanks 1