Peterborough North

great northern

12 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Nice Greater Manchester summer's day there by the look of it.

Hence the well-known Mancunian saying:

'If you can see the hills, it's going to rain; if you can't see the hills, it IS raining'

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

29 minutes ago, 2750Papyrus said:

I'd have to vote for Didsbury.  In 1965 I lived nearby and caught a local train into Central to get to Uni in Salford.  It also had through expresses and a goods yard, and is being beautifully modelled by a forum member.

Now I assume you're referring to Withington and West Didsbury station on the South District line and not East Didsbury on the Styal loop line? I know to my cost how 'picky' our arbiter can be on such details.

Good shout by the way. And, yes, a fine recreation in model form in the making. And, happily, now just 'West Didsbury' is back on the railway map, albeit in tramway form.:locomotive:

Edited by LNER4479

3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Now I assume you're referring to Withington and West Didsbury station on the South District line and not East Didsbury on the Styal loop line? I know to my cost how 'picky' our arbiter can be on such details.

Good shout by the way. And, yes, a fine recreation in model form in the making. And, happily, now just 'West Didsbury' is back on the railway map, albeit in tramway form.:locomotive:

No, West Didsbury had closed by then.  Didsbury station was at the junction of Wilmslow and Barlow Moor Roads and School Lane..

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I need to support the suggestion of St Enodoc.. well we have built a model of Chapel-en-le -Frith (Central)  Blue Pullman line,,, ICI hoppers with 8f s pulling both full and empty trains, Jubilees then Royal Scots then Britannias on trains like "The Palatine" and mass freight trains being held in the loop using permissive block working to get the line clear for the express trains (freight and passenger) 

Baz

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, great northern said:

Something completely different today. Back to regional centres, and a look at small(er)  through stations on lines radiating from Manchester. About a 20 mile radius from the centre, let's say, but I won't be examining mileages too closely.

Edale.

Adrian

• RMweb Gold

Is Cheadle Hulme permissible? I've only alighted and joined once, in 1967, going to see a former fancy, whose family had relocated, from Chessington. I last saw her in 1970 in rural Aberdeenshire but we had a phonecall on Christmas Day 2012, a few months after I lost Deb. 12 years ago today, Deb almost lost her life in a car crash, not her fault in any way, but she never walked again. Sorry, chaps. 

• Friendly/supportive 13

• RMweb Gold

Having lived in Manchester for four years as a student in the late 60s/ early 70s I can think of lots of suitable stations.

I am going to go for Stalybridge, but it could just as well have been another place.

David

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, great northern said:

1443264499_7652.JPG.d833477ed0040ad60aa63ad1cad711a4.JPG

A very common sight in 1958, as were all the KX and Grantham Pacifics. If we'd realised how little life they had left, might we have appreciated them more? Probably not, because we were about to discover what girls were for.

Accompanying you on trainspotting trips, surely?:tender:

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Premium

An easy winner this morning. Chapel en le Frith with 4 votes, nothing else more than one. That means Clive is a winner again, and as I know what he spent yesterday shovelling, he deserves it. Today, the WCML from outer London suburbs as far as Crewe. Again, wayside stations but not the bigger junctions we have already done. I shall include one particular station, on the grounds that if you didn't visit it as a spotter, you must surely know about it. It is a junction, but qualifies because it is on two levels. Being in generous mode, you can also have stations around Birmingham, as otherwise it gets by passed. Some might say that's the best thing to do with it anyway, I suppose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another vote for Wolverton - which is still a station, but the LNWR buildings are now gone - replaced by modern ones in the last 20 years. This is of course the second Wolverton Station on the 4 track avoiding lines round the oldest parts of the works and the original London & Birmingham station.

Wolverton also still has the railway works (Just!!) and Royal Train shed. It was once the junction for the Newport Pagnell branch, but that was closed and lifted in the 1960s. There was also the 3ft 6in gauge Wolverton and Stony Stratford steam tramway - which became part of the LNWR and hence the LMS - but closed in 1926, with the General Strike.

Regards

Chris H (A local resident for some 46 years)

• Like 2