The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Way too hot for me in the Pacific NW at the moment. Just hope it cools down when we visit this summer.

It's going to be rather hot here in the South East the next few days as well.

I think the heat might kill a few plants on our patio!!!!

Edited by roundhouse

No heat wave here, temperature hovering around 13 degC. First day back in the normal routine, so up before 6.30 to walk the dogs. We have had a couple of showers already and it looks to remain that way for the rest of the week. We are just too close to the Atlantic! 

We were so busy over the weekend that I have only just heard the sad news from Tunisia. It puts one's own minor problems into perspective.

A crack appeared in the corner of the car windscreen over the weekend. Strangely, it's on the inner laminate only so it must be a stress fracture.

Is the BBC running out of money? Both Countryfile and the Antiques Roadshow were full of repeats yesterday, so I got on and did something useful instead.

Enjoy the week and try not to get too hot and bothered.

Jock, it was quite brilliant seeing so many people on site enjoying themselves.  I didn't expect to be doing anything other than perhaps ushering a few visitors but I did get a good spell as guard on the back of a train before and after the official proceedings and Ray got to drive the morning steam engine.  One of the timings was spot on as it gave me the chance to give a welcoming wave to the Mayor and the Mayoress passing by on their way to the entrance.  I'm surprised I had the nerve to do that but it's funny how you can forget your inhibitions when doing a 'job' and one of the the jobs on the train is to wave, I believe. :mosking:

You are quite right about the waving!  I find myself doing it all the time when on the Ratty, especially when meeting trains coming the other way at the crossover loops.  It just seems to help make it more of an experience for the passengers - both young and old!

Looks like a change of plan today.  We had planned to drive to Wales tomorrow, but as the weather forecast is so good, I have been informed that we should go today instead.  This means charging round all morning getting things sorted, and then setting off late afternoon, hopefully so that we miss the evening rush hour around Preston & Warrington.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Warm and sunny here. I will be seeing Matthew briefly this morning. I will take our largest suitcase to him and bring back a load of his stuff in the case he has there. He has to be out of his accommodation by Saturday. Driving up isn't really possible due to lack of parking near where he lives (Northumberland Avenue) and going up on a Senior Railcard discount may even be cheaper than driving anyway.

Tony

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

roundhouse, on 29 Jun 2015 - 05:59, said:snapback.png

...I have yet to tell her.

...don't?

Or own up with a promise of some new planting.  :yes:

Edit:  And if you're lucky she'll tell you she didn't like them after all.

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

roundhouse, on 29 Jun 2015 - 05:59, said:snapback.png

Or own up with a promise of some new planting. :yes:

Edit: And if you're lucky she'll tell you she didn't like them after all.

I would just admit my mistake. But I would hope the plants survive. Some weedkillers aren't very effective! Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Looks like its going to be a hot one especially mid week, I hope its a bit cooler for our exhibition at the weekend.

A poor nights sleep thinking about too many things.

Then at about half past midnight it suddenly dawned on me that I had used the wrong spray on my other halfs plants after I cleaned the patio. I had used the weedkiller one rather than the bug one. So I went outside and sprayed them with a lot of water. Probably too late but fingers crossed they survive!!!

I have yet to tell her.

I hope it wasn't glyphosphate, when I've used it it doesn't seem to show any effects until there is a shower. Possibly it 'dries' on the plants and it needs the rain to absorb the weed killer.

Way too hot f me in the Pacific NW at the moment. Just hope it cools down when we visit this summer.

It's going to be rather hot here in the South East the next few days as well.

I think the heat might kill a few plants on our patio!!!!

:whistle: or :girldevil:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Looks like its going to be a hot one especially mid week, I hope its a bit cooler for our exhibition at the weekend.

I hope it wasn't glyphosphate, when I've used it it doesn't seem to show any effects until there is a shower. Possibly it 'dries' on the plants and it needs the rain to absorb the weed killer.

:whistle: or :girldevil:

It comes in a green spray bottle.

The bug clear is in a red one - how I got that mixed up I dont know :scratchhead:

Well at least some good might come out of it if I am still alive and walking. It will be easier to keep the patio clean.

But dont tell her I said that.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The bug clear is in a red one - how I got that mixed up I dont know :scratchhead:

Red/Green colour vision deficiency, about 1 in 11 males are affected.

Morning all, blue skies with some white cloud over Borough Market Junction. Nice to see Smiffy's pictures of the area I work in. Had a few pints in the Shipwrights on occasion!

Not quite the weekend we'd planned as I ended replacing a broken loo seat and failing to get the strip light in the garage working despite acquiring a new 1800m tube. Younger Lurker now has earache so is off school. Elder Lurker was in mini strop because he'd decided we could play tennis and then it rained...."I have this country"!!

Lots to be getting on including calling the doctors to see if I need another appointment for a referral and Invicta about a Black Motor. Oh and work....

have  good day all

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well at least some good might come out of it if I am still alive and walking. It will be easier to keep the patio clean.

But dont tell her I said that.

Maybe you had a sudden bout of temporary red-green blindness.  :blind: :mosking: 8)

I recently bought the dab-it-on weedkiller and tried it out on a handful of weeds including a couple of wild raspberry shoots.  They're going brown...if it gets rid of the raspberries I'll be happy but I expect I'll have to work at it.

So. Good morning all and hope you have a productive day.

• Like 13

Looks like a change of plan today.  We had planned to drive to Wales tomorrow, but as the weather forecast is so good, I have been informed that we should go today instead.  This means charging round all morning getting things sorted, and then setting off late afternoon, hopefully so that we miss the evening rush hour around Preston & Warrington.

Check out the A55 before you leave, Simon.

It seems that a day doesn't pass without some new problem arising.

Morning all.

Bob - I hope Chris' colleagues are found safe.

Roundhouse - do you have plausible deniability? If not, simply try to confuse the issue.

Shopping, and then picking Daisy up from school. We need to have a chat with her as she's obviously upset at the attention her new sister gets...

Julie's plan is to show her how to use the bandsaw and sanding centre to make a little beach hut (Julie makes and sells them).

I'm doing some Monty in the Meantime.

Have a good day, all. Enjoy the weather while you can.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

You are quite right about the waving!  I find myself doing it all the time when on the Ratty, especially when meeting trains coming the other way at the crossover loops.  It just seems to help make it more of an experience for the passengers - both young and old!

Thanks for the encouragement, Simon.  There was mention in the Chairman's speech, Saturday, highlighting the excitement to come with trains passing each other on completion of the railway's inner loop.  The Chairman publicly set a challenge to the society of it being done by the end of the year....I guess that means up and running sometime next season, this time with a GRAND Opening.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

The heat is here again, and we are threatened with 38 on Wednesday, which is 100 in old money. But I now sense things may be changing for the slightly cooler, and there is a suggestion of showers mid-week, too.

Nevertheless it was carpe diem for me at 9, this time with the push-mower, but by 10 my shower and the clean tee-shirt were history.

Simon - I find it very difficult to wave at someone and not smile at the same time, so that's part of the art in your role, I suggest.

Hope your week sets off in good form, and you do too!

• Like 18

I can't believe you lot are encouraging Roundhouse to lie about the destruction of the plants.

Just hope it destroys them completely and then deny that they existed in the first place. Plants, what plants?

• Like 2

And before I go off to do other things, I thought you might be interested to know more about Llandudno's Alice.

I think this may be a different Alice than the one who was well known in Llandudno in my teenage years.

I'd heard her referred to as a bike but not an engine.

Morning all

The heat is here again, and we are threatened with 38 on Wednesday, which is 100 in old money. But I now sense things may be changing for the slightly cooler, and there is a suggestion of showers mid-week, too.

Nevertheless it was carpe diem for me at 9, this time with the push-mower, but by 10 my shower and the clean tee-shirt were history.

Simon - I find it very difficult to wave at someone and not smile at the same time, so that's part of the art in your role, I suggest.

Hope your week sets off in good form, and you do too!

Ian, yesterdays weather report here showed Spanish heat of 40° moving northwards this week.

I think this may be a different Alice than the one who was well known in Llandudno in my teenage years.

I'd heard her referred to as a bike but not an engine.

Did she need a kick start to get her going?

Hat, coat off on bike.